Missouri & Iowa with the Stocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great story about Red!

Linda, I was looking at the Oct. 2011 issue of Family Motor Coaching and on p. 45 is an article "A Home for Big Cats."  It's the Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge in Eureka Springs, Arkansas right on the MO border in northwest Arkansas.  You'd love it!  They have about 118 large cats on 70 acres in the middle of the Ozarks.  Their mission is to rescue and provide a permanent home to neglected, abused, and abandoned exotic cats.  They have a cart tour available for handicapped.  They also have a small onsite campground for RVs with 20-amp, water, sewage, picnic tables, and fire rings.  www.turpentinecreek.org

ArdraF

There are lots of deserving orphan doggies in pounds all over the country. Bet you could find Sherlock a nice hairy friend....maybe even another cat !

Wendy
Farmington NM, FMCA Rocky Mountain Ramble

ArdraF said:
Great story about Red!

Linda, I was looking at the Oct. 2011 issue of Family Motor Coaching and on p. 45 is an article "A Home for Big Cats."  It's the Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge in Eureka Springs, Arkansas right on the MO border in northwest Arkansas.  You'd love it!  They have about 118 large cats on 70 acres in the middle of the Ozarks.  Their mission is to rescue and provide a permanent home to neglected, abused, and abandoned exotic cats.  They have a cart tour available for handicapped.  They also have a small onsite campground for RVs with 20-amp, water, sewage, picnic tables, and fire rings.  www.turpentinecreek.org

ArdraF

Thanks so much.  Your timing is incredible!  I was just telling Dean as we drove home tonight that we need to get serious about re-planning this trip.  I am thinking Gulf and Texas, maybe.  I want to see wildlife.  We are in trees, but I am seeing no birds--not even bluebirds, which are supposed to be year-round here.  Not even squirrels!  We have put out mini-melons, suet, seed, and no one comes.  So, wildlife in nearby Arkansas, even in a rescue setting, really appeals.

Wendy said:
There are lots of deserving orphan doggies in pounds all over the country. Bet you could find Sherlock a nice hairy friend....maybe even another cat !

Wendy

I am really not a dog person; that's why I was so surprised at the magnetic draw I felt toward Red.  I would have been very willing to clean up her poop--which is one of the main reasons i don't want a dog.  All of our animals have found us, and we have kept them after doing everything we could think of, or have been rescue cats from the pound.  But, one is enough.  We don't have any "accidents" or problems, and I don't want to screw up a good thing by introducing another kitty.

What are you doing in NM?  Is that an FMCA rally?

Need to check out the caveman BBQ Outside of Richland, Mo. I44 to highway 133 north watch for signs. You will eat in a live cave. Very nice place over looking to river below.

Dean & Linda Stock said:
What are you doing in NM?  Is that an FMCA rally?

Rocky Mountain Ramble, the Rocky Mountain region FMCA rally. Having a great time. Saw a lot of birds yesterday at Bolack Museum. No animals other than dead skunks.

Wendy

October 11, 2011 Day 21 Lebanon, MO

We went up to the Bennett Spring Visitor & Nature Center at 10:00, and we found it closed.  Painters were painting the outside, and they said they had expected the lady with the key to come because they were supposed to paint the inside also.  They have a wonderful fish hatchery,  and the fisherpeople were having a good time.

We moved over to Happy Trails because it is so much closer to our friends? home.  It is also a nice, scenic park, and it has a lake.

We agreed to meet our friends in Springfield to see the Wonders of Wildlife Museum & Aquarium.  I had looked it up on the computer and learned that this was funded and founded by the owner of Pro Bass Shops.  When we got there, we saw an enormous Pro Bass Shop, a Tracker store (sells boats), and a gigantic construction site.  They are ?remodeling?, but if you choose to come, call ahead and make sure it?s completed.

So we made lemonade.  We went into the Pro Bass store and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.  Dean bought comfortable sandals ($40), I got a disaster radio that I?ve been wanting, and a new, better birdfeeder.  We had a really good time just shopping, and all 6 of us bought enough that we all needed shopping carts.  We had fun.

All this shopping made us hungry, so we headed to Lambert?s, a true Southern restaurant.  They are famous for their ?throwed rolls?, and the thrower is a great pitcher.  He can hit your hand from 3 rows of booths away.  I consider that a kind of gimmick, but the food was no joke.  The rolls were the best I?ve ever tasted!  I am not a bread lover, and I ate two halves.  They also have a girl coming around with  a sorghum syrup that is wonderful.  We ate fried apples, Chicken fried steak, pork chops (4 different preparations), barbecued ribs, catfish, and pulled pork.  You choose 2 side dishes from a list of 15-20 choices.  Our friend asked if the green beans were canned.  The waitress said, ?No,? and they were canned.  I think that is the only thing that wasn?t fresh. The yams were super sugary.  There are waiters circulating through the room constantly bringing you rolls, macaroni and tomatoes (too sweet), fried potatoes and onions, black-eyed peas, and good fried okra.  Portions were huge?we all left with enough for another meal.  I left with my whole rack of ribs.  Prices were very reasonable.  The total bill for 6 people was $104 + tip.  We were there early (a little before 5), and when we left at 6:00, the line was along two very long benches, and out the door?and this was a weeknight.

Tomorrow we go to a Jeep-drawn tram tour of  Majestic Cave.

We got home early enough to do trip planning, and we have decided to head to Arkansas, Louisiana, and if time, Texas.  We have a pretty extensive file on Texas, but could use input on Arkansas and Louisiana.  Any favorites, most hated spots??  We always gather a lot of info before we leave, but we had expected to spend a lot of time in Iowa, which didn?t happen.  We go to Branson tomorrow, and we?ll look for a AAA club.

Weather: Low 50?s to low 70?s, with some sun, but intermittent showers, and the evening storm included big downpours and lightning and thunder
Staying at Happy Trails Campground, FHU, 50 amps,  beautiful trees, great Direct TV and Internet reception, wonderful owners, eager to please  $30

mnmnutswer said:
Need to check out the caveman BBQ Outside of Richland, Mo. I44 to highway 133 north watch for signs. You will eat in a live cave. Very nice place over looking to river below.

It was on my itinerary to go to between Jeff City & Lebanon.  However, Dean got a stomach flu, and that day was the worst, so we had to by-pass it.  But, I appreciate your comment, and I'm going to look it up to see if it's possible to go to from Branson or when we go south to Arkansas.

While in Branson, be sure to visit Steal Your Dollar City Silver Dollar City.  Just kidding about "steal your dollar".  It's just an old local term.  SDC is not cheap, but you can get your money's worth.  My son runs the furniture shop as well as the main gift shop you pass through on your way out.  Spend some money and help him keep his job(s).  If you like touring caves, take the Marvel Cave tour (inside SDC).

Linda

A Harvest Hosts winery is in Springfield, OOVVDA Winery, http://www.oovvda.com/. If you hadn't heard before, Harvest Hosts is a membership club, maybe like Passport America, where you can stay free (usually boondocking) at member hosts. The hosts are wineries, farms, orchards, a creamery, a donkey refuge, etc. We stayed at OOVVDA last summer, parked in the vineyard for a couple of nites, and had a great tour of the winery and tasting bar (nice to be able to walk back to your home ;D ). Also met some friends for dinner at Lamberts, didn't miss a roll throwed.

The Blanchard Springs Caverns near Mountain View, Arkansas is one of those gems like you love.  Most people don't know about it because it's run by the U.S. Forest Service.  My friend's husband was responsible for getting it ready to open to the public.  They hired the same person who did the lighting at Kennedy Center to do theirs and it's beautifully done.  It's at least partially handicapped accessible so you'd need to check that.  It's one of the most beautiful caverns we've ever visited!  I think there's nearby camping as well.  We haven't been there for many years but it's a wonderful memory.

ArdraF

You must eat at Lamberts in the town of Ozark. Just south of Springfiend. The place where they throw the HOT rolls at you. Lots of fun and great food.

Molaker said:
While in Branson, be sure to visit Steal Your Dollar City Silver Dollar City.  Just kidding about "steal your dollar".  It's just an old local term.  SDC is not cheap, but you can get your money's worth.  My son runs the furniture shop as well as the main gift shop you pass through on your way out.  Spend some money and help him keep his job(s).  If you like touring caves, take the Marvel Cave tour (inside SDC).

Thanks!  We'll try to put it in, depending on how expensive it is.  However, we splurge on those activities that sound like we'll really enjoy them.  We are going to a lot of shows in Branson, and that's going to be pretty pricy.  I do like caves, so we'll definitely research it. 

ArdraF said:
The Blanchard Springs Caverns near Mountain View, Arkansas is one of those gems like you love.  Most people don't know about it because it's run by the U.S. Forest Service.  My friend's husband was responsible for getting it ready to open to the public.  They hired the same person who did the lighting at Kennedy Center to do theirs and it's beautifully done.  It's at least partially handicapped accessible so you'd need to check that.  It's one of the most beautiful caverns we've ever visited!  I think there's nearby camping as well.  We haven't been there for many years but it's a wonderful memory.

ArdraF

A while back Miekle, another Forum member, recommended this also.  Hearing a place twice puts it on my Must See List.  Thanks so much!

BernieD said:
Linda

A Harvest Hosts winery is in Springfield, OOVVDA Winery, http://www.oovvda.com/. If you hadn't heard before, Harvest Hosts is a membership club, maybe like Passport America, where you can stay free (usually boondocking) at member hosts. The hosts are wineries, farms, orchards, a creamery, a donkey refuge, etc. We stayed at OOVVDA last summer, parked in the vineyard for a couple of nites, and had a great tour of the winery and tasting bar (nice to be able to walk back to your home ;D ). Also met some friends for dinner at Lamberts, didn't miss a roll throwed.

Thanks, I will definitely check into Harvest Hosts. It sounds like we could have some different experiences.  Unfortunately, after I had our children, I developed a big allergy to wine.  I miss it, but it isn't worth itching all over like a crazy lady.  The other places sound very different and interesting.

October 12, 2011 Day 22 Lebanon, MO

We visited with friends, and they shopped at the Case Knife outlet, a must stop if you are interested in Chicago Cutlery, pottery, or knives.  I think they called it Shepherd Hills Outlet Center.  We didn?t go to Majestic Cave because of the rain.  We enjoyed our day socializing.

Weather: Low 50?s to low 70?s, with intermittent showers,accompanied by some nice lightning and thunder
Staying at Happy Trails Campground, FHU, 50 amps,  beautiful trees, great Direct TV and Internet reception, wonderful owners, eager to please  $30

You are almost in my back yard. We live in the Saint Robert area just outside Fort Leonard Wood. The Army post is also another great visit area and easy to get on the post.

October 13, 2011 Day 23 Branson, MO

We drove the 2 hours from Lebanon to Branson.  Traffic was good until we hit Branson, where it was very congested.  We were so glad our GPS guided us accurately to our RV park.  RVForumers had made some recommendations, but they were all full, didn?t answer, or had busy phones.  Passport America had the Pea Patch at a half-price of  $19, and is located right on ?The Strip?.  Just as Dean finished registering, I reached Betty Brewer?s recommendation, Escapees Turkey Creek Village, and they only wanted $17.  Pea Patch has all the facilities, but no ambience.  I wish we had tried Turkey Creek.  I called Dean, suggested we just get 2 nights here, but he really liked the managers, and he decided to spend all 7 nights at Pea Patch.  The manager did a great job of guiding us to our spot.  Most of the RV parks are between $35 and $50.

RVForumers had recommended that we make reservations a week ahead, and I wish we could have.  However, we didn?t know how long we would be with our friends in Lebanon.  RVForumers said they had been able to purchase their show tickets at the RV parks, and we could have.  We stopped at a discount ticket booth and were able to get tickets for 9 shows we wanted to see at a cost of $666.  The only one we couldn?t get was Andy Williams, and the ticket seller said he is supposedly ill, but the talk is that he is resting his voice in preparation for his Christmas program.  After all, he is 84 or 85.  Ticket cost was equal between the park and the booth.

Tonight we went to see our #1 pick, the Oak Ridge Boys.  We have seen them perform many times before; they were SPECTACULAR, as always.  I always feel heartened when I leave their performance.  They put on a fantastic show.

We need to be grateful for what we have this Thanksgiving.  While the recession has caused a big OUCH for us, it?s nothing like what it is for others.  The owner of the last campground said that this year he has only had 30% of the business he usually has.  The ticket seller said that Branson got through the first 2 years of the recession OK, but this year they have really suffered.  We saw big beautiful buildings that we think were once theatres, and they were shuttered.  We saw whole modern shopping malls totally vacant.  The show tonight was about 60% full, and they are one of the most popular acts.

Staying at Pea Patch?FHU, 50 amps, very nice managers, theatre tickets available at a discount, all gravel, built on tiers, not scenic at all, $19.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom