Missouri & Iowa with the Stocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mnmnutswer said:
You are almost in my back yard. We live in the Saint Robert area just outside Fort Leonard Wood. The Army post is also another great visit area and easy to get on the post.

Then you are near Sweet Water BBQ.  I really wanted to go there because I admire the family that owns it and their diligence in building it over a period of 10 years by hand with rocks from the river.  I also wanted to eat at the Cave BBQ, but I guess we will have to save them for next time.

I am freinds with family of sweet water we live just one mile from there. We visit with the family a lot the whole family are special people. Great place to eat they did work very had building the place all by family and by hand. Cave man BBQ is also another great place has a new owner as of a year ago he is a very nice person. He has opened up the location and made a few great inprovements. Gary is the owner and we have known him about ten years. I can send you food when ever you need....lol.

October 14, 2011 Day 24 Branson, MO

We went to the Shoji Theatre to pick up our tickets.  Usually the ticket seller was able to reach the theatres by phone, but not the Shoji, so we got a pink slip and went to the theatre.  We got good seats, probably because the show is 4 days from now. 

I wanted fresh fruit, so we looked them up on our GPS and found The Apple Store.  It was a large store with a decent selection?especially considering that they are shutting their doors forever at the end of the month.  How sad!

We then went to the historic downtown, where they have a real 5 and 10 cent store.  We purchased a quilted hanging at the quilt store and loved the aroma at the leather shop.  We stopped at Mr. B?s, an ice cream shop I would recommend.  They served soup, sandwiches, and several specialties, like the Branson apple?a sliced apple, caramel syrup, whipped cream, nuts, and a cherry.  They also had freshly made lemonade and limeade, which is what I ordered.  It was great! Dean enjoyed his cup of sugar-free ice cream, something that is hard to find around here.  The proprietor is very nice and goes out of his way to keep you happy.

We got to the Sight & Sound Theatre at 2:00 for the 3:00 performance, and the parking lot was empty.  Alarm bells went off in my mind, but when I checked our voucher, I had the right day and time.  We went inside and learned there was no 3:00 show.  They were sold out on all performances because they close tomorrow until December.  However, they gave us front row seats for the 7:30 performance.  Yippee!

?Noah? is a musical extravaganza with live animals such as camels, horses, and goats.  They had well-done animatronics for the tortoises, cows, and elephants, and many other animals.  The stage action took place at the front of the theatre, but in the scenes where Noah and his family are in the ark, the side walls of the theatre have pens of both real and animatronic animals.  It was a high-energy production with good singing.

Staying at Pea Patch?FHU, 50 amps, very nice managers, theatre tickets available at a discount, all gravel, built on tiers, not scenic at all, $19.

October 15, 2011 Day 25 Branson, MO

Branson has the most enormous outlet mall I?ve ever seen.  They even have a Fuller Brush store!

We went to the afternoon show of the illusionist Kirby Von Burch.  Dean rated it as ?OK?, but I enjoyed it and would rate him as ?good?.  He made big cats appear and culminated his show by making a full-size helicopter appear.  Dean and I have been fortunate enough to see David Copperfield 2 or 3 times, Lance Burton, Harry Blackstone, Jr. several times, and other magicians, so we are more ?onto? how things are or might be done.  I caught how Kirby was performing illusions twice, but many parts of his show were amazing.  His background scene/drapery is very favorable for making transitions and exchanges.  The one part I really disliked is that I am positive he had ?plants? in the audience that allowed his clairvoyant wife to give the room number off a key and the serial number off a dollar bill.  One of these plants was in the row behind me, and I was suspicious of her, but when she didn?t return after the intermission, I knew for sure.  It?s a good family show, and he did some tricks I haven?t seen done before.

In the evening we saw ?SIX?, a very talented sextet of brothers.  They have wonderful voices and do their singing without musical instruments.  Yet it sounds like there?s a band behind them because they are able to make instrument sounds with their mouths.  They have a nice mix of comedy, gospel, patriotism, 50?s music, and tributes. They have been voted Branson?s Best Act, and they are worthy of the honor, although I still would favor the Oak Ridge Boys (I may be biased.).  I would highly recommend this show.

Staying at Pea Patch?FHU, 50 amps, very nice managers, theatre tickets available at a discount, all gravel, built on tiers, not scenic at all, $19.

October 16, 2011 Day 26 Branson, MO

We started with beautiful weather, an omen of a wonderful day in every way.  We drove into Springfield to the Dickerson Park Zoo.  Admission to this community zoo was only $5.  It was highly rated on Trip Advisor and Google Reviews, and they were right on.  The zoo has 49 types of animals (not including reptiles) from South America, Africa, Australia, Missouri, a reptile building, and a petting zoo.  They chose carefully, and I saw many animals new to my eyes.  They had maned wolves (Picture 1),  a gorgeous eclectus parrot, cotton-top tamarins, and the Damara zebra (instead of the more usual Grey?s or Grevy?s).  The colobus monkey has a tail like a horse and long white fur streaming from his shoulders really contrasts with his black body. The cages were immaculate, and the animals were well tended.  The scarlet ibis had the brightest red feathers we?ve seen (Picture 2).  The coloring of the European white stork were gorgeous, and the feathers fell nicely on the body, as if they?d been combed.  I got to feed the giraffes, which I always enjoy.  They have such long tongues!  Their map is the best zoo map we?ve seen.  The workers were happy to answer questions.  At lunch, two peahens proudly displayed their newborn chicks (Picture 3).  The moms were so protective, it was hard to get a photo without mom in part of the picture.  I would rate this a ?Don?t Miss? attraction if you?re near Springfield.

We then went to the Japanese Stroll Garden.  It?s very large and has many interesting Japanese features.  It was shady, which we appreciated since the thermometer got up to 89?.

In the evening we went to see ?The Legend of Kung Fu? at the White House Theater.  It is performed by Chinese who come to the U. S. for 10 months.  They are amazing!  They can tumble, do acrobatics in the air, dance, all while telling a story of a boy?s life.  They did many moves that I would have thought were impossible. The 5 boy actors, aged 8 and 9, are amazingly graceful and would put our break dancers to shame.  It?s like their neck bones aren?t connected to their torso.  I?ve never seen anyone jump rope with their buttocks before.  At the end, everyone in the audience popped up to give them a standing ovation.  We have seen some wonderful shows, but if I could only see one show, this is the one.  What a fabulous day!

Attachments

• IMG_6851.jpg
    IMG_6851.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6847.jpg
    IMG_6847.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6855.jpg
    IMG_6855.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 10
Enjoyed reading about Springfield since that's where the Coca-Cola Convention is going to be in July. I've added the zoo and the Japanese Garden to my list of places to see, along with Fantastic Caverns that I heard about (riding tour of the caverns). Will be watching to see any other interesting places you find in the area.

Wendy
home in Cortez

Wendy said:
Enjoyed reading about Springfield since that's where the Coca-Cola Convention is going to be in July. I've added the zoo and the Japanese Garden to my list of places to see, along with Fantastic Caverns that I heard about (riding tour of the caverns). Will be watching to see any other interesting places you find in the area.

Wendy
home in Cortez

I highly recommend Jacob's Cave, if you come that way.  I read Trip Advisor and Google Reviews, and Fantastic Caverns didn't get great reviews, but the Cave at Silver Dollar City did (though that one has a lot of stairs).  Everyone thought the SDC Cave was wonderful.  Read their reviews.  I didn't schedule Fantastic Caverns because it seemed redundant since we'd already been to Jacob's, and it was costly.  If you can't get the reviews, I'll try to help you. 

Add Lambert's to your Must Eat At List, also today's eatery.  Springfield is only about 30 min. from Branson, maybe a little more, but not much.

I enjoyed the Japanese Stroll Garden because it was cool on a hot day.  It feels like it was designed by a 3rd-generation Japanese-American.  It is not as manicured as other Japanese gardens, nor do they have exclusively Japanese plants.  But I liked its walkways that were shaded by huge trees, beauty spots, koi (take quarters), and decorations.  For the rock features, they used limestone instead of washed rock, and that didn't work for me at all.  I don't think limestone is the least bit pretty, except when water runs over it in a fountain, where it is neutral, just plain brown looking.

October 17, 2011 Day 27 Branson, MO

We went over to The College of the Ozarks Keeter Center for our first meal today.  I had read that we should make reservations for dinner; make reservations anytime.  We had to wait 45 minutes, though it wasn?t bad because we got to explore the lodge and all its displays, from which we learned a lot. There is a heavy emphasis on patriotism, Christian values, hard work, and ethics.

The students pay zero tuition, but must work 15 hours per week?gardening, grinding grain, making ice cream or fruitcakes or jellies, waiting tables, making baskets, etc.  The nickname is ?Hard Work U.?  67% come from Missouri or Arkansas, 2% from foreign lands, and the rest from  other U. S. states.

My garden sandwich, which had portabello mushrooms, eggplant, tomatoes, bell pepper, and more on a focaccia roll.  It was an ?A+.?  Dean had the hamburger, and he said it was ?quite good,? which is high praise. 

I wanted to see their museum, which has many collections that have been donated on many different subjects.  I loved the carved sideboards?absolutely gorgeous.  I got to see lots of  different taxidermied antelope side-by-side, and I worked hard to memorize their names because I often name them incorrectly.  The museum has something for everyone.

We went to the greenhouses and mill, which weren?t worth the time unless you wanted to buy souvenirs. We passed the Honor Pond, and I enjoyed their beautiful white swans and cygnets, as well as many Canadian geese.

This evening we went to the Presleys? show, ?Country Jubilee?.  They?ve been entertaining in Branson for over 40 years and are no relation to Elvis.  Their lead singer has a very good voice; the comedy is cute; they have a large cast of family members. Their variety show was entertaining, but the bar here in Branson is set high.  Everyone I talk to raves about the shows they have seen, and they?ve seen different performers.

October 18, 2011 Day 28 Branson, MO

We slept well last night with light rain on the rooftop, complete with thunder.
The weather has dropped almost 40?, from a high of  89? to a high of  51?.  BRRRR!  And tomorrow night?s performance is an outdoor drama!  And it won?t be any warmer then.  It will probably be in the 30?s.  We?ll stay for as long as we can without freezing.

As for today, we went to the 3:00 performance of  Shoji, who was absolutely spectacular.  I would have never believed I could sit through a show whose primary performer was a ?fiddler? (actually a very accomplished violinist).  The staging is beautiful.  There are  several themes, and with each theme change, there are costume changes.  His show is very classy and precise.  Stereotypes are time, sometimes.  I love the attention to detail that my Japanese-American dentist has.  Shoji has that same preciseness.  Every dance is totally synchronized.  The costumes are elaborate.  Props are of high quality.  His ticket is the highest priced in Branson, and no discounts of any kind apply at any of the ticket dealers.  No coupons in the coupon book for the concession stand, either.  But, he is worth every penny and more!  Absolutely a ?10?!

We went to see Pierce Arrow in the evening.  It is a variety country show and was very entertaining, especially the comedian.

Tomorrow we head to Arkansas?Eureka Springs.  We meander on through Arkansas, then down to Louisiana.

October 19, 2011 Day 29 Branson, MO

We worked all day with household chores and re-mapping since our itinerary has changed.

It was 43? when we got to the Shepherd of the Hills OUTDOOR amphitheatre.  We definitely should have planned to see this when the low was in the mid-70?s 6 days ago.  We came prepared with coats, cold-weather mittens, and blankets. 

The people who were putting on the ?Shepherd of the Hills? play were so nice, and they give everyone a tram ride down to the amphitheatre?which only had about 30 people in the audience.  The amphitheatre probably holds close to 1000.  There are about 30 people in the cast, so we had a 1:1 ratio!

It is a very well-run operation.  There was great action?real horses with wagons racing across a large dirt area, a cabin being set afire, fist fights where the actors hit their own hands with such force we could hear the slaps clearly, and gun fights.  The acting ranged from excellent to OK, which is amazing considering that the script was so poorly written.  It might be OK for a family outing in the summer.  At the intermission, they invite people to come down and square dance with them (their caller was great, and so were the dancers).

Unfortunately, there was a ?breeze? blowing, which made that 43? feel like 3?, and about 2/3 of the way through, we wimped out.  I was all wrapped up in my blanket, but my face was so cold, it hurt.  When I covered my face with my blanket, my glasses fogged up, and I couldn?t see.  The tram driver was so nice when he came to pick us up to take us back to the parking lot.  He said not to feel bad, that the actors were really complaining and wanting to be gone, too. 

October 20, 2011 Day 30 Eureka Springs, Arkansas

We hurried to set up the RV when we arrived in Eureka Springs because I wanted to get to the Turpentine Creek Wildlife Refuge.  We were unable to get our satellite reception because of big trees. 

We got to the TCWR in time for the 4:00 tour, the optimum time.  TCWR rescues primarily big cats, but they also have a servile, a black bear, a coati, and a rabies-vaccinated coyote.  I learned that the coyote could not be released, because if he were ever bitten by a rabid animal, he would not get rabies, but he would become a carrier. We got the cart tour, and our guide was an intern, as were many of the employees.  He has a masters degree in animal behavior research, and he works here as an intern for 6-months for room, board, and $50/week?just to have the experience.  He told us the story of each animal, and there was a recurring theme of breeders in-breeding and creating defective offspring, and individuals who didn?t realize until too late that cute cubs grow up to be big cats who eat a lot, are expensive, and are dangerous.  I can?t understand why some states, primarily Texas, allow people to own exotic animals. At 5:00, the keepers did the feeding, so the animals were very active.  Walmart and Tyson Chicken donate all the food.  Cages were very clean; this is a good facility.  Our visit was interesting and enjoyable, AND it is only because of the wonderful people at the RVForum that we knew to come.

The Refuge has an RV park with FHU and 50-amps.  We will stay there next time.

Then we went to the Ozark Mountain Hoe-Down.  Admission with a coupon and senior discount was $20, which was about $18 too much.  Dean and I thought the jokes were really corny, and they kept repeating the same thing again and again, while they laughed.  The singing wasn?t any better. They asked us to ?Give it up for _____? at least 30 times.  I?ve never been commanded to applaud like that before.  I have always thought applause was a spontaneous acclamation of the performers? skills.  We did enjoy the fiddler, although he had a few mistakes. 

Maybe we just don?t get country humor and performing because many in the audience seemed to enjoy it.  Bummer!

Stayed at Kettle Campground--$13.50 with Passport America discount, 50 amps, FHU, WIFI is $3 extra, and they don?t ask if you want it.  We didn?t discover that our Motosat wouldn?t work until we came back from the TCWR, so we couldn?t get WIFI tonight.

October 21, 2011 Day 31 Eureka Springs, Arkansas

Today was a fun and challenging day.  We made the 45-minute drive to the War Eagle Caverns, going around curve after curve.  When we arrived, there was the aroma of wood burning, smoke rose from a fire pit, and it was a nice walk through the woods to the gift shop.  The gift shop has many interesting rocks and fossils, and they have some high-quality merchandise.  We bought two $12.50 tickets, and then doubts struck.  The owner said she didn?t think my scooter could make it back up the hill at the end because the slope was too steep.  I had done my homework and called twice, but I never spoke with her.  I did describe my scooter, and two different men had told me to ?Come on down.?

We decided that the prudent thing to do would be to go take a look, and Dean and I agreed that we were pretty sure my scooter could handle it.  Going down was no problem, but we had only been told about one downhill slope and then it was supposed to be level.

As we walked down to the cave, our guide told us about the trees (which are well signed).  The sassafras was my favorite.  On each limb of the tree, there are leaves with 3 different shapes.  One is a typical spearmint leaf shape, another has 3 lobes, and another is irregular.  It is the only tree that has different shaped leaves on the same plant.

At the cave entrance, we learned that it was made of limestone, and we were both surprise to see such blunt stalactites and stalagmites. (Picture 1)  In the ?Upside Down Room,? (Picture 2)we saw evidence of a sea floor, complete with crinoid fossils, but the floor had been flipped 180? and was now a cave ceiling.  How could that happen?  I have already e-mailed science friends to find out the answer to that question.  Cute brown  bats hung everywhere and weren?t disturbed by our presence (Picture 3)

There were two waterfalls flowing, despite this being a very dry year and the lake being at its lowest level ever (Picture 4)  There were also 2 pieces of flowstone enlarging (Picture 5), but otherwise it seemed like it was a dead cave.

Our guide was excellent, and we really enjoyed learning.  As we left the cave, that slope seemed steeper now.  I gave the scooter full juice, and it was like the Little Engine That Could.  It just kept going.  Thank you, Lord!

My favorite experience at the cave would be seemingly insignificant.  As we got to the car, there was an insect who either has a body shaped like a leaf or he had a leaf on his back, and he was scurrying across the parking lot.  He went under our car, so i never got to find out exactly what he was.  As we drove away, a deer bounded across the road, his feet barely hitting the ground.  i know that lots of you see deer all the time, but I don't, and I thought it was exciting.

On the way back, we stopped at Celestial Windz-Harmonic Bizaar (yes, that?s how he spells it).  In the front yard is the World?s Largest Windchime (Picture 6), according to ?The Guinness Book of World Records.?  This is a fascinating shop.  He has a huge collection of fabulous tuned windchimes, ranging in size from small to over 6? tall.  He has a fun shop with combination windchimes/birdfeeders, singing bowls, art glass & home d?cor, wind dervishes, spinners, and more.  I think we spent about 2 hours listening to the various windchimes, and we left with a hole in my pocket.  Dean bought  himself a beautiful Christmas present 2 months early.

It was now 6:00, and we needed to be at a performance by 6:45.  We stopped at a grocery store, hoping they'd have a deli.  They didn't, so we bought bananas and nuts for dinner.

Then we went to the Queen Anne Mansion to see ?The Ghosts Have Answers.?  After freezing Dean out two nights ago, and boring him to death last night, this had better be good.  And it was!  In fact, Shawn Paul was GREAT!  He is an outstanding illusionist.  There were about 30 of us in a small room, so we were up close and personal.  He made unbelievable things happen right in front of our eyes.  His partner told us the contents of my purse, item after item, and there was no way he was telling her.  He was right next to me.  Everyone who wanted to be involved (probably 20 of us) was, so he couldn?t be using plants. 

The mansion itself is a marvel.  The owner spent $500,000 having it torn apart, moved, and re-constructed in Eureka Springs.  Then he spent several million on landscaping, furnishing it with antiques, and decorating.  We only got to see 4 rooms, but you can pay to see the whole thing.

Tomorrow we move to Mountain View/Bullshoals/Mountain Home area, and then we will be heading to Louisiana.  Anyone have any favorite places for us to visit in Louisiana?

Staying at the Kettle Campground--$25 tonight because the Passport America discount is only 10% on weekends.

Attachments

• IMG_6861.jpg
    IMG_6861.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_6867.jpg
    IMG_6867.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6866.jpg
    IMG_6866.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6864.jpg
    IMG_6864.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_6870.jpg
    IMG_6870.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6874.jpg
    IMG_6874.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 17
I love bats but cute? You are so good at finding interesting places to visit.
Wendy

I'm so glad you enjoyed the Turpentine refuge!  It sounded interesting in the article.

ArdraF

October 22, 2011 Day 32 Lakeview, Arkansas

The 90-mile drive took three hours because the road was winding and we got lost right by the entrance. There is a great big sign with about 8 local sites, none of which is the state park.  But?if you look just beyond that big sign, there is a little sign and registration booth.  So?we took the scenic route, until we finally found a fat spot in the road where Dean made a spectacular U-turn.  There hasn?t been a frost here, yet, and the trees aren?t very colorful, but they are so much prettier than our California trees. 

We got set up, but we can?t get Motosat reception where we are.  Dean searched and searched, re-positioned the coach, all to no avail.  So, no TV or Internet, but that?s OK.

We went up to the Visitors? Center, saw their interesting exhibits and art, and closed the place.  We?ll go back for the movie.  They showed all the flood damage from this spring, and there?s a lot I don?t understand.  They say they are the last in a series of  dams, and they can?t open their floodgates until the dam is breeched.  They know how much more water is coming, so why not open them and flood a little instead of waiting for the breech, as they did, and then opening them up a lot???  I know I?m not an engineer, but it makes no sense to me.  That?s the same thing we heard in Iowa.  Iowans couldn?t understand why they didn?t open the floodgates a little 2-3 weeks earlier.  They would have had some flooding, but not massive flooding.

Miekle, an RVForum member, told us we should eat at Fred?s Fish House in Mountain Home. The sign said, ?CATFISH, STEAKS, RIBS?, but the word FRED?S had a burned-out bulb.  So, we took the scenic route over the dam, which was quite impressive and made a U-turn in the Jeep (so much easier than in the motorhome!).

I ate Southern.  I don?t like catfish, but I liked Fred?s.  I don?t like hush puppies, but Fred?s were crisp and full of flavor.  I?d never had green tomato relish, which is like pickles, and they were really crispy and good.  The dill pickle was the second best I?ve had.  I?d never had peanut butter pie, but they told me it?s their specialty and a Southern delight.  It was good, but I wouldn?t order it again.

Staying at Bull Shoals/White River State Park?AWESOME PLACE, right on the White River, FHU, $77/3 nights (Saturday was higher priced; on the others nights we got a 25% senior discount, and every time I added it up, I thought we owed more, but she was sure she was right and I felt I?d done my part by being honest), BEAUTIFUL, squirrels, birds singing when we arrived, then cicadas chirping tonight, picnic tables, trees that inhibit Motosat except on the ends of the rows, a busy little squirrel whose home is a hole in the tree right outside our RV?he pokes his furry head out and is quite entertaining

October 23, 2011 Day 33 Lakeview, Arkansas

Today was a ?Bah! Humbug!? day.  I had read about the Blanchard Springs Caverns after an RVForumer (Ardra?) had told me about them, and they sounded amazing.  So, we wanted to do them first thing.  We drove 1 hour 45 minutes to get there, and it was a pretty, scenic drive through small towns.  Part of the way, trees overhung the road, making a shady lane. 

I had called there twice while I was planning to check on handicap accessibility, and two different people said it would be great.  So I solved the problem I anticipated, but walked to the front door with dread after reading their ?Information Sign?.  It seems that they are hyper-vigilant about White Nose Syndrome, which is killing bats, especially in the East.  They are right to be protective, but why didn?t they tell us about the measures we needed to take?  If you have been in a cave since 2000, (and we?ve been in 2 in the last week!) you can?t wear any of the same clothes, shoes, carry your camera, etc.  Well, we figured we could leave our coats in the car (it?s a steady 58? in the cave).  We could put my purse and Dean?s camera in the car.  We could go in the restroom and wash our shoes (which would be cold).  Oops!  Dean was wearing the same pants, and he couldn?t leave those out in the car.  So, we came home and prepared for tomorrow?Take 2!

Staying at Bull Shoals/White River State Park?AWESOME PLACE, right on the White River, FHU, $77/3 nights, BEAUTIFUL, squirrels, birds singing when we arrived, then cicadas chirping at night, picnic tables, trees that inhibit Motosat except on the ends of the rows, a busy little squirrel whose home is a hole in the tree right outside our RV?he pokes his furry head out and is quite entertaining.

October 24, 2011 Day 34 Lakeview, Arkansas

The Blanchard Springs Caverns are the most amazing caves we?ve visited, and we?ve seen a lot of caves, missing Mammoth Caves.  When you enter the cave, you go through an air-lock so that warm air from outside doesn?t come in through the large man-made opening.  I gasped when I entered the enormous Cathedral Room.  It seems to go on forever with a wonderful variety of formations.  Dean wasn?t able to capture the whole room because of lighting?you have to see it to believe it. 

We got some good pictures, and I?m gong to let them tell the story, but they aren?t even 50% as spectacular as the real thing.  Picture 1 is a stalagmite. Picture 2 is a curtain of stalagtites.  In the background of Picture 3 is a dark column, which is really beige in color, that is 216? tall.  Picture 4 is a beautiful column and a stalagmite.  Picture  5 is beautiful flowstone that is sparkling with water.  In every cave, some of the formations look like ?things?.  Picture 6 looks like different things to different people.  To honeymooners, it is The Love Boat.  To those who?ve been married for several decades, it looks like a battleship.  To those who have been divorced, it looks like the Titanic.  Picture 7 is of beautiful draperies.  Picture 8 shows glistening flowstone on the right (and it was really that shiny!) and broken bits from the 1811 & 1812 earthquakes that we had heard of before.  The earth fractured, and the Mississippi River ran backwards for 3 days because in Tennessee it was filling in the fracture by creating a new lake, Flatfoot Lake.  They say the earth moved enough to ring church bells in Boston.  Picture 9 is of hollow ?soda straws?, and the end will eventually become solid, pressure will build up, and they will make a new hole.  On the MOS Scale of Hardness, with chalk being a 1 and diamond being a 10, these are a 3, so they are easily broken.

After the tour, we drove to Blanchard Springs.  The path was so pretty (Picture 10).  The springs put out 70 gallons of water per minute. (Pictures 11 & 12)

I copied the explanation of how the springs get their water, though I have to admit that I don?t understand it.  In both of the Missouri caves, spring water bubbled into the cave from underground springs.  In this one, water comes out of the cave.

?As rainwater soaked into the Ozarks for millions of years, it moved through cracks in the limestone and widened the cracks to form the BSCaverns.  The water stayed in the caverns until surface erosion carved valleys and allowed the water to escape.  The spring is in such a valley.  As this valley cut deeper and deeper, lower sections of the cave were drained.  New springs then developed below older, dried up springs.  (I get it up to here.)  Blanchard Springs probably came out of the holes high on the bluff above many years ago when the streambed lay 20-30? above its present level.?  The sign also says the stream flows through the bat habitat in the cave and makes great fertilizer water.

Our guide told us that the bat guano makes great gunpowder.  They mined Eastern caves for it in the Revolutionary War, and they used this cave?s guano during the Civil War.  In fact, there was a big battle here over it.  We saw several piles of guano, some of which were 200 years old, and one was 7? high.

There are 2 other BSCavern cave tours, the Discovery Trail and the Wild Cave tour.  I saw pictures of what you?d see there, and they would be excellent tours if you were capable.  We didn?t see bats, but there are lots of them further back in the cave, and you would see them if you went on one of the advanced tours.  We also missed going to the Ozark Folk Center because it is only open Wednesday through Saturday.  I think it would be very enjoyable, too, and it?s really close to the caverns.

Staying at Bull Shoals/White River State Park?AWESOME PLACE, right on the White River, FHU, $77/3 nights, BEAUTIFUL, squirrels, birds singing when we arrived, then cicadas chirping at night, picnic tables, trees that inhibit Motosat except on the ends of the rows, a busy little squirrel whose home is a hole in the tree right outside our RV?he pokes his furry head out and is quite entertaining

Attachments

• IMG_6877.jpg
    IMG_6877.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6878.jpg
    IMG_6878.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6879.jpg
    IMG_6879.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6880.jpg
    IMG_6880.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6881.jpg
    IMG_6881.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6882.jpg
    IMG_6882.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 4
More pictures

Attachments

• IMG_6883.jpg
    IMG_6883.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6884.jpg
    IMG_6884.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_6885.jpg
    IMG_6885.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6886.jpg
    IMG_6886.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6887.jpg
    IMG_6887.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6888.jpg
    IMG_6888.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 8
Wendy said:
I love bats but cute? You are so good at finding interesting places to visit.
Wendy

Thanks.  Actually, it's RVForum members that give me a lot of the places.  Before each trip, I try to mine their vast store of knowledge, and they give me great ideas that aren't found anywhere else.  And, yes, the pippistrelle is so tiny and fuzzy, with his tiny ears, he is just darling!

October 25, 2011 Day 35 Conway, Arkansas

The state parks in Arkansas have a check-out time of 3 PM, so we let Sherlock enjoy the leaves and vultures as they flew over the White River.  We went up to the Visitors? Center to see their 15-minute film about the area.  I also wanted to learn how they taxiderm a fish because they had a lot of them on display.  What a waste!  All they use of the real fish is the skin, and they paint on that.  Most of the time fisherpeople just take a picture, and they get a model made out of plastic.  Lots of those were on display, showing various kinds of fish they?ve caught on the White River.

Bull Shoals has 2 great handicap-accessible trails, so we strolled through the woods, looking for the bobcats, deer, rabbits, and other critters that the Visitors? Center lady says she sees on her lunchtime walks.  We heard loud rustling of leaves, indicating larger animals scurrying away, but we never saw them.  We did see lots of different grasshoppers.  One was an interesting study in camouflage.  He looks like a think piece of wood when he?s at rest, and when he flies, he is a brilliant yellow.  I would think that would make him more easily spotted by birds and eaten.  Maybe they are prolific.

We had good roads with well-handled construction areas.  We?d come to the flagger, and the flag would go up for us to proceed on the one-lane road?just like a presidential motorcade, everyone else stopped for us to go!

We went to see the new George Clooney movie, ?Ides of March?.  Linda?s review?It?s only half a movie.  There?s no ending, and it leaves me hanging.  I want half my money back.  The part they did tell was intriguing.  Dean?s review?It?s a good movie.  At the end, the story had been told by that point.  That was the story.

Staying at Conway?s Wal-Mart?easy parking

Linda,

Yes indeed, 'twas I who mentioned Blanchard Springs Caverns and I'm so glad you enjoyed them.  In fact, it inspired us to want to return one of these days.  We didn't know about the walk (maybe it didn't exist 20+ years ago) but it looked beautiful.  Also we didn't know about the springs outflow.  Neat!  It looks like the area has been developed quite a bit since we were there.  I read recently about the bats having White Nose Syndrome and it's becoming critical in some caves.  I'm just glad you had enough time to return the next day.  By the way, we've found that cave photos are really hard to take so tell Dean he did a good job.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom