Ceramic "cube" heaters: safe use of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrishibbard7

I found some great information and recommendations by searching current posts and the library, but still have this question left:

Just how hot do these 1500w electric ceramic "cube" heaters get?  Should I get a thin metal plate to set it on,  or is it safe to just set on the linoleum floor or on the formica countertop?  what about carpet?  Are they hot to the touch, as in "you don't want to touch it barefoot on the way to the bathroom in the dark?

thanks guys, getting ready for a late Oct trip up to New Hampshire :)

I have been using a ceramic tower heater, very small and compact for over a year  now (when it's cold).  Most (maybe all?)  of them come with a spring loaded button on the bottom, so that if it is knocked over, the spring pushes the button out and that make it shut off immediately.

Here is a picture of the one I own, I liked the compact styling. (7.5 inches diameter by 14.5 inches tall)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002Q8HDJA/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=lefty-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=B002Q8HDJA

They do not glow red like the old heaters, so you can't see them in the dark, but you can surely feel their warmth in plenty of time not to trip over it.  Mine is cool to the touch on the bottom and sides, except right where the metal screen in front is located, can get pretty warm.

I have set mine on the vinyl floor, the carpet, the table and  the counter top, at various times. Mine has two settings, 1500 watt and 800 watt.  I tend to set mine on a table or counter if I am using it at night, so neither the dog nor I can trip over it.  By day, I put it where ever it suits me best.

If I leave the motorhome with the heat running, I make sure it is in a safe place before I do so. Most often I just turn it off completely, because it heats up the place so quickly anyhow.

Recently I mail-ordered a tiny 200 watt ceramic heater, will let you know what I think of it, once it arrives and I get to use it.  I was thinking it would be a good bathroom heater when needed, or that it might take the chill off cold feet.    Someone said you could own multiple 200 watt heaters rather than one big heater, but I don't want multiple heaters everywhere, but I could see where for me, the 200 watt heater could come in real handy at times.  It is only 4x4x6 inches, perfect for what I intend to use it for (I hope!)

Here is a picture of that little gem:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XDTWN2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=amozoniac-20&linkCode=as2&camp=217145&creative=399369&creativeASIN=B003XDTWN2

Basically I am headed south for the winter, but still, last year it got plenty cold many times and my Caribbean bones really needed some heat. 

There is no need to put anything under it. The case of the heater should not get hot at all, at at least no more than warm to the touch. If it does actually get hot, turn it off and get a new heater (unless you are handy and maybe can fix it).

Ceramic controls are self-limiting in power (the hotter it gets the more it chokes down on the power into the heater), so they are very safe to use. Most also have a tip-over switch, though I don't think that UL requires that for ceramics.

I've had one for about 15 years.  Pelonis is the brand.  Very safe and works quite well.  Does not get hot and has a tip-over switch.  The thermostat allows the fan to blow hard if it needs a lot of heat.  As the heat level gets closer, the fan slows until the heat level is satisfied and then stops only to start again as the room cools down. Really a nice unit and very safe.  Nothing hot on it to touch, or to touch anything else.

For what it's worth, We also have a smaller 700 or 900W unit ( I haven't used it in a while and can't remember off hand) that we use just to lose the chill in the morning in addition to the cube. I can't quite remember where we picked it up, but it mounts to the wall plate via the plug, and hangs on the wall.

I just got that  200watt tiny ceramic heater (see my post and link above). 

That thing is awesome, very tiny, puts out powerful heat right where you need it while drawing very little electricity. 

Last night it got down to 43F in Mauldin, SC, most unusual for this time of year. I went to bed but left the 200 watt heater sitting on the kitchen counter turned on all night.  When I got up it was 62F inside and 43F outside, simply amazing for only 200 watts.

Of course I switched to the larger 1500 watt heater, which has an 800 setting, using it this morning to bring it up to 70F while I was up and moving about.

The tiny one is so super handy,  I may get a 2nd one to live in the bathroom, as the heat it puts out is  very effective.  It came with a long heavy duty cord, so you can park it by your feet or on your desk or most anywhere close by to push the heat right at you. The fan inside really pushes out the heat. No settings, either on or off and no safety trip over switch but it does have the regulation overheat off switch builtin.

The heaters you want to avoid are the radiant heaters, where the heating elements (ceramic or wire) glow red hot with a reflector behind them.  They operate at temperatures too high for safety in a close environment like a RV.

I've had to use heat at night lately.  I've been using a ceramic style electric heater.

I discovered I could use my fan only on the overhead A/C to circulate the air around. I deflected the vents so they don't blow directly on me, but they push that hot air that rises from the ceramic heater, around the motorhome. 

The RV has a more even temperature now, front to back. Yippie!  ;D

Don't know why it took me so long to figure this out... ::)

Back
Top Bottom