Brewers Yellowstone 2011 "Frallies"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Betty, if you have time take a ride through the Targhee National Forest. I know where a bear den is. And the elk and moose play. I can recommend a route if your interested.

So many beautiful places, it's hard to pick a favorite. But I think the falls is mine.

Hi to all of Yellowstone framily. 

Great memories with those pictures!

Funny thing about the Great Divide is that you hit it twice within about 20 minutes on the same road! Wasn't until I saw a map that I understood it better.

Those falls are spectacular. I keep telling people that even seeing it in person, the scenery looks almost fake. Talk about beauty!

Mike

Funny thing about the Great Divide is that you hit it twice within about 20 minutes on the same road!

I believe that would be the Continental Divide. You cross it twice on the way to Old Faithful from the south entrance.

arcticfox2005 said:
I believe that would be the Continental Divide. You cross it twice on the way to Old Faithful from the south entrance.

Arcticfox,

You are correct on the Continental Divide. However, you cross it three times from the South entrance.  :) :) Once between the Grand Tetons and West thumb and twice from West Thumb to Old Faithful.:)

Betty,

It's nice to see that the snow finally melted.  Judy & I will have to make another trip to YS to see it in the fall.  It looks like you & Terry had a great time with Jim & Pat & Don & Mary Ann.

Mike Wagner

Attachments

• Continental Divide 1.JPG
    Continental Divide 1.JPG
    223.6 KB · Views: 25
Gary RV Roamer said:
The Continental Divide isn't a straight line, and neither is the road. They criss-cross each other randomly.

Driving from Casper, WY to Rifle, CO, we crossed the Continental Divide 4 times that I saw. I'm sure I missed at least one crossing, maybe 3.

Wandering said:
If a dinner is planned for West Yellowstone this week, Debbie and I would probably be interested.  (We plan to leave Saturday morning.)

Hi Wandering,

Would have loved to meet you but our schedule has been run run run literally.  I do not think we have ever driven so many miles in one day nor walked so many miles in one day.  Yellowstone is amazing. This morning we are touring Old Faithful Inn.  We will be leaving in the morning to  head toward Jackson, so we won't be going into " West" for dinner.  Maybe next time and there will be a next time for us.  What a place and we have had perfect weather!

When I catch my breath I will post  photos of some other events.  There was a Breakfast at the Hamilton Store, and late evening dinner at  Bear Pit.  Off to go touring now.
Betty

We have to leave in morning headed to Jackson only 93 miles away.  Here are  a couple of photos  to show us  on the balcony overlooking Old Faithful.

Also shown Bear Pit, the lounge in Old Faithful Inn,  for a late night  casual dinner.

Attachments

• Terry and Betty.JPG
    Terry and Betty.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Bear Pit Terry Pat Jim Bill.JPG
    Bear Pit Terry Pat Jim Bill.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 51
Saw you guys on the way up Craig Pass this morning on my return trip.  Great having you here, have a safe trip.  Maybe pop over to Tucson in Nov or Dec?

Bob,  Our Tucson plans are from about 11/14 to 18.  Then I will be back on the 28th to 12/4. 
Storing my MH there until March.

I had a bit of a chance to  catch up with  photos today and found the Farewell photo I took  of Jim, Pat Bill and Terry as Terry shared his photos in our motorhome on our last evening at Old Faithful.  We all talked at the same time and had a wonderful time.  We missed Jolene but Bill gave us an update on her steady progress and we toasted her attitude and to hopes for continued  good health.  Note my new sofa (well actually recovered)

The second photos shows our entrance into Grand Teton National  Park.  We were at Oxbow Bend for a spectacular display of fall colors.  It was hard to stay on the  road even in the  Jeep. My little Canon SD 1200is is not a fancy digital camera but it captured the essence of the fall colors. I think this is the same setting where Jim took his award winning photo last fall.  I looked for a moose but did not  see one!

The final photo shows us at one of the two most photographed barns in the USA.  It is on Mormon Row and is a remnant of a Mormon homestead community in early 1900's. What a backdrop outside your back yard. We have totally enjoyed our Teton experience.

Last night we dined in Jackson and had Thai food at Thai Me Up.  Yum. I shopped but no purchases.  We stayed at Gros Ventre RV Park using our old geezer pass for only $10.25 a night.  But we could not get TV reception  for the trees.  This gave us a chance to update photos and report here!

Betty

Attachments

• IMG_2736.JPG
    IMG_2736.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2758.JPG
    IMG_2758.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2893.JPG
    IMG_2893.JPG
    177.5 KB · Views: 45
What beautiful pictures! Thanks for sharing.

Timing is everything.  Mary Ann and I were at the Oxbow a week ago and everything was still green!  :(

OTOH, we actually found a large Bull Moose at Moose Junction .  ;D

Safe journeys.

Don

Great photos and thanks Betty for sharing them and your gatherings with Framily.  Wish we could have been there too.  Everyone looks wonderful.

Betty,

Oxbow is the place where I was so fortunate to capture a moose drinking in the Snake River during a fabulous smoke filled sunset!

I'm glad you got to photograph the Mormon Barn. It's quite a landmark and not far from where you stayed. I almost called you this morning when I received an update of where you were but decided it was much too early.  ;D ;D

We really enjoyed your visit and only wish it could have been longer.

October 1, 2011

To those of you who know us, you recall that we do not do mornings.  But this morning we had agreed to leave at 8 am.  We had been dry camping in Grand Teton National Park for our second night. We were staying at Gros Ventre Campground within the National Park.  Early in our arising ( 8:AM) , Terry hollows from the bathroom, ?There is a big moose  outside the motorhome. Lots of people have cameras.?
I am at my computer responding to a message from Ken and Sheila and rush to the front where our MCD blinds are closed on the front windshield. I poke my head under the blinds to see the biggest bull moose I have ever seen walking right in front of our motorhome. I grab my camera and shakingly take a few photos out of the foggy morning windshield.  (NONE of them turned out)  So I say to Terry I am going out side, where is your camera?  He is not dressed so he can?t make it outside as fast as I can.  I grab his camera and join the several people outside already in the hunt for the perfect photo.  I felt like I was in a paparazzi hunt.  Folks had their long lenses camera with tripods of various sizes on the hunt for their award winning photo. The moose walked slowly along the way of our campground in the sage brush.  I tip toed along his trail snapping photos as did others. None of us spoke so as to not make a sound. I used the full extent of Terry?s telephoto and had to laugh when on many occasions I had other humans in my photos. So here are a few of my best shots.  I am still shaking. 
When we finally left the campground we saw another bull moose along the road who was performing for tourists but I did not bother with my camera as we were on the road.  What a start to the morning.

Attachments

• Teton Moose-9.JPG
    Teton Moose-9.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 47
  • Teton Moose-15.JPG
    Teton Moose-15.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 48
  • Teton Moose-5.JPG
    Teton Moose-5.JPG
    55 KB · Views: 54

Latest posts

Forum statistics