So far so good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Molaker

Starting our 8th day on a road trip from Southwest Missouri to the Black Hills (and hopefully back).  I have a blog where I try to post the day's highlights.  If interested, it is here.

Before leaving, I had posted asking about things to see in Kansas and eastern Colorado.  As it turns out, we are not getting into Colorado this trip, but we did transit Kansas and Nebraska.  We're parked at the Cedar Pass campground in the Badlands this morning.  We're heading for Rapid City and Ellsworth AFB today.

Kansas was, well, Kansas.  We spent the 1st night on the road in the Chanute, Ks. city park - Santa Fe Park.  The price was right, but it's not a place for anything but just passing through.  It had water and electric, but absolutely no elbow room.

The next night was Kanopolis Lake State Park near Salina.  Actually, we had intended to stay at one of the COE parks there, but took a wrong turn.  We stayed in a campground very near the dam.  Quiet and nice.  Very few campers there this time of the year - and on a Tuesday night.  The only complaint I had wad the goat head burrs.  My Westie got to where I had to carry her to a pee spot because she stepped on too many burrs in too short a time.

The next day we crossed over into Nebraska and stayed in the little town of Deshler.  They have a free RV park with electric and water close by.  Little to no shade, so hot weather might be an issue, but still a nice park and a nice little Lutheran town.  However, it also had the goat head burr infestation.

Stop 4 was at Victoria Springs State Park - near nothing - well, maybe near Broken Bow.  For those who like relative solitude, I would recommend this park.  They only had electricity, but it sits in a shady grove near the spring and Victoria Creek where dog and people walking was outstanding.

Night 5 we stayed at Chadron State Park just outside Chadron, NE.  Now this was a very nice park.  Large with lots of park stuff to do and a nice RV camping section.  I recommend this place for more than one night, although that's all the time we spent there.

The jewel of our trip so far, though, has been the Badlands.  We're staying at the Cedar Pass campground within the park.  It's a wide open park (no natural shade) and only about half the sites have electricity.  All sites are just stopping spots along the campground roads (no backing in) and not private at all.  Many are pretty unlevel.  But, that's not the attractions here.  Hopefully, if you stays here, you will have a toad or be able to unhitch and really travel the area.  If you'll check my blog, you'll see how there is much more than just some rugged scenery to view.  We spent 2 nights here and we considered staying another, but the Black Hills are calling...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom