traveling through Baltimore,MD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raycel

Hello,
I'm not sure if this is the right area for this question but here goes: I am travelling from NY to MD on I-95 and have to go through Baltimore. I understand that there is a tunnel that I am not allowed to enter with my propane tanks. A) does anyone know if this is true and; B) Is there an alternate route( that's not too far out of the way?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Ray ???

I just happened to go to MD from the north and yes there is a tunnel so you can't stay on 95 you have to go on the 695 loop it takes you around Baltimore.? I went on the "inner" loop heading west/ south on 695 as it was extremely windy and I wanted to stay away from? the shore.
Hope this helps and have fun
Lori

Yes, coming south towards Baltimore, take the 695 Beltway to the west.  It is about 15 minutes longer (at non rush hour times) , but will bring you back around to I95 towards Washington.  Or you can take go past I95 and take the more rural Route 301 south to Richmond, avoiding the busy I95 route around Washington.

Just out of coursity,,, How about entering New York (Tunnel or bridge) or Manhattan?  I know that at least one of the routes I took has a "No Propane" sign, but they did not object back when I went that way... (2 20 lb bottles on a pop up camper back then, plus a 3rd they did not see inside it,plus a 5 pounder)

Hi Ray,

Another alternative, unless they've changed the rules since I was there, is the Francis Scott Key bridge. You can cross that with propane on board. Whatever you do DO NOT go through the tunnel. I heard it was a $1,000 fine.

Thanks for the input! I think i will take 695west. i am glad I found this site.

John in Detroit - my wife and get down to NYC a couple times a year (w/out the rv), Since 2001 they are pretty strict about the tunnel restrictions as well as the lower level of the GWB.

thanks again,
Ray :)

Ray -

The other replies you have received give good information. There are actually two tunnel routes under the Baltimore Harbor - I-95[the Fort McHenry Tunnel] and I-895[the 'original' Baltimore Harbor Tunnel]. Vehicles with propane tanks that have had propane added to them at any time are prohibited from travelling through either of them.

I-695 is the Baltimore Beltway. Travelling south on I-95 and going west/north on I-695 will take you on the outer loop toward Towson and then continue on until I-95 is found on the southwest side of Baltimore. Going east/south will take you on the inner loop across the Francis Scott Key bridge and then on to the intersection with I-95 going south toward Washington, DC.

Question - your original message seemed to indicate that MD was a final destination. If that is so, where are you heading in MD? That answer could influence which way to go around Baltimore.

--  RayB [a Bawlmur Murland native] <VBG>  --

raycel said:
John in Detroit - my wife and get down to NYC a couple times a year (w/out the rv), Since 2001 they are pretty strict about the tunnel restrictions as well as the lower level of the GWB.

Thanks Ray... How do you get into NYC with a motor home or trailer with Propane.. (Upper GWB?)

I mean, I may need to know some day

My last trip into NYC the only fuel I had was gasoline (And perhaps a bit of methane) so it did not matter

Back
Top Bottom