Can't replace light bulb!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikemcphail

Alright, this is going to sound ridiculous, but I can't figure out how to get to the bulb. These light fixtures (2011 Komfort 3530FBH 5th wheel) are round, almost flush with the ceiling with a little bulge for the bulb. But the surface has no holes! I can pull the fixture out a little more than an inch, but it feels like it's held in by a spring.

Anyone familiar with these fixtures? How do I get at the bulb?

Thanks very much,
Mike

Mike McPhail
Troy, Michigan
2011 Komfort 3530FBH
2005 Chevy 2500 diesel

Can you post a picture of the fixture?  I know to replace my lights, I have to squeeze the side of the cover, but don't know if that would work for you.

Usually you have to twist the cover so it can be removed.  Then it is fairly easy to remove as the bulb has 2 wires inserted in to the socket. 

Caution, do not handle the new bulb with bare hands as it will shorten the life of the bulb.  I usually use a tissue to hold the bulb after I clean it with alcohol and another tissue.

I have some flush mount halogen fixtures that are held in by springy "legs". But you don't remove the fixture to change the bulb. Instead, the glass cover twists to unlock.

A picture might give us a clue.

On mine I have some round "puck" style lights. you take a "Gripper" type jar opener (Soft rubber grippy thing) and turn the "metalized" (Chrome or brass) benzel a bit and it comes off.  Which way I forget Inside is a 10 watt 12 volt halogen bulb.. As someone said, glove up before handling the new bulb, cotton or exam should work, I use exam since that is what i have.

Thank you all very much! I just pulled it down & twisted the glass cap off (wish this was in a book somewhere).

Now if I may impose upon you again...how do I identify this bulb? There are no markings that I can see - and I used a magnifying glass!

Here's a photo (see attached):

Attachments

• 12v light bulb.jpg
    12v light bulb.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 93
We have similar bulbs in our lights. 20 watt will cause the cover to melt slightly and drop from the fixture. A 10 watt is the standard for ours. Your mileage may vary. :) To remove the cover I twist it slightly and it drops off. 

As mentioned earlier, do not touch the bulbs with your bare hands. The oil from your hand will cause the bulb to overheat and die prematurely.

That looks like a G4 pin base on a halogen bulb. I suggest you change from halogen to LED bulbs, to avoid the heat problem and also reduce power demand (the Led uses 1/10 the power of a halogen).  Leds are expensive, but they are an excellent and long lasting bulb.

I've replaced nearly all my halogens with LEds and get mine from rvledbulbs.com. They offer RVForum members a 15% discount - use the promo code AC15 at checkout.

http://www.rvledbulbs.com/category-s/46.htm

At a guess it is a 10 watt "Area lighting" bulb, you can find them at Home Depot, Wall mart, and most any hardware store.

Just look for 10 watt, 12 volt and a shape that resembles it and you should be good.

NOTE: they come in higher wattages, but I'm guessing it is a 10 watt job.

Just take the bulb with you, an empty pill bottle works well.

Hey, thank you all so much! Got the fixture off, replaced the bulb, & even found & replaced the fuse that was preventing my slides from working...all thanks to the members of these forums. What an invaluable resource!

Gotta tell you, though, I'm not real crazy about this Komfort 3530FBH. Every time we've taken it out at least one problem has popped up. Some day I'll write a review!

Thanks again,
Mike

2005 Chevy 2500 Duramax
2011 Komfort 3530FBH

You know.. We notice them more in motor homes but stick homes are not really that much different.

One thing I will warn you about is screws loose. Many RVers have a few screws loose.. No, not the mental kind, the METAL kind. For example I have had a 50 amp Marinco outlet fall off the cord into my hand.. (not mine, belonged to an electrical engineer who had some SREIOUS words with his dealer this being a brand new 5-er) I personally had a loose screw (one of the "HOTS" on the INLET on the motor home.  One of the screws on the circuit breakers...over 2 turns to tighten. (Note that was the worst, not the only loose one in the box)

And that's just the ELECTRICAL screws.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
That looks like a G4 pin base on a halogen bulb. I suggest you change from halogen to LED bulbs, to avoid the heat problem and also reduce power demand (the Led uses 1/10 the power of a halogen).  Leds are expensive, but they are an excellent and long lasting bulb.

I've replaced nearly all my halogens with LEds and get mine from rvledbulbs.com. They offer RVForum members a 15% discount - use the promo code AC15 at checkout.

http://www.rvledbulbs.com/category-s/46.htm

Looks like they didn't pay their rent on their website.
It gets redirected to GoDaddy.com

RV Led Bulbs has dropped their online sales presence. They still sell some leds through their brick & mortar store (The Hitching Post of Ocala), but I guess they gave up on being an internet merchandiser.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom