Older RV's Denied Access in Some RV Parks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here is another thought.  A relatively new RV can leak stuff as well; It's a mechanical failure thing. However; the appearance of the older RV says a lot about the owner and his maintenance priorities. Therefore, a bad looking clunker probably is a better candidate for leakage than an old good-looking RV.

The RV campground owner probably has his own reasons for the discriminatory policy.

Maybe the campground should have a certified licensed leak inspector on staff  to prevent a loss of business.  ;D

Carson FL

I appreciate all of the discussion. I guess we'll just be prepared and call in advance if we're not sure.

A couple of people have mentioned how impressed they are with all of my "RV and campground" knowledge so early in the game. I told them it is due to all of my time spent doing research here. So thanks!!!

Susan

Simple solution, if asked a year of unit, just state a year or two less then 10 years. I doubt they'll make you pull out a registration to prove it.

Cant Wait said:
Simple solution, if asked a year of unit, just state a year or two less then 10 years. I doubt they'll make you pull out a registration to prove it.
Tell a lie to spend MY money so they can live? :eek:
NOPE
J

The ones that amaze me are the class A only parks that will turn away a half million dollar Super C........

Technically, so will FMCA - the rig won't qualify for membership unless you can pass from the drivers seat to the living area in a standing position.

But they featured a Super C in their magazine a few months back where that was plainly not the case.

Hey Bernie - has that rule been modified or repealed?

Technically, so will FMCA - the rig won't qualify for membership unless you can pass from the drivers seat to the living area in a standing position.

Lou

I have retired from all of my active FMCA offices so am not necessarily up to date with the latest but the current membership requirements don't have a standing access requirement. As noted on the website:
"Family membership Membership in FMCA is contingent on ownership of a qualifying motor coach: a Type/Class A, B or C motorhome, or a bus conversion, that contains all of the conveniences of home (including cooking, sleeping and permanent sanitary facilities)."

Nothing there to exclude the Platinum. Doesn't even seem to restrict membership to direct access from front seats to the interior.

I have to admit to being a bit concerned about the outside appearance requirement.  We've sunk a lot of money into our 97 minnie but most of that was on the interior.  The exterior has fading stripes, a white rear end with old white sides and shows it's years.  Should we just send pics of our interior?  The outside is fine, we're not leaking anything but it's certainly not perfect.  The logo and striping and pulling in as they shrink due to age, some is missing all together.  We've kept our new back-end blank and have to plans to replace any logo or striping.  We've installed new LED running lights on the exterior and fixed some of the exterior cabinets.  So would we be refused?

We are going to be hitting the road fulltiming it THIS WEEKEND!  Being refused at parks was not something I had considered.

Freaking out now...
Paula

P.S.  Daniel just installed our new laminate counter and copper sink and faucet in the kitchen.  Check out the pictures on our blog (Link in byline!  SO EXCITED!)

34footer said:
MISSION BAY RV RESORT
The rules are listed on their website. Proof of year is required.
1995 and newer.
J

My wife call to make reservation at Mission Bay RV Resort last month and was told our unit was too old.  She was ticked to say the least and fired an email with a pic of our '93 Winnebago Brave saying that they were wrong to deny our MH.  Within a couple of hours she received a reply accepting our MH.  Good figure  ??? .

It's easy to get your knickers in a twist over this, but it's all a direct fall-out of gov't anti-discrimination laws.  To be legal they have to have objective criteria, so they can't say they just eyeball the rig - or the owners - and make a judgment call. They have to have defined criteria that both you and they can readily understand, and age of the rig is an easy one. They can always grant exceptions, as in the case of the 93 Brave.

No need to freak out, Paula. This sort of thing is not (yet) widespread and applies mostly to upscale RV resorts and some few places that have had problems with shabby guests in the past. Most parks are no more interested in turning away customers than you would be. And if the question does come up, offer to send pictures of you and your rig. Or of course they can always cast an eye upon it when you arrive. Exterior appeal is probably more important than interior, though. A neat and clean interior speaks well of the owners, but its the outside that other guests see and make judgments on.  Even though that may not be fair, it's human nature. Mere faded decals is not going to be a problem except perhaps in the big time resorts, where a site is probably upwards of $60/night.

Our winter abode at Pueblo El Mirage in Arizona has the ten year rule.  It is odd.  They require the people to be old and ugly with their over 55 rule.  But they want the RVS to be young and gorgeous.  LOL.

At any rate I know of many exceptions.  One of the great musicians in the park has a 25 year old Prevost that looks classic and beautiful.  Lots more like him.

I think the 10 year rule is used as an "in case" rule.  Gives them the means to oust someone either for appearance or behavior.  I have never seen it actually used.  I hope we are not first LOL.

Smoky

We have stayed at Pueblo El Mirage twice since our motorhome reached 10 years of age.  The first time they asked for a couple of photos and the second, not even that.  They won't toss you out in 2016, Smoky :)

Smoky said:
  They require the people to be old and ugly with their over 55 rule.  But they want the RVS to be young and gorgeous.  LOL.

That was priceless!!  ;D

Having had this discussion with several owners, even though we are not subject to it, you really get a sense of their dilemma. We (here on the Forum) are all concerned about how we look; not everyone else on the street is. They are the problem, we are not, but we still sometimes suffer in the fallout.

Keep an open mind, make your calls, send your photos, and don't be personally insulted. They don't know you yet; but they know who they don't want and I think in the long run, we probably all benefit from a little discretion when they choose their customers. We have to park with them!

skyking4ar2 said:
It's not. All negotiations are not begging; it is two parties attempting to come to a mutually acceptable solution. Don't tell me you never counter offerered for anything you ever bought?
Their website said they don't want me due to age. I don't want them either under any deals. When I buy my age appropriate unit I still won't spend my money there. I have stayed at plenty of nice places that don't play games.
If a resort like that lets me in the other people with newer units will question them, not all but someone will.  Buying
something and making a deal is not the same as me pushing my year up or sending pictures of myself or my rig.
J

Wa_mermayd said:
P.S.  Daniel just installed our new laminate counter and copper sink and faucet in the kitchen.  Check out the pictures on our blog (Link in byline!  SO EXCITED!)

It looks awesome! Nice work!

I might get denied, if I do I will just wonder on down the road till I find someone that wants me, so there.

I must say that I am new here and I would like to know where some of you get off with puting your self in a uper class because you have a nice rig.....Is that what this forum is about....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom