7500 Onan Quiet Diesel maintenance parts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

judway

Does anyone know the best and cheapest place to get the parts to maintain my 7.5 K generator? Changing the oil and coolant and all filters.

How much oil and what weight? Part number for filter?

How much antifreeze? Part number for filter?

Air filter part number?

Anything that I missed?

Can't say best or cheapest, but I can tell you what I paid at Mitchell Bus & RV in Hammond LA, a Freightliner Oasis dealer, last December for mine:

140-2897 Onan Air Filter, 28.93
140-2513 Onan Fuel Filter, 34.32
122-0833 Onan Oil Filter, 20.43

.75 Gal of 15W40 Oil, 10.76

1 Hr Shop Labor, 90.00

judway said:
Does anyone know the best and cheapest place to get the parts to maintain my 7.5 K generator? Changing the oil and coolant and all filters.

How much oil and what weight? Part number for filter?

How much antifreeze? Part number for filter?

Air filter part number?

Anything that I missed?

I get my Onan  and Cummins parts from rvchassisparts.com
They know everything (or I ask Gary  ::)). Very friendly and helpful. Prices are in line with others and sometime they have good specials.

Thanks for the info.

It looks like about $100 in parts and $90 labor. I intend to do it my self and at least save the labor.

I will check out rvchassisparts.com.

On the subject of filters, I stopped by a friend/neighbor/forum member's house and found he'd had his coach serviced by a local RV repair shop the previous day. I looked through his invoice and saw things like "NAOA oil filter: $80". The day before, I was at a Cummins shop and picked up their "upgraded" oil filter for $32.

I sure can't explain the difference, and neither could our neighbor.

Caveat emptor!

Your local NAPA dealer will have all the filters,, I use Syntech straight synthetic and it uses no oil between changes.>>>Dan

NAPA is way too expensive if you have access to a Cummins/Onan dealer with a parts department.

$32 for a Cummins "top of the line" filter vs a NAPA price of $80.

Wayne, just did all mine a couple months ago. These are for the HDKAJ-H
Use same oil as the Cat, 3 qts incl. filter. Use same antifreeze also, app. 4 qts. I recommend ELC in both.
Cummins NW prices:
Air filter $23.01
Fuel filter $25.98
Oil filter $14.86
Camping world was app. $5 more for whole order if they are closer to you.
Replace your radiator cap also if you haven?t already. 130-4320, Cummins $9.10
Cummins now has a discount if you join their power club. I think it?s another 10% off?
Good luck.

I buy all the parts for my Onan generator from Cummins Crosspoint in Louisville.  I've found them to be very competitive with other sources, at least here in the area.  I typicically have a spare of each, and when I use them I order another supply, usually two of each item at a time.

I bought my Onan fuel, oil and air filters from the Filter Barn (online) at about the same prices that Maverick paid.  Real Onan parts from a Cummins/Onan place aren't a whole lot more expensive, but local sales taxes add a bit more.

I bought Onan filters at NAPA once, but they didn't have a cross-ref for one of them and I had to go to Cummins for that anyway, so didn't bother with NAPA again for Onan stuff. It did not cost anywhere near $80 at NAPA, though. I usually get my Cummins oil and fuel filters from NAPA and bought a big diesel air filter there as well.

Had I been presented with a bill that large for an oil filter, I would have walked out empty handed. My NAPA store has been very reasonable.>>>Dan

The $80 NAPA oil filter price I saw came from the invoice a friend paid a local RV repair shop. I saw the invoice and reacted immediately because we have the same engine, and I'd bought the OEM filter just the day before. Cummins offered me two filters; One was $24 and the other (that I bought) cost $32. I checked what filter they'd installed on our friend's coach and saw NAPA oil and fuel filters. I suspect the repair shop put a healthy markup on the filter, but I can't somehow reconcile 3X the Cummins price.

Several years ago, a soon to be permanent customer of mine, had been clipped by a competitor over an alternator belt with installation on his aircraft. The customer had been charged $150.00 for a belt and $100.00 for installing it on his aircraft because it was "aircraft". The customer still had problems with it a month later and appeared at my shop for a repair..  To add "insult to injury", it was the wrong belt and installed incorrectly.. I installed the correct belt,($12.00) and adjusted it correctly,($30.00 labor) no more problems and I gained a permanent customer.>>>Dan  (Theres a moral there somewhere)

I just received 3 filters from Ace Marine & Diesel in Vero Beach.

122-0833  Oil Filter  $12.77
140-2897  Air Filter  $19.77
149-2513  Fuel Filter $20.39
Freight                      $8.91
Tax                            $4.33
Total                        $66.16

Seemed like a good price. They did not have the radiator cap.

Thanks for all of the information!

Wayne

Oman recommends replacement of the cap every 2 yrs but you know how that goes. I checked mine and the gasket was showing signs of wear. For 9$ it's not worth worrying about. With my luck, when it finally starts causing problems no one will have it in stock!  :(
Sooner or later it won't hold the recommended pressure.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom