Got my used 5th Wheel - Chevrolet 1/2 Ton Truck Wheels for 16" Upgrade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zippinbye

Hi all, my first post since finally acquiring a fifth wheel.  I have a few prior posts as a "researcher."  Thanks again to everyone who handled my elementary questions that ultimately helped me decide on a rig.  I was w/o RV since selling a slide in truck camper in June, so it's great to be back in the game!  I got a 2004 Thor California Jazz 2780BH.  It's 30'6", great layout for my family, having a rear bunkhouse with double lower/single upper.  Living area free for mom and dad to stay up after kids in bed, or flexibility to bring friends with the dinette and/or pullout sofa.  I will post a separate topic regarding the NIGHTMARE delivery trip yesterday!  I'm already getting off-topic, lets just say that it's home and I have reason for wanting to upgrade the tires and wheels.

It has 15" wheels with a 6 x 5.5" pattern.  Looks like I have room to go 16".  I want some height to match my truck anyhow (obviously tire size, not wheel, will dictate actual height).  Mainly I want excess load capacity.  Not for overloading the axles, but just because I #$@%& hate wimpy *#$@% trailer tires! I just want to know I can run heavy, hot and fast without fear of a tire failure.  Even with the best load range E 15 inchers, tire capacity barely adds up above the 10,400 GVWR.  So I am thinking of a LT tire on the 16" rim.  Lots of good info was found under other threads regarding LT tires - I'm sold.

I noticed Chevy light truck wheels are the same pattern (1999 and newer I think).  Some of their aluminum wheels look pretty nice, at least compared to my plain jane white rims.  I think the offset is 20 mm inward (that's negative, right?).  Not sure if the stock trailer wheel are zero offset, or what.  Has anyone tried them on a trailer?  I guess the only issue would be hub pass-through diameter and offset, plus a suitable resolution for caps - all the Chevy wheels are cleaned-up with caps over the lug nuts, and a trailer hub would protrude too far to allow the cap installation without milling  relief hole (not out of the question).  But cost is the objective:  around $100 each plus 8+ percent to the governor for aftermarket aluminum at the local tire store vs. $100-$200 a set for Chevrolets on Craigslist.  I don't wan to compromise fit or safety, but thought the wheels might look pretty trick and be a bargain.  Thoughts?  Thanks!

Typical RV wheels are 5 lug.  I doubt you will get a automotive (truck) wheel in 16 inch 5 lug that will fit. 1/2 ton wheels would probably have no more carrying capacity than what you have now.  Go to one of the trailer wheel stores on line and price out a package that will actually fit.

What our thinking of doing isn't safe nor is it recommended. Sure its been tried before by unsuspecting new folks to the trailering world or others with light trailers.
If you notice a trailer wheel mounting face on the bub is between the innner and outer bearing. Therefore  the wheel is required to have a zero offset because of the bearings.  I can tell you from experience that using truck wheels on a trailer can lead to premature bearing failure especially on a trailer that size.

I would use the correct trailer wheel with zero offset.

Back
Top Bottom