Cost to paint motorhome ~ 35'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndyinLexington

I'm thinking of getting my m/h painted.  It spent much of it's life in Florida and the paint is chalky, some missing, and a few scratches.  Does anyone have any idea of the ball-park cost of doing a simple, but presentable paint job on a 35' motorhome?  I would be hiring someone to do this work - not doing it myself.  Thank you.

Hi Andy... I have no clue about the cost of a total paint job. Never had it done.

But.... I had my bottom skirt done (the area covering all the storage bins  on a 32' Winnebago) I found a small shop doing restoration work on clunkers. Certainly not a major paint shop. 

It cost $300.00 for a one day job, including clearcoat, one color only...grey. II was happy with their work, especially after spending hours to trying to restore the oxidized paint myself.

I figured  that that part of the job was about 10% of the entire RV..  Go figure.

Other experts will chime in,
Carson FL

Might also look into part paint and part wrap. Talk to a local sign shop about the wrap. We are thinking of that for our 38ft. The wrap is tough and would be best on lower half and where rocks might mess with the paint. You can have the wrap made however you want.

Most paint work cost is in the prep work,,and the prep work largely influences the end results. I would guess a competent shop would quote $8.000 to $10.000 for a professional job,, depending on prep.>>>Dan ???

I had my Tradewinds painted a coup[le years ago and the guy charged $7,500. After the job was done he said he wouldn't do it again for less than $13,000. It was a good job and has held up well.

Attachments

• before-and-after2.jpg
    before-and-after2.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 276
This week I completed the prep & paint work for a friend on his 35 Ft. GMC bus conversion (bottom half). The owner did all the grunt work and I shot it with epoxy primer and urethane enamel top coat. all materials cost was $1500.00. The time was two months of labor and the loan of a friends aircraft hangar..(you have to be a GOOD friend for this work)

Thanks for all the replies.  I'm in the early stages of considering this, but the m/h needs it.  I'm either going to have this done, or clean it up and sell it and get something a little better - probably will wait until spring if I go that route.  I'm extremely happy with the rest of the m/h, floorplan, mechanicals, etc., so I really wouldn't mind keeping this one.  It's really just about ideal for the way we use it, and I don't forsee any major changes in how we operate in the next five years or so.

The cost around Elkhart IN is 10-12,000 dollars for a forty footer.

A 3 or 4 color job is going to be upwards of $10,000. You could probably get it done in one color for  substantially less, maybe even $5000 in some areas where labor is cheaper and the shop small.  As some have already said, the cost is in the prep work, and so is the quality of the result.  If you want the minimum cost job, just wash the coach and drive it a backyard painter who will spray it as is with no prep at all. It's still probably $1500+.  ::)

Gary RV Roamer said:
A 3 or 4 color job is going to be upwards of $10,000. You could probably get it done in one color for  substantially less, maybe even $5000 in some areas where labor is cheaper and the shop small.  As some have already said, the cost is in the prep work, and so is the quality of the result.  If you want the minimum cost job, just wash the coach and drive it a backyard painter who will spray it as is with no prep at all. It's still probably $1500+.  ::)

I'm looking for a decent quality, but simple, maybe just white with one accent color, job.  I'm going to keep it, so I'm not looking for the cheapest way to do it, necessarily.  I had heard the 10K number kicked around before, and that's probably a little more than I want to spend on this project right now, but somewhere upwards of 5K would be fine.  I'm going to get a couple of quotes in the next week or two and see what happens.

When you solicit the quotes,, be sure to specify the materials,, there is considerable difference in paint types.>>>Dan

Try Mike's Collision in Wilmington, NC. They specialize in motorhome and RV repairs and do a great job or rationale prices.  They repaired my coach after a major accident - some $50k worth - and it looks like new. They also have a 45 foot paint booth so they can paint RVs properly.

Hi Andy,
I painted complete a 21 foot MH for a couple in Oshawa  Ontario, the MH had some fiberglass damage in the back which i repaired and install new lights.
the MH was painted one color white  in BASF urethane that job cost was $6,700. When i ask  my client if I could use him a reference he said "  Reynold every time we look at our MH, we have good thoughts  of you "
So you should be looking to invest for your project $12 to $15,000. with good quality product .

Hope this helps.
Reynold

I painted my first two motorhomes and swore I wasn't going to mess with this one due to the time involved.

I looked locally and could not find a shop in northern Utah that would prep it the way I wanted nor use the quality of materials that I insisted upon for anything less than around $25k.

I had seem some work from Mike's Custom Painting in Bremen, IN and was impressed.  I know I was not an easy client as I am quite particular and have painted multiple show cars, trucks and bikes over the years, several featured in magazines.

I dripped ours off the first of May and picked it up from Mike's in July and have gotten a lot of compliments on it over the past several months.

It was the same cost whether I chose one color or four so we went with a four color paint scheme including a fade.  They have a lot of choices to choose from but we opted to have their design shop give us a rendering on our own somewhat unique paint scheme.

Without giving a cost over the internet, I highly recommend Mike's in Bremen and suggest giving him a call to discuss for your actual coach.  Their number is 574-546-2161.

Mike

Attachments

• coach1.jpg
    coach1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 87
  • coach2.jpg
    coach2.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 105
  • coach3.jpg
    coach3.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 102
  • coach4.jpg
    coach4.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 92
This looks great. we are taking ours there in March 1st and we are so excited.  they seem to do great work.

If those prices are too high, take a trip to Mexico.  There are several shops in Puerto Penasco (Rocky Point) about 60 miles south of the border at Arizona's Organ Pipe National Monument that will give you a nice paint job at a fraction of the US prices.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom