Anyone using a 5th wheel to goose neck adapters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jimsryker

Just got my new 2006 2500 HD GMC Diesel and wondering weather I should go with a standard 5th wheel hitch or try an adapter and mount a hidden goose neck in the bed.  I'm looking to leave the bed as clean as possible.  I understand there are some 5th wheel hitches that have hidden rails as well.  Any preferrerences and should I go exclusivly with a slider for my short bed?  Thank you for any input.

The 5W-goose neck adapters have become popular, at least with those who have a need for a goose neck as well as fifth wheel.  I'm a bit of a purist, though, and wouldn't use a gooseneck adapter if I only wanted a fifth wheel hitch. I always feel a tool designed for the job is going to be uperior to one designed for two different things - there are bound to be compromises in any such design.

As for the slider in a short bed, it's a personal call.  It's not necessary, but it may relieve you of some anxiety and might be handy once in awhile. Whether it's worth the extra cost is up to you.  Do you understand that the slide function is useful only when backing up into a fairly sharp turn?  We can discuss the pros and cons further  if you would like.

RV Roamer said:
The 5W-goose neck adapters have become popular, at least with those who have a need for a goose neck as well as fifth wheel.? I'm a bit of a purist, though, and wouldn't use a gooseneck adapter if I only wanted a fifth wheel hitch. I always feel a tool designed for the job is going to be uperior to one designed for two different things - there are bound to be compromises in any such design.

As for the slider in a short bed, it's a personal call.? It's not necessary, but it may relieve you of some anxiety and might be handy once in awhile. Whether it's worth the extra cost is up to you.? Do you understand that the slide function is useful only when backing up into a fairly sharp turn?? We can discuss the pros and cons further? if you would like.

Thanks RV Roamer.  I just sold my 2002 GMC for my 2006 diesel and they both have the same length bed.  I seemed to get by fine with my 15K RBW.  No complaints there and there is no reason to just get rid of it.  I would like to get rid of the rails in the bed.  (Believe it or not, my two Yellow Labs can't stand on them in the summer).  I'm thinking about an 18K slider in case I upgrade in a couple of years or so.  You make an excellant point about the gooseneck and I have no use other then pulling my 5er, so I think you've made my mind up about that.  Now it comes down to slide or not to slide.  :)  In my last truck, it justed cleared my rear window by less then the width of my finger.  Pretty close.  Any Pros or Cons you and anyone cares to provide would be great.  I want to make the right decision on this. 

Discuss the issue when considering a new hitch and where to mount it.  You have a bit of flexibility in placing the hitch in the bed and can "cheat" a few inches toward the rear if you need more clearance.  Also, the particular make & model of truck has some effect, both in the shape of the cab and what's underneath the bed. So measure up your new truck and talk to the hitch shop about placement, or get the hitch install manual for models you are considering (often available online) and see just where you can mount it.  The ideal spot is slightly forward of the rear axle, usually about 6", but you can go back some on most truclks. I had one where we mounted it almost directly over the axle.

I don't know much about the new hidden rail" hitches, so can't advise there.

The basic "pro" of an automatic slider like the Pullrite is that you never have to worry about a cab strike. The basic Con is that it costs a bunch of money.    If your trailer always clears the cab, even if only a finger width, then you have no worry, so why spend the extra money?  But if it could hit the cab in an extreme turn (but not in any reasonable turn), then you have to weigh your own skill against the cost. Basically, will you be paying attention enough to notice that you are near the point where a cab hit is possible. Those who have difficulty backing trailers tend to get absorbed in the problem and may not realize they have reached the risk point (if there is one). If you are fairly skilled in backing, you probably won't ever get to the risk point and will know you are there is you do. In that case, no need for a slider.

A compromise is  manual slider. Less expensive than an automatic but available for use if needed. I might pay for one of those if a cb strike was possible on my rig but unlikley except in extreme turns. I'm comfortable in relying on my skill and my attention to where the trailer is, Are you??? That's what it boils down to.

I feel far more confident now then I did about a year ago.  The RV parking that I have created on the side of my home requires a steady hand to stab in back into.  That being said, I still have found myself doing exactly what you outlined.  So obsorbed with what I was doing that I didn't realize how close the RV was to the cab.

I guess I am concerned that the location of the new hitch may not be exactly the same and that finger width I spoke of could be in the wrong direction on the next install.  I don't think I ever got my older set up with the RV 90 degrees to the cab of the truck.  Would a slider allow that?  I assume it would and the peace of mind might be worth the extra one time cost.  Also, there is the possiblity of trading up my RV.  Will the next unit ride the same.  Will the kingpin extend out as far as my Aljo does now? Or will it be short and thus move the trailer closer to the cab?  The answers are probably self explanitory if I think enough about it, but I do like this great resource to hearing other points of view and advice.  Thanks for taking the time.

Back
Top Bottom