EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products PO Box Zone
Over The Network Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Best weight distributing hitch w/sway control?  (Read 43503 times)

altmans

• ---
Best weight distributing hitch w/sway control?
« on: October 02, 2011, 11:00:51 AM »
Hello everyone.  I own a 2010 Dodge 2500 (Diesel) and we just bought a 2012 Sunset Trail 31BH with a dry weight of 6570 lbs.  I would like to get a weight distributing hitch system and with all the choices out there not sure what to go with.  So far everything I have heard/read steers me to an Equal-i-zer as far as quality and how easy it is to take on and off.

What are your opinions and why?

Pick up the new trailer in a couple of weeks so would like to let RV place know my choice so they can get it set up when i pick it up.

Thanks everyone!!
2010 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab, Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel 4x4
2012 Cross Roads/Sunset Trail 31BH

Mr Bojangles

• ---
Re: Best weight distributing hitch w/sway control?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 11:33:15 AM »
Hello:
For me..... Equal-i-zer.
It is priced right....
Works well.........
Easily assembled (instructions via movies) on line.
But, others are liked by many.
Good luck, and enjoy your RV experiences ......
SAFBVET    Jim O
28 trips out.... 88,000 Miles -S  to Key West, SW to Gulf...w to Texas, NW Oregon, across Canada.

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 10:38:41 AM »
Another vote for the Equal-i-zer here. I'm on my 2nd one (upgraded due to heavier TT) and love it.
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L gasser
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

Marc L

• ---
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 10:43:37 AM »
Never tried an Equalizer, but I am really happy with my Reese Dual Cam.

Hensley/Propride is the best if money is not an object.
Marc...

BigLarry

• ---
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 12:16:25 PM »
All I've ever had was an equalizer and like it fine.  Can't say which is best.
Larry and Betty
Bryan, Texas
2017 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4x4 Diesel
2016 Cougar 28RLS

altmans

• ---
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 02:00:09 PM »
Thanks everyone for their replies.  As far as my research shows Equal-i-zer sounds like the way to go. 

My next question would be how big do I need to go?  If my trailer weighs 6600 pounds dry plus another 1500 for everything else, which totals 8100 pounds, do I go with the 10K one then?
2010 Dodge 2500 Crew Cab, Laramie 6.7L Turbo Diesel 4x4
2012 Cross Roads/Sunset Trail 31BH

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 03:13:58 PM »
Use the trailer GVWR as the weight estimate.  Dry weight plus a guessed load is too likely to undershoot.  And for maybe $25 dollars more I would go at least one size larger - you may want to upgrade the trailer in the future and why have to buy another hitch?
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 01:57:15 PM »
Go at least 1,200/12,000 lbs. As Gary mentioned, you need to use your own TT's GVWR but as a comparson, our TT's dry weight is about 6,700 lbs and the GVWR is 10,400. Using an estimated "12% of GVWR" tongue weight means I'm at 1,248 lbs so I went with the 1,400/14,000 Equal-i-zer set up.

Our one and only trip to the CAT Scales in 2009 resulted in the TT coming in at 8,500 lbs packed for a week's vacation.

Admittedly I do not know what my actual tongue weight is but if at 12% (of 8,500), this puts me at 1,020 lbs meaning I could have gone with the 1,200/12,000 model. However,  if I'm heavy on the tongue - closer to 15% - I'd be at 1,275 lbs so I'm glad I went with the higher rating.

If the TT was at GVWR and at 15% tongue weight, I'd be at 1,560 lbs which would overload the Equal-izer. No problem, though, since the hitch would probably fall off the truck at that point anyway!

Enough math for today?
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L gasser
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

carolinacamper

• ---
  • Making lifetime memories one caming trip at a time
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 06:47:45 PM »
It seems all RV dealers have one hitch brand they sell with a new TT purchase. They make money on volume of course. My first TT was 28' pulled with a Dodge 1500 near load capacity. The style is the common chain support on distribution arms with the small ball and flat friction bar. Think about it, on suspended chains there's nothing to keep them steady, they just dangle so to speak. Everything pushed me around side to side. I bought stiffer tires and shocks, no improvement. I added links, I dropped links, I tried height, angle, you name it I tried it. So I finally upgraded my soft 1/2 ton to a Dodge 2500 Cummins. Still handled like a piece of crap in cross winds and around large trucks and commercial buses on the freeway.

Rescued at last! My second TT was a 31' with same 2500 truck. RV Wholesalers in Ohio uses the Equal-i-zer. The design is so simple it was hard believe it would work better. They promised me I would be happy with it. And boy was I ever! ;D  The distribution arms ride in a "cradle" on the trailer frame. Great concept huh. All sway was GONE, honestly, ALL. Best 350 bucks I ever spent on RVing. That's right at least 200 bucks cheaper than on their website. RV Wholesalers sell to their customers "at cost". I feel blessed to own one. Reese now offers one in that design too.

In my honest opinion simpler is better. Stay away from chain suspended distribution bars. Always go one weight class up as suggested by others. Don't skimp on weight capacity. Don't spend a fortune on complicated systems like the Hensley Arrow. You don't need it. Equil-i-zer has my endorsement.

May all your towing deeds be as smooth as mine,
CarolinaCamper

Darrell & Cindi Burgess        (Maggie too)
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually Cummins manual six speed
2007 37' Grand Junction 5er & 2002 Lance 1130 truck camper
2008 Kawasaki 900 Vulcan Classic LT
RVers since 2000

Thomas Nguyen

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2017, 03:12:40 AM »
I thinks you should choose: Eaz-Lift 48058 Elite Weight Distributing Hitch Kit
See more here: http://careyourcars.com/top-5-best-weight-distribution-hitch/

RVRAC

• ---
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 08:08:26 PM »
Equalizer, best one.
2017 Leprechaun 311 FS
Toad: 2016 Jeep Patriot
American Dolly
Home: WI
Snowbird 6 months/yr.

Patnsuzanne

• ---
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 09:43:15 PM »
The only wdh I've ever used is our Equal-izer so I can't offer much in the way of comparison. What I can say is that if you have the dealer install it, pay close attention to how it's set up, or at the very least, get the owners manual and have the tech explain to you how it was done. You may very well have to adjust it some after you get your trailer equipped and loaded to camp as the weight and balance will be different then it was empty at the dealer. It isn't a difficult procedure, but I learned from experience that it can make a difference in how the trailer handles. It took me a couple of trips to the scales to get it dialed in just right, but it was well worth the time.
2016 Toyota Tundra Extended Cab
5.7 V8
Equalizer WD hitch
Tekonsha P3
Venture Sporttrek 27RL

PopPop51

• ---
    • Uptown Tech
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 08:55:28 AM »
Another vote for Equal-I-Zer. The manufacturer keeps making small improvements to an already good system. Their new self-locking clips and pins for example, eliminate fussing with cotter pins.
I'm probably in the minority, but I consider sway control a marketing red herring and of no practical significance. I believe that a properly loaded trailer will track beautifully without sway control, and an improperly loaded one will be a handful to tow no matter what kind of hitch is used.
But a good WDH makes a huge difference in stability just by keeping the tow vehicle's front wheels sufficiently loaded.
Paul--
2004 Ford Excursion V-10 ("Moose")
2010 Keystone Outback 270BH ("Squirrel")
2016 Mazda MX5 Miata ("Roadster")
##37 States So Far...##

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 09:04:14 AM »
The Fastway E2 is sort of a mini Equal-I-Zer and should be entirely adequate for a modest size trailer. Same design but one less control point.

http://www.fastwaytrailer.com/e2-hitch
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Hosted by Over The Network