Possible Fire Hazard!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tin man

Own a 2007 Journey SE, and just had the light over the monitor panel fall off the ceiling.  It melted!  Tha metal inside melted, the plastic is burnt brown, and when I went to pick up the puck, it was so hot I burnt my hand.

Seems like a mismatch of size bulb and receptacle. Any one else have this problem?  I have pictures but can only email them, do not know how o attach attachments.

Thanks

Jim W

The light still works, but the puck is useless.

Don't know which light this is, maybe you can check socket against bulb watt rating to see if it was replaced with wrong one. I do know some of them get hot enough you better not grab it with bare hands!

Well still can't attach pictures.  I'll check out the voltage thing,  but the case that fell on the floor was what was hot. It melted.  The metel inside also melted.

Seems like a mismatch of size bulb and receptacle
  Unless the fixture shorted out, a mismatched bulb is likely exactly what caused it. That will quite often result in a melted lens, and could well be a fire hazard too.

I have heard of folks replacing the 10w halagon G4 bulbs like I have in my puck lights with 20 or 25w bulbs available at Walmart, etc. I would expect pretty much what you describe if the light were left on very long. I melted a porch light lens on my coach by replacing a burned out bulb with one that "looks the same" but was NOT the same!  Since I no longer had the original bulb, I had to go back to the wiring diagrams for my coach to find out what the proper bulb is. I have also had dealers tell me that owners who want brighter headlights have caused damage to their headlight "buckets" and burned wiring by simply inserting hotter bulbs.

Fixtures are designed for particular bulbs. Using higher wattage bulbs often requires both fixture and wiring upgrades.

Even a 10 Watt halogen gets hot enough to burn skin.  Those halogen puck lights are a nuisance, as well as being energy hogs.  Nearly all my halogen bulbs have been replaced with LED bulbs that plug into the same G4 pin base.

It,s amazing how much heat these low voltage bulbs produce and how dangerous they can become, especially when mismatched to the socket. This is why I would never use one as a nightlight. I feel better using the ones that plug into a receptacle as they are out in the open and when they burn out you usually just buy another instead of trying to replace the bulb.
Your files size is probably too large on the pics. Try shrinking them and they should post ok.

I Had the exact same thing happen to my 2006 Winnie Adventuere 37-B
I purchased a new light from dealer but haven't installed it yet. Bulb seems way too hot. I agree with probably wrong replacement bulb at some time.
I'll check the bulb in old fixture and see if it's same as bulb in new lamp assy. and post what I find.

To Mav

I cannot figure on how to get them from my I Pad to the forum. I tried copy but the forum would not take.

Jim

I tap attach and cannot put anything in.

I keep ALL my forum pix on Photobucket, to which I also have an App on the iPhone. On other forums I simply copy that link and include it in the little picture poster window, the forum goes out, grabs the pic, and there it is. On this one you need to post the link, but the end result is the same.

Mine gets hot, but not THAT hot. Maybe it's time for an LED research/ mod project here..

Jim, I'm happy to try and post them for you if you want. I assume you have synced the Ipad to your pc ok? Once you do the sync, you should be able to see the photo's on your pc. Then just email them to me, [email protected]. I will have a look and see if I can post them for you.

Here are the pictures of the melted light from Jim?s 2007 Journey. AKA Tin Man

Attachments

• photo1a.jpg
    photo1a.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 143
  • photo-2a.jpg
    photo-2a.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 88
  • photo-3a.jpg
    photo-3a.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 68
  • photo-4a.jpg
    photo-4a.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 65
  • photo-5a.jpg
    photo-5a.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 67
The metal inside is melted, and if you look at the inside you will see a piece of the metal melted into the plastic.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom