Magic Chef range burning yellow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack D

On our last outing, I noticed that our range is burning yellow. That means a carburizing flame (too much fuel or not enough air). I replaced the propane regulator with a new one last Summer and it is keeping the 11" WC as it should. I can't find any air adjustments on this range. The air inlets are wide open. Is this normal? I'm used to seeing a nice blue flame on propane appliances, but this MH is relatively "new" to us. We've had it out a few times, but it spent many months being remodeled. I'm sure if the flames were yellow before, I would have noticed, however. Not sure what is going on here. Puzzling. Is there a gas adjustment?

The flame should be blue with probably a slight yellow-orange top. Are all the burners the same? That would suggest a problem in the supply, since it would be odd for all the burners to go out of adjustment at the same time.

Yes. All burners are the same. And they are all clean. Strange things are happening. I haven't checked the fridge flame or HWT flame either. I should look to see if they are normal.

Too much propane being feed into the system.  Perhaps your new regulator is the culprit.

Sounds like an air problem. There should be an air tube right where the gas leaves the valve or very close. However this would mean all burnners are out of adjustment. Talk to your propain company where you top off.

Is altitude a factor here? The stove has fixed jets, so high altitude can throw the fuel/air mixture off. I would not expect to see a difference below 5000 ft, though.

Open the top and look at the point where the gas line connects to the distribution manifold.  Many stoves have a secondary pressure regulator there and if it's bad you'll send too much gas to the jets.

Here's a picture of the input regulator on my Amana stove - I've seen similar on Wedgewoods.

Attachments

• stove regulator.jpg
    stove regulator.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 23
The mystery deepens. I turned the propane on and checked the range again. Now they are burning nice and blue. "Strange Things Are Happening" ( song by Red Buttons). I don't have clue.

There are impurities, that can color your flame.. I know at one time match heads contained sulfur, which burns yellow.. So does a lot of the water in this country.

Gary RV Roamer said:
Is altitude a factor here?

I was parked about 3' above high tide, so not likely. I may never know. I'll keep an eye on it. Perhaps the regulator was stuck....then unstuck.

Back
Top Bottom