How many folks drive with full fresh water tanks enroute to Alaska?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

This question has piqued my interest. Is it necessary? If so, the whole way?

• Yes, always

Votes: 18 75.0%
  • Sometimes, if it is later in the year and places to fill are starting to close.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Sometimes, depending on what the "Milepost" says is up ahead.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, there are plenty of places enroute.

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Half full tank is sufficient. (Approx 50 gallons)

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
Imperial Gallons vs. US gallons!!!!

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_one_gallon_of_water_weigh

I would hazard a guess that my trailer has a 40 US gallon water tank (pretty sure they don't put Imperial tanks into Canadian RV's!).

And, seeing how my trailer is only 6,500 lbs, I'll reduce the weight however I can!

Mike

Remember folks, your right foot is what really determines your gas mileage.

Lou, that was really cute re energy efficient water.  Here is a KUDU for you.

JerryF

Get used to driving with full fuel and full fresh water when in northwestern Canada and Alaska. Especially after 8/31.

Realistically, you won't ever notice an extra 500-800 lbs of weight. The effect on tire rolling resistance is unmeasurable outside the lab.

SargeW said:
OK, I'm pretty well convinced. At least on the Alaska trip anyways! In the lower 48 I still run about 20% fresh.

Here I was beginning to think we were the odd ones since we only travel with a 1/4 tank of fresh water plus a few gallon jugs in the coach. If we traveled with a full tank, we'd be way overweight. And we're rarely going somewhere that we can't get water when we need it. Of course, there was last year at Quartzsite when the water pump was out when we got there and we had to make do with what we had for 3 days :)

Wendy

I used to run about ? tank until a MH backed over and broke a water line and we were without camp ground water for awhile. We had plenty in the tank but decided I would also keep my tank full like most do.
On another note we picked up this MH last Jan. So about the 3rd time I filled this Horizon up with fresh water I already knew it was going to take about 20 min, then I found out that you really need to open the ?manual hand fill? door on the passenger side! When you get distracted and walk off (after about 3 min. in my case) and don?t hear the water coming out the overflow onto the ground things get wet real fast. With the fill door closed the water rushes up the tube, hits the door and promptly starts fighting whether to run into the MH floor around the fridge or just fill up the 2nd lower bay. I can tell you it does a good job of both! I never realized how much water my lower bay could hold?.. :(
I now open the door and wait for the tank to fill without distraction. This was my latest (Duh) learning moment!  ::)

I have always started looking for fuel when we get to around 1/2 tank, just as a normal practice. Will this still apply on the Alaska trip?

There are many factors that are figured in, with the closing of seasonal business in AK.

The weather for one, and how well the business fared during the season for another.

I would not depend on any business to be opened after Aug 15th. Even if the book says they are opened until Sept. 15th. Including gas stations.

Call ahead, and keep well stocked with supplies.

Yes, I believe it's a good idea to fill the fuel tank by the time it gets around half full.  The distances in Alaska and Canada are much more than what we're used to and, if a fuel stop closes early for the season, you want to have enough to get to the next one.  Like Barb said, weather and the economic activity both play a large part in whether the businesses up there decide to stay open late or close early.

ArdraF

Due to shuffling some stuff around, we will head into Canada in early July and be back in September sometime.  We should be OK as far as closures go.  Unless the schedule gets goofed up somehow!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom