just a few questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dog_soldier

i hope some of the questions dont sound to stupid but here goes.

1) do TT come with a generator or do they work another way? like a battery?
if they work another way what should i look for or ask about?

2) we have a 99 jeep cherokee with a HEMI  ;D ans im wondering if it will pull a TT. im thinking it will but need to hear from people that know more about this then me. the specs are:
GAWR F 2750 LB
GAWR R 2950 LB
GVWR 5500 LB

right now we have a MH but the wife and i have been thinking of getting a TT in the next year or so. we have seen a few we really like and if it comes to it we would be able to live in it.
i think this is all for now but im sure ill have more questions.

1. TTs don't normally come with a generator.  A 12 volt deep cycle battery is used to provide power when you are not plugged into an AC circuit.  If you are camped at a campground with AC power, you can plug in and the TTs converter will provide 12 volt DC power or 120 AC as required.

2.  Check out the trailer life tow rating for your 99 cherokee at:  http://www.trailerlife.com/downloads/99towingguide.pdf

thanks lowell
the link says 5000 LBS so i can go from there
as for batteries.. is 2 batteries better then 1? since we boondock would 2 be better or would 1 do us for a weekend?

You will likely want two batteries for a weekend. And get a good brand of deep cycle battery, not one of the so-called Marine or dual-purpose batteries.  Trojan is an excellent brand.

dog_soldier said:
i hope some of the questions dont sound to stupid but here goes.

2) we have a 99 jeep cherokee with a HEMI  ;D ans im wondering if it will pull a TT. im thinking it will but need to hear from people that know more about this then me. the specs are:
GAWR F 2750 LB
GAWR R 2950 LB
GVWR 5500 LB

right now we have a MH but the wife and i have been thinking of getting a TT in the next year or so. we have seen a few we really like and if it comes to it we would be able to live in it.
i think this is all for now but im sure ill have more questions.

The 2000 Trailer Life Towing tables give the following tow ratings:

Grand Cherokee 4.7 V-8 6,500b,c,d,e
Grand Cherokee Limited (4WD) 4.7 V-8 5,000b

Notes:
b Requires weight-distributing hitch with a maximum hitch
weight of 750 pounds.
c Requires trailer-towing package.
d Requires automatic transmission.
e 4WD rated 200 pounds lower.

Discount those ratings by 10%.  Make that 20% if you would tow in the mountian and Pacific west.  You should tow a travel with a GVWR no greater than the discounted tow ratings.  What that means that if you have the Limited, you should figure on a hybrid or popup.  If you have the 6500 lb configuration, figure on a light weight trailer 24 foot on down in length.  It will be a vacation rated unit, not  a full timer.

I think it is time to update that towing guide. 1999 was a long time ago. It doesn't even list the Hemi which is a 5.7. I wonder what other changes have not been included.

Bayou Talker said:
I think it is time to update that towing guide. 1999 was a long time ago. It doesn't even list the Hemi which is a 5.7. I wonder what other changes have not been included.

First of all it is the 2000 towing guide evaluating the configurations on the market in 2000.   The 2008 guide evaluates the 2008 models.  That is the way the Trailer Life Towing Guides are organized.

That said, I have dug up the 1999 Guides.  The Grand Cherokee ratings there are:

Grand Cherokee 5.2 V-8 6,700b,c,d,e
Grand Cherokee Limited (4WD) 5.9 V-8 5,000b

Notes:
b  Requires weight-distributing hitch with a maximum hitch
weight of 750 pounds.
c  Requires trailer-towing package.
d  Requires automatic transmission.
e  4WD rated 200 pounds lower

Take them for what they are worth.

Bayou Talker said:

There is very likely another concern that is determining the tow rating other than the engine.  Brakes, drivetrain, or any number of things need to be considered.

Carl L said:
First of all it is the 2000 towing guide evaluating the configurations on the market in 2000.   The 2008 guide evaluates the 2008 models.  That is the way the Trailer Life Towing Guides are organized.

I see what you are saying. What I was referring to was that he said he had a Hemi in his 1999 Jeep but the Hemi is not listed as an option in the guide. The 5.9 would be prior to the Hemi which is a 5.7. It seems there is a discrepancy somewhere either in the guide or his info.

Bayou Talker said:
I see what you are saying. What I was referring to was that he said he had a Hemi in his 1999 Jeep but the Hemi is not listed as an option in the guide. The 5.9 would be prior to the Hemi which is a 5.7. It seems there is a discrepancy somewhere either in the guide or his info.

The Dodge 5.7 Hemi was introduced at the 2001 N. American Auto Show.  The 1999 and 2000 model years would be too early.

Carl L said:
The Dodge 5.7 Hemi was introduced at the 2001 N. American Auto Show.   The 1999 and 2000 model years would be too early.

That was the info I had too. I guess he was wrong about his vehicle. BTW How do you get these towing rating guides? I could not find them on their website.

Here is the page that links to each year's guide:

Trailer Life Tow Guides

But the Towing Guide link is right on the front page of trailerlife.com. There's a red bar that says Towing Guide and a Ford logo that links to the 2008 guide with additional links below for earlier years.

Thanks RV Roamer,

I looked all over the site yesterday and could not find it. Now that you have sent it to me I went back and tried again from the home page and found it in one click. Some days nothing goes right I guess.

i was wrong on motor ...sorry
i wonder what the difference is between the grand cherokee and the grand cherokee limited? i know mine has 16" tires

dog_soldier said:
i wonder what the difference is between the grand cherokee and the grand cherokee limited? i know mine has 16" tires

The practical difference is listed in the numbers I gave.  If the 16" wheels are not stock, and 15" wheels are, they could serve to reduce towing capacity by effectively lowering the final drive ratio.  Tire diameter would enter into the picture too.

dog_soldier said:

HMMM our previous 99, 01, and the now 06 Grand Cherokee Limiteds all have 17 inch tires which is standard for them.

Ron said:
HMMM our previous 99, 01, and the now 06 Grand Cherokee Limiteds all have 17 inch tires which is standard for them.

That could account for some of the reduced tow ratings on the Limited.

mine is a grand cherokee limited and i just went and checked the door tag and it says 16" tires.
we bought it used so i am still trying to figure stuff out on it.  i know i like the cars from the 60's back better then this stuff they got now.

'm not sure about the 1999 JGC but in 2001, the JGC came with either 16 or 17 inch tires depending on the package that was on the unit.  If the off road skid plates and other stuff was there, it had 17 inch tires, if no off road stuff, it had 16 inch tires.  You might look underneath and see.

Also check with a Jeep dealer as they should be able to get the information for your unit from the VIN.

Back
Top Bottom