Canine chiropractic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Gabby, our cockapoo, gave birth to four puppies approx 5 weeks ago. Three of the pups have been coming along just great, but one that had a difficult birth hasn't been doing so good; He's been unable to use his hind legs. He looks like a seal when he pulls himself along with his front legs, while his hind legs stick out straight behind and are dragged along.

Last week Chris took the puppy to the vet, and met up with the breeder there. The prognosis was that he'll never have the use of his hind legs, and will need to have wheels fitted.

Over the weekend, some old friends dropped by unannounced. They're a husband and wife, both chiropractors, who we haven't seen for many years. The husband observed the pup for a few minutes, picked him up and, with his wife's help, did a little adjusting. Would you believe the puppy is walking on all fours! He needs time for his unused muscles to develop, but we're elated at what we see.

Unfortunately, our friends were headed home, and we may need to find another chiropractor for follow-up adjustments.

Wow Tom - that's an amazing story!  I've never been a big fan of the "manipulators" and x-ray takers but you can't argue with results.  Since you are on the left coast, there are bound to be pet chiropractors readily available ;) .

I hope so John. I understand it's illegal in some states, but haven't checked out CA.

I've never been a big fan of the "manipulators"

I was converted when I first visited a guy who was among the top 5 on the west coast. The couple who visited on the weekend both worked in his office (at different times) after graduation with their DC.

At our last home, the guy next door (another Tom) was also a chiropractor, but from a different school. Most traditional DCs come out of the Palmer school, whereas this guy was out of the Blair school. He (the neighbor) believed that everything could be fixed by adjusting only the atlas. That was until I walked in his office, said "Dr. Tom I presume", and he had to switch to the Palmer method to straighten me up.

Did you see the Today Show today with the puppy that had suffered from "Swimming Puppy" syndrome? Couldn't walk or move any legs. She's been undergoing massage and hydro-therapy and can now walk. It was very cute watching her chew on Matt Lauer's shoes.

Wendy

Didn't see that show Wendy. A vet friend of ours told Chris about "swimmers" when she talked to him on the phone, although he has no personal experience of treating it, nor has he seen our puppy.

Does Gabby get to retire now from being a momma and just be a well-pampered hairy kid?

One of the vets where we go does Accupuncture with very good results. I'm all for trying anything that helps the hairy kids.

Wendy

[quote author=Wendy]Does Gabby get to retire now from being a momma...?[/quote]

The deal with the breeder says two more litters.

Never heard of "adjusting" pets, but I've had great success with chiropractic care... so why wouldn't they!  Pretty cool story.

Our friend said that dogs, are easier to manipulate than humans; They're hoizontal vs vertical, and they don't stiffen up or move in anticipation of an adjustment.

We've been actively encouraging the "swimmer" to walk and build up his leg muscles. He has a long way to go, but he's now running. Occasionally, he seems to forget he can do this, and one of his rear legs folds. But he picks himself up and carries on as if nothing happened.

If I wasn't previously a believer in alternative medicine, I sure am now.

Sounds like he's got a lot of spunk. Keep working with him, he deserves it.

Wendy

I just talked with the veterinarian friend of ours. He just can't believe that this wasn't a fluke.

I could use some manipulation with my back.

Jim, If you lie on the floor face down, I'll send the puppy over to walk up and down your spine  ;D

Tom,

That's great. Bring puppy on over. ;D Hurry as it is now snowing in Yellowstone!! South entrance has been closed but It's probably only temporary.

Jim Dick said:
Tom,

That's great. Bring puppy on over. ;D Hurry as it is now snowing in Yellowstone!! South entrance has been closed but It's probably only temporary.

Another storm coming in, Jim. 

See you next spring.

Carl,

Probably will be an ongoing thing now. Hopefully it won't be too bad. Usually at this time of year the snow doesn't last long. At least that's what we were told. ;D ;D

Jim, on one of my many trips to Singapore, I had an empty day between appointments and was taking it easy in my hotel room. Received a call from our Singapore rep asking if I'd like to go for a massage. Having never had a massage, I agreed. But, when we went into a dark room in the basement of a high rise, they gave us each a pair of boxer shorts, and two young ladies came in, I thought "what have I let myself in for?"  :eek:

Turns out in was all on the up and up. One gal started at my feet, and quickly realized I was out of alignment. She had me lie face down, she stood on my back, and proceeded to tweak every vertibrae with her toes. Good job she only weighed 90 lbs  ;D  When she was done, my back felt so good.

Back
Top Bottom