Wheel Cover Noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tbone

Hi, One of our wheelcovers on our 2011 Sunova, specifically the front left, makes a noise similar to a rock/pebble rolling around. I checked and there is no debris and nothing loose. Our dealer said it is because the cover is secured by 2 lugs (versus a normal car wheel cover where you have to press the wheel cover on to the rim) and that the noise is the cover rubbing on the rim. I did remove the cover and the noise is gone. Anyone run into this or similar issue and have a suggestion. thx

I've had more problems, over the years, with wheel covers making squeaking/rattling noises if they were of the rim gripping type than with the ones that use the two lug attachment method.  About all you can do is make sure the mounting studs and faux lug nuts that hold the cover on can be tightened completely.  There should be no flex or looseness between the studs and the two cover mounting holes.  Sometimes a little forming (bending?) is required to prevent rubbing or flexing on the rim.

You certainly are not the first, or only, person to experience this problem.

thx much for the advice. I will check lug tightness..

You might try positioning the faux wheel trim under a couple different lugs (if that is possible with yours). Sometimes a change in orientation stops the vibration that leads to the noise. And sometimes it takes a rubber mallet...  ;)

[quote author=Gary RV Roamer]
......... sometimes it takes a rubber mallet...  ;)
[/quote]

LOL Gary, I forgot to mention that Shade Tree mechanics Speed Wrench,... the mallet....

i agree sounds plausible and will give that a try.. thx

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom