Great Sand Dunes National Park and Zapata Falls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

micd111

We took a 4 day trip to the Great Sand Dunes National Park. We stayed 2 days at Pinyon Flats (in the park) and one day at Zapata Falls Campground which amazingly enough is free. We hiked to the falls which involves hiking through a stream bed to get there. It was lots of fun.

Here is a link to my blog and pictures.

http://1994brave29rqrv.blogspot.com/2011/10/pinyon-flats-campgroun.html

We had a wonderful time and are hoping to get one more trip in before winterization.

Cheers!
Michelle

We like Great Sand Dunes but have never been to Zapata Falls. Where is it ? I see that you have a 29er so our 28-footer should fit, too.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

It is a few miles (maybe 3 or 4) before you get to the entrance of the Great Sand Dunes on highway 150. The web site says 8 miles south of the visitor center.

Your RV will definitely fit.

Michelle

We'll have to give it a try next we're over that way. The spaces look great.

Wendy

Pack plenty of bug repellent.  Don't know if the old golf course south of NP is still in operation but we played there "once" and if you weren't lucky your golf ball could "disturb" a swarm of bugs that would attack with a vengeance.  Never seen anything even close in my life.  After the first attack, we quit and ran to the car.  The guy in the "pro" shop said, "shoulda warned you but most folks know about the bugs."  We headed south at high speed and never even had a chance to see the dunes up close.  It's a weird place, IMHO.

Interesting. We did not have any problems with bugs in July or during our recent trip (Sept./Oct.) However we did not go to a golf course. Colorado in general is very dry so bugs aren't much of a problem. Perhaps the golf course created their own problem watering the grass for the course.

Michelle

We've never had a problem with bugs there, either. We do get some pretty nasty pinyon gnats in the spring that will munch on you but there's nothing out this time of year, especially after yesterday and today's weather.

Wendy

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom