Ok guys how hard to get around

• Thread starter PatrioticStabilist
  • Start date
The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
P

PatrioticStabilist

Yeah, I know, I know.  All of you said oh you will get a different motorhome.  Well hubby is thinking a 40 ft diesel pusher.  I'm not sure.  He said its no harder to get around then my 30 foot one.  But that's 10 more foot out there.

What do you think about that, to much or not??

I'd say Not! Particularly when going from a gasser to a diesel, it actually becomes easier to fuel up since you go to the truck pumps. The drawback might be getting into some of the smaller parks, but you seem to stick to the beaten path anyway.
Ernie

Does a 40 ft diesel pusher drive better in the wind or crosswind.

Mine is only a 34 footer, but DP's handle and ride much better than a gas puller.  You end up with better weight distribution, better braking and suspension, better turning radius, bigger tires, and lots of other little advantages.  But you are correct, it is 10 feet longer, so you do need to adjust to its overall length while driving or trying to park it.  Usually, these require only a small adjustment period, but no one can guarantee that.

Ed

Carolyn,

I had a 29 foot Class A gas motorhome, then a 26 foot Class A gas and now a 40 foot diesel pusher.  I can tell you that the 26 foot was easier to maneuver than the 29 foot was and both were easier to maneuver than the 40 foot.  I think I told you in another thread that the 40 foot diesel was easier to drivethan either of the gas motorhomes, and that is true due to more stability on the road, better steering and a smoother, quieter ride.  Yes, it does drive better in the wind and crosswinds and doesn't get buffeted by the 18 wheelers like a lighter gas coach does.  But it is always more difficult to negotiate turns and get into tight places with a longer wheelbase, longer motorhome than a shorter one.  The width and height are a little more, but not enough to change too much about how you get around, but the length does make a difference.  It's something you have to get used to and account for when traveling in a longer coach.  Is it worth it?  To me, absolutely.  But, you and your husband will have to decide that for yourself.  Drive one and see how it feels.

Dan

I was afraid of them when I first started to drive it.  You should have seen me driving it home through Houston the first time.  I was welded to the steering wheel, terrified out of my mind.  but I said I can do this, I'm not really worried about the extra 10 ft other then thinking how much of an inconvenience it might be to actually get around. I wouldn't mind one a bit shorter but I really don't see that many around.

I got in some supertight parks with even bigger then that in them and wondered how they did it.  I'm sure after driving around a bit I will be fine.  Most of the things we go to see we will use the toad anyway, I don't want to hook, uphook, etc.  I did that the first few times and it was ok and I would have done it, but to unhook everything to go get milk was  a hassle. Hubby insisted I get a toad so I did and haven't been sorry.

Also I imagine if the park people see a woman driving they will put me in the biggest spot around! :eek: ;)

I did test drive one the very first time I drove one and I think I turned grey, but that was before I had ever driven any motorhome.  Now I think I'm more "seasoned".

PatrioticStabilist said:
Does a 40 ft diesel pusher drive better in the wind or crosswind.

Yes, they generally do handle better in the wind.  However, if it's a very strong wind diesels and gas coaches both have a hard time.

Marsha~

I have been living in a 27 foot Class A for the last two years. The year prior to that I lived in a 39 foot DP. I have never pulled a toad. I really don't see a lot of difference between the two as far as driving or maneuvering goes. Sure the DP is taller and longer, but no matter what else happens the back of the RV will always follow the front of the RV. Backing either of them up was never a problem, I always use my mirrors and never rely on a spotter or a back up camera. The DP was a little bit better at handling in crosswinds than the gasser, probably because the DP was 20 years newer.

Actually the DP does have a handling advantage. DPs have a tighter turning radius since there is no engine to get into the way so it is slightly easier to turn tight circles with. Most of the problems people have with driving a larger rig is psychological. Quit worrying about it and go get one. You won't regret it and you will be aces at driving it in less than a year.

I haven't used a spotter either, Sue Anne couldn't help, so its me looking and if necessary getting out to see exactly where I am and that's not going to change.  I have no problem using mirrors.

I drive a pickup and 20 plus foot flatbed around in the traffic here near Houston, of course I realize that's different.  And I've not got to go this year like I wanted.  but I hope to some. When I first started pulling anything I was petrified as I did it more now its pretty much second nature.  I told hubby the biggest challenge would be turning into our fenced yard.  I made him set one side back further and probably would both sides to get them in.

My motorhome now is the wide body 8 1/2 ft so doubt this older one is any wider then that.

I just need to decide pretty quick as he has to leave the 17th and all has to be done before then.

The one I'm looking at is older, hubby said not to worry about maintenance he can take care of most anything that needs done, so that isn't an issue. 

Which one are you looking at?  You mentioned PPL in another post, is that where you're looking?  They were great to work with on mine.

Dan

Do you (or he!!) really need/want a 40fter?? Pushers can be much shorter than that if you look around and are patient.

I have looked at several, nothing firm yet.  I would prefer one a bit shorter.

We had a figure in mind but we are thinking newer and hubby said we will have to add money to it to get newer.

We are still mulling it over.

If we buy older, its a good buy.  However, if we decide to go newer later he said we will have to come up with $70k to do so.

Our 2005 Sightseer is in excellent condition, nothing wrong, I was just wanting something less prone to be buffeted by wind, and the cruise doesn't work, we haven't looked to see why, I never use it.  Hubby has been after me to get it fixed. The carpet is ok, nothing great, if I keep it will trade out, only reason I haven't is not sure how to fix the motor cover.  I've only driven it about 13000 miles.  We did replace that switch unit panel, can't think what you call it and it has brand new tires too.  Tom upgraded the thing with gadgets.  I'm sure we would take our new satellite dome off and switch it out, its only a few months old.

Carolyn,

Just my personal thoughts here.  We have had our 35+ foot diesel pusher since Nov, 2002.  We bought it new.  It has one large slideout, I would like if it had a bedroom slide;  but not enough to buy a new coach.  We usually are in it 5-6 months out of the year.  We have 80,000+ miles on it and have been everywhere in ours; including  Newfoundland.  35-36' are very easy to handle and get into places..  I have backed it up alone with no problems and I do half of the driving.  We pull a Hyundai Tucson SUV making us 53' long.

But..... ;) if I were to buy a new coach today, I would be looking at a 38' with 3-4 slides; two in the living area and at least one in the bedroom.  The more slides gives you bigger living space without getting longer.  It just seems it would be much more manuverable and easy to handle.  Just my opinion.

Marsha~

Carolyn,

When I read your initial posting I thought "that sounds familiar."  When we started thinking about moving up from a gas Class C to a Class A DP our big question was identical.  When we moved from a 22 gas C to a 30 gas C, the question was do we really want to haul around a 10-foot long bedroom.  The answer was yes, and we loved it.  Then the question of moving up to a DP started as we were going up to the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70.  As our speed was dropping Jerry announced he wanted a diesel pusher and the seed was planted.  By the next year we had moved up to a 34-foot Class A DP.  Eventualy we moved up to the 40 DP we currently have.  We've loved them all!  I do believe driving the DPs are easier.  You certainly have much better visitibility and even though we had pretty good stability in the old ones, yes I do believe the two DPs have better stability.  Part of it has to do with the coach itself.  If you're driving behind an A that has what look like small thin tires, then it probably won't have stability that's very good.  But if you're behind one that has nice "fat" tires, then chances are it will have better stability and hug the road better.

Another big difference is rear overhang.  A lot of Class Cs have really long overhangs that affect maneuverability.  Class A DPs tend to have less overhang and a longer wheelbase so they're more stable for that reason too.

I do have a question for you.  Are you still planning on your trip to the Pacific Northwest?  Getting a new motorhome just before a big trip like that can be dicey and especially if Tom isn't around to help you get it ready to go.  I'm just thinking about whether this is good timing.  You've probably already taken it into consideration and it will be part of the decision.

The biggest issue with a 40 DP is you can't always fit into some of the state and national parks you might want to enjoy.  It isn't always the length of the site per se, but the number of trees to maneuver around getting to that site.  We've encountered a few problems like that, but even with the 30 foot C we couldn't fit everywhere.  As long as you know it can be an issue ahead of time, it's not a problem.

ArdraF

Ardra is right, the bigger the motorhome there are fewer places to camp, but when I had the 39 footer it rarely was a problem. There are zillions of campgrounds and RV parks in the US. You will fit into just about every RV park in the country but there will be state and National Park campgrounds that are hard to fit into. But with planning before you depart you can eliminate this worry.

IMHO, it's kinda like boats or airplanes... once you are underway it is actually easier to drive or pilot the larger ones and far more comfortable.  It's when you get to the harbor, or the airport or the driveway or the RV park and have to turn around or whatever, then it changes and the smaller ones are easier.  You can learn to do either one but they are quite different in close quarters, IMHO.

But.....  if I were to buy a new coach today, I would be looking at a 38' with 3-4 slides; two in the living area and at least one in the bedroom.  The more slides gives you bigger living space without getting longer.  It just seems it would be much more manuverable and easy to handle.  Just my opinion.

That is so funny, exactly what hubby said.  He goes why not shorter and more slides, he said the inside then would be almost like a small house or apartment and you could still get it around. 

I have thought about it all day and decided not to get the 40 footer.  We are going to keep looking. 

My old friend up in Oregon said she is getting snow already, so I may have to let that go.  It's just been such an awful year.  Sue Anne sick, then the most Godawful hot summer.  I'm just itching to go, I will take my nice little coach and just be careful if it blows hard and go.  We will probably go to Vegas, its been awhile and DD LOVES to go out there.  Then we can see some sights.  We can also run across to Florida later if we want.  But next year I want to go north. 

But I'm going to have my eyes open, watching for the perfect one.  Hubby said you two also need something newer so you won't have breakdowns, he said we probably need to add more to the budget for one. The one I have is very nice, I guess I'm getting that the motorhome over there looks so much better illness! ;)

Hubby wanted me to bid on this, ummmmm

Attachments

• 29950_1.jpg
    29950_1.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 147

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back