propane tank too old

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

recycled55

I just bought a 84 winnie chieftain recently and was shocked today when I went to the local bbq tank refill place .  He said my tank was too old for him to refill.  He said I had to go to a local rv store and have them check it out.  Went there and they said "we don't do that".
Another bulk distrubitor  said I should just buy a new tank and replace it.  That came up to a tune of about 350.00
They said any tank over 12 yrs old couldn't be refilled.
I was told it had to be "certified first"
I went to another rv dealer a few more miles away and he refilled it with no hesitation at all.
recycled55

The RV dealer knew what he was doing, the local bar-b-que place, not so much since he likely has never seen an RV.!!!

If the tank is the "built in" to the motorhome type (ie not portable) there is no expiry date, they are good forever (except for obvious damage). These are covered under the ASME standards.

Only the portable tanks typically used for bar-b-ques etc. have the 12 year limit in USA and must be re-certified. These are regulated under DOT(?) standards.  In Canada that limit is 10 years.

I just did a quick Google search and found that yes you do have to certify your propane tanks after 12 years. I would suggest you do a search and check out what the regulations say. Way to much verbiage for me to re-type. I used the following criteria:

rv propane tank certify

Jay T

... and you came up with the wrong answer for a typical motorhome tank ... I modified my posting above to clarify the standards somewhat....

As I understand it, and if the regulations for boats are in any way similar to those for motorhomes, while attached tanks do not need to be periodically recertified, REGULATORS do need periodic certification, even on attached/built-in tanks.

Re-certification depends on who certified the cylinder to start with. You can find ASME tanks and you can find DOT tanks on boats, motorhomes, trailers, backyards, BBQ's, forklifts, even on cars and trucks.

DOT requires inspection and recertification after a number of years, 12 for the first and 5 thereafter.

ASME requires a visual inspection of every cylinder every time it's filled. Excessive rust, dents, or other damage to an ASME tank will generally keep it from being refilled. Or should I say it should if the rules are being followed. We all know how often rules are followed.

As a general rule though, if your tank stands upright it's a DOT tank and if it lays down it's not.

Ken

I agree with the statement that DOT tanks on Motor Homes do not need re-cert, However the pump jockies at your local filling station often don't know when to use paper and when to use a shovel (Line from a movie: "Of course I know the difference, you need a shovel to did a hole in the ground". I'll let you figure out the question that's an answer to)

Find a propane Distributor (Wholesaler) often they can do re-certs if your tank needs it, Portable (Removable or upright) tanks do need recert from time to time, I've watched them do it (Well part of the procedure)

Sometimes the station manager will know the difference in the tanks... But I'd not count on it.

Here in Canada I had my built in tank refilled by a mobile refilling service. He indicated that built in tanks do not need recertification like externals do. Now that is just one businesses opinion that may differ from others.

Find a local propane dealer who knows what they're doing and have your tank filled there.  Even when we're on the road we look for Suburban, Ferrellgas, Amerigas or another propane retailer.

ArdraF

I agree with the statement that DOT tanks on Motor Homes do not need re-cert,

And you too would be wrong.  A fixed mount tank in a motorhome is not a DOT tank and nearly all motorhomes have fixed tanks (some Class B's and a few older C's will have DOT tanks). Fixed mount tanks are certified to ASME standrads, whereas portable tanks are certified to DOT standards, and the two have different specs and different certification requirements.

I had been told folks couldn't fill my tank because of the age.  Its a horizontal tank bolted up under the rv.  I contacted Manchester tank and they said
"If this a ASME tank( should have a 4x4 welded on data plate), in the US no re-certification is required.  In Canada, re-certification is required (age is dependent on which providence)."

You may do your self a favor and if the tank looks old and rusty sand it and paint it.

dabrooks said:
You may do your self a favor and if the tank looks old and rusty sand it and paint it.

I agree, a good looking well kept up tank can make all the difference in the world. I've had to clean and paint every tank I've had on my last three coachs, and I have to do this one too soon as it warms up a bit.

Fellow posters. If your reply to a technical question starts with "I been told" or "as I understand" , please consider fact checking before you post.  Propane storage is serious business and the agreement you made to forum was to provide accurate answers. Maybe you could keep the unqualified answers to color choices or dinette cushion firmness. 

LAZY DAZE OWNER said:
Fellow posters. If your reply to a technical question starts with "I been told" or "as I understand" , please consider fact checking before you post.  Propane storage is serious business and the agreement you made to forum was to provide accurate answers. Maybe you could keep the unqualified answers to color choices or dinette cushion firmness.

First, welcome to the forum.
Can you be a little more specific?

I bought a 20 year old 5er last year with two external propane tanks. I took them down and had them refilled. Once they emptied out I took them back. They were closed so I went to the local KOA and they refused to refill it because it was too old. This was the first I had heard about tanks needing inspection. I could have returned to the original spot and they would refill it without question. But I decided that if they were too unsafe to be refilled then maybe it was a good idea not to use them. I bought one of the Rhino refillable tanks and now get a replacement every month.

The Rhino tanks should be good to refill instead of trading for another Rhino tank. Rhino is one of my dislikes, as they charge a lot more than what they are worth, especially considering they only put 15# in a 20# bottle.

kdbgoat said:
The Rhino tanks should be good to refill instead of trading for another Rhino tank. Rhino is one of my dislikes, as they charge a lot more than what they are worth, especially considering they only put 15# in a 20# bottle.
I like trading them in. It is very convenient and only costs $15.

I was given one of the tall cylinders (I think it's about 25gal) that needs to be recertified. When I checked the requirements what I found was that the original tanks are good for 12 years, then have to be recertified every 5 years. Called the local propane dealer, cost for recertification much less than I anticipated, runs $7-12 depending on how quickly you want it done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom