rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Full timers and MX (maintenance)  (Read 2317 times)

LV4NYG

• ---
Full timers and MX (maintenance)
« on: October 16, 2011, 10:16:00 AM »
hello, been away for some time.
was wondering how you all plan MH MX into your plans when you are a fulltimer.  what works for you all?  trying to get a good knowlodge base.  When i retire from military, would like to spend first 5 years touring country just MH and toad(toad TBD).

please link any good points of interest.

I really like
http://www.mhsrv.com/

I think they have a nice service option and i could just plan places like this into my trips?

thanks in advance for any ideas.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2011, 10:19:18 AM by LV4NYG »

donn

• ---
Re: Full timers and MX (maintenance)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2011, 11:49:59 AM »
Places like Camping World often have a full hookup site for people who are in for or are going in for maintenance work.  They will generally require you to vacate the RV during the day, but will have it back to you by 5 or 6 in the evening.

LV4NYG

• ---
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2011, 11:53:13 AM »
will look into them  thank you.

Jeff

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2011, 08:22:28 PM »
I'm not sure if you were asking about the company in your link for buying or maintaining a RV. Remember that if you are fulltiming you will seldom be near the dealer you purchased from so it becomes more a process of checking out facilities near where you perhaps winter or spend time with family each year.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2011, 09:11:21 PM »
Our coach is on a Freightliner chassis, so we try to swing by the Freightliner Factory Service Center (Garney, SC) once a year to get planned maintenance done, plus any non-emergency chassis repairs.  I do oil changes, fuel filters and generator service myself, but other routine maintenance I have done by pros. If we were not going to be near SC at any time, I would probably select a Freightliner OASIS (RV-qualified) service center near where I was. But they aren't all great choices, so I would consult with my friends here about the best locations. I also like Cummins Engine Coach Care Service Centers, but would still consult here first to learn about the track record of the ones along my route.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Kim (skyking4ar2) Bertram

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • I don't know what I don't know so I look here...
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2011, 09:44:44 PM »
We also have a Freightliner chassis, but do not travel as far east as Gaffney, SC. We used an Oasis Freightliner service in Hammond, LA last year and that worked well. It was a baseline maintenance before we left for the year, since we had no service records.

We arranged ahead of time what services were to be performed, and got an appointment. We showed up at early thirty and I worked in their waiting area on their in-house wifi until they were finished. The work was completed long before the end of day, and I was very pleased with the service.

We purchased our coach from Camping World and were told that most CW's try to accommodate fulltimers with at least electricity and water when they require service overnight. Many have a new owner shakedown pad or pads, so it is not too much of a stretch to find that service.

An aside, though, is that if you full time with pets, they may want you to kennel the critters if they don't leave the coach during servicing. We were asked to kennel the cats, and the service folks were free to do what they needed to do.
Kim & Christi Bertram
SKP 106183
FMCA 420913
----------------------------------
2012 Thor Damon Tuscany 42RQ
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel
Trailer Ranch RV Resort, Santa Fe, NM