Check engine light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alrod013

Recently our Check engine light came on and we lost power. All the gauges read normal. The fuel filters had been changed in June. After sitting for 5 minutes, we started out again and had the same thing happen about 10 miles later. Let it sit again and this time we got to our destination (60 miles) with no problem. Any suggestions as to what this could be. Am sure there are various possibilities.  Thanks

Either buy a code reader or take it to a chassis repair shop and have them read the codes.

It could be about a hundred different things... and getting the code read will narrow it down.  ;)  That's your first step.

Getting the code read would certainly be the next best step.  However, it's a DP.  Does a DP use the same codes as a gasser or it have to go to a diesel shop most likely?

Tom,

Diesels have ther own set of codes.  There may be a way to get them other than at a dealer or someone with a VMSpc/VMS. .  If someone near you has either a VMSpc or a VMS they can hook up to your MH and read the codes.

Probably you are limited to a dealer or diesel repair shop.

Jim Godward said:
Probably you are limited to a dealer or diesel repair shop.
That's what I thought, so the option of buying a reader or getting it read at a local auto parts store is not likely - and I don't need the info, the OP does.

Had the same problem a few months ago. Took it to an RV repir shop in Oxnard, Cal. After $600.00 worth of trying to find the problem, including checking the codes it was determined to be alge in the fuel. Was found by checking the bowl beneath the fuel filter. After installing new filters nd a large dose of algicide the problem went away. Havent had a problem since. The bowl will have small particles of alge in it.  Good luck  Bob S.

Forgot to add that if the coach sits for a while in warm climate you need to keep algicide in the fuel. Luckely I didnt have to drop the tank  to clean it out. You only know this if repeated fuel filters are needed to clean out the alge.  Bob S.

Molaker said:
That's what I thought, so the option of buying a reader or getting it read at a local auto parts store is not likely - and I don't need the info, the OP does.

He didn't say which vehicle it the check engine light came on.  It could be the toad.

Sorry I was not more specific. Problem of check engine light is with 2004 Itasca Horizon 40 AD with Cummins ISL 400 engine.

It sounds like you went into 'limp mode'.  That's where your ECM (Engine Control Module) only lets you travel at speeds up to 25 MPH to allow you to get it in to a shop to be fixed.  Some fault codes are intermittent, they may come on and off at various times and may or may not go into 'limp mode' depending on the seriousness of the fault code.

You should definitely be able to read the fault code from the display panel of your motorhome.  I had an intermittent check engine light on our 2001 Cummins ISB engine and I inquired around about how to read the fault code myself.  I finally found someone on a different forum who told me how to read the code from the display panel.  I waited until the fault code was active and then shut off the engine and read the fault code (it was a 115 fault code) which told me I had a bad speed sensor signal.  Rather than bring it in to a shop, I managed (with help) to replace the speed sensor at home (not an easy job as we had to remove the oil pan to get at the speed sensor). 

Back
Top Bottom