92 Dutchmen Class C holding tank removal advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drewb0y

I am trying to refurbish my Grandfathers 92 Dutchmen Class C as he passed away recently, and we'd rather keep it in the family than sell it. The grey water tank which is located on the passenger side roughly under the toilet area has a large hole in it. The black water tank, which is on the drivers side underneath the shower has a decent sized (maybe 6 in. crack in it.
I need to drop both tanks and remove them for repair but have no idea where to start. I was able to get a pdf of the user guide from the manufacturer but that of course has only very basic information.

I checked a couple RV shops and all have said the tanks are unavailable. So the plan is to pull them and repair with plasti-mend.

Any suggestions as to where to start? I searched for instructions online but they are different for every vehicle.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Attached is a pic of what it looks like. if that helps

Attachments

• rv_slide.php.jpg
    rv_slide.php.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 13
Are the cracks accessable to repair with the tanks in place?  Drill a hole at each end of the crack to relieve the stress and keep the crack from spreading, then patch.

The inlet and outlet lines are either slipped into flanges molded into the tank wall and held in place with hose clamps, or they're glued in place.  If they're glued you'll have to cut the lines and use a pipe barrel to rejoin them when you replace the tank.  The toilet and the vent lines go into slip fittings on the top of each tank.  These will pull free when you lower the tank.

Another possibility is to find the tanks yourself, then contract with one of the RV shops to swap them in.

Here's a couple of sources for replacement tanks - you may not be able to find exact matches, but I'll bet there's something you can make work:

PPL Motorhome RV Holding Tanks

Plastic-Mart

Tank Depot

New tanks are available. There are #'s on the tank, you will see them once you getb the tank out. To get them out you will have to go under the MH and remove the straps and disconnect the drain pipes. BIG fun! be sure that the tanks are as empty as possible. There is a company in Ontari, Ca that acn make any tank, takes about one week.
J

Thanks for the advice. Going to take a look at ti this afternoon and see if I can get them dropped. Will post back with results!

BTW, I don't know where your tanks are located, but if one or both are directly in line with the wheels (outboard of the chassis rails) consider adding some protection against flying rocks.  That's usually what takes out the tanks.

When I replaced the grey tank on my old Winnebago Brave, I was able to find a tank that was almost 50% larger (30 gallons vs. 22) than the original and still fit in the available space behind the rear wheels.  Then I installed metal rock guards to protect the front and bottom edges of the tank.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom