Covering refrigerator vents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tim in Wyoming

What's the best way to cover the vent openings on the side of my pop-up for the winter? I could just use duct tape and shrink wrap etc but wonder if there's a better way? My pop-up will be sitting on a concrete pad uncovered all winter. We live in Laramie, Wyoming and the wind here blows the snow sideways all winter.
  Thanks for any tips!
Tim

Assuming you are talking about the furnace, water heater and fridge vents, you could just remove the covers and put a sheet of plastic (trash bag or whatever) over the opening then reinstall the cover.  The cover should hold the plastic in place without using duct tape which would just have to be cleaned off later anyway.

That's an excellent idea. Thanks, Molaker. That answers that!
Have a great weekend,
Tim Shoales

Thanks, guys. I wasn't sure if they sold some sort of cover that slipped into place or was magbetic etc. The plastic behind the cover will work great.
I came to the right place!
Thanks again,
Tim

One more small tip that I still use today.  Keep your eyes open for an old Winter cover for a swimming pool that someone throws away.  They are usually black or dark blue in color.  They are also usually heavy duty reinforced, but still thin enough to fit right in between the opening and the cover.  For the WH, I just used a utility knife and cut a small slot in the plastic for the cover hold down.  I found one years ago and cut out a half a dozen pieces large enough to do just what you are asking.  Trimmed them a couple inches larger than the opening to help remind myself to remove them in the Spring.  Then I just fold them up, put them in a Ziplock bag, store them away.  Been using the same ones year after year.  And I couldn't beat the price!

what i did was take off the vent covers and trace them on a piece of 1/4" plywood and polyurethane it ,put stock covers inside pop-up.  mice will eat the plastic and get inside

hemi1gtx said:
what i did was take off the vent covers and trace them on a piece of 1/4" plywood and polyurethane it ,put stock covers inside pop-up.  mice will eat the plastic and get inside
Not if you put the vent cover back on over the plastic.

yes they will, my vent covers have holes big enough for mice to get in to, mice can get into a dime size hole

Stuffing soft foam in the openings works, and it pulls right out when you're ready to go. Sunlight will deteriorate it eventually.

hemi1gtx said:
yes they will, my vent covers have holes big enough for mice to get in to, mice can get into a dime size hole
Oh yes, I forgot about that since I added screen wire over my vent openings...to  keep the bugs out.  Then again, on my class 'C', it would take a mouse with a lot of ingenuity to crawl along the siding to get to the vents.

Gottasmilealot said:
Stuffing soft foam in the openings works, and it pulls right out when you're ready to go. Sunlight will deteriorate it eventually.

Soft foam sounds like it would make a great bedding material for the mice in my area!

Back
Top Bottom