Woman alone. I think this is what I want....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bertnspike

I'm going to try to trade my Honda Element "even steven" for a Honda Fit or CRV, then I want to buy a Class C of 28 to 30 feet.  I think I'll have around $30,000 to spend and I know there are lots of things to think of like auxiliary brakes for the car, towing package, etc., etc.  I want to tow 4 down.  I hope to do this around this time next year.  I know I can handle all the hookups etc. alone, as I've done it before, though only over a long weekend.

I am 60 years old.  I have a huge house and its contents to unload.  I'm too young for a retirement community and to old to take care of a lot of property.  I don't have a large steady income, but I do have some.  I like to be alone and I love to travel and I love to drive and I love the back roads and quiet times.  As long as I have my computer, my dog, some coffee, and a comfortable place to sleep I can be happy.

After I sell everything and buy this rig I should have some money I can put somewhere to earn a little interest or dividends to cover unusual expenses.  I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch because I'm not working with real figures yet.  I just know I don't want to be stuck with another piece of property that I don't care about and I want to live as cheaply as possible while still traveling and enjoying myself.  I figure I can plan what to do afterward while I'm living in my RV.

Am I nuts?  What can I expect to do for around 30 grand?  Any recommendations re: make/model/year of RV?  I know there are lots of women out there doing this... what are the biggest pitfalls?  What do you wish you had done differently?

Hi there. No you are not nuts. A lot of us have done exactly the same thing. I have been living full time for the last 9 years and could never go back to living in a stick and brick. I am a 63 year old male and live with my two cats. I am having a blast touring the country and seeing the sights.

However your choice of a class C for full timing is not the best choice. A class A will have more room, even if they are the same length (the first 7 feet of a class C is essentially wasted space). It will have more options, more storage space and larger holding tanks (fresh, black and grey water). And a class A is easier to drive. Your $30k will go a lot further with a class A. This forum is full of posts from people who started in a class C and switched to a class A in a big hurry.

Here is an article I wrote for potential full timers:

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=435:fulltimeprep&catid=29:fulltiming&Itemid=45

Hi Bertnspike,

Welcome to the RV Forum.  I'm not in your situation, but I am an older female and can appreciate how you're feeling.  No, I don't think you're crazy, but it will take a little planning.  There are quite a few single females on this forum and a lot of other singles who are fulltimers so I'm sure you'll get some good replies and help.  Cleaning out a big house is a lot of work, but the end result will make it worthwhile.  Meanwhile, have fun planning.

ArdraF

seilerbird said:
However your choice of a class C for full timing is not the best choice. A class A will have more room, even if they are the same length (the first 7 feet of a class C is essentially wasted space). It will have more options, more storage space and larger holding tanks (fresh, black and grey water). And a class A is easier to drive. Your $30k will go a lot further with a class A. This forum is full of posts from people who started in a class C and switched to a class A in a big hurry.

Thank you; I've read your article numerous times!  You are not the first one to suggest an A over a C.  There are not many class A's out there that are 30 feet or less.  I also prefer not to deal with several sliders, which all A's seem to have.  I don't plan to go off road, but narrow, winding back roads are definitely on the agenda.  I don't know much about diesel & don't really care to!  Buuuut..... maybe I can keep my Element?  That 7 feet of wasted space, it seems to me, would make the class C feel more like driving a traditional vehicle, no?  And what about all that storage over the cab?

bertnspike said:
Thank you; I've read your article numerous times!  You are not the first one to suggest an A over a C.  There are not many class A's out there that are 30 feet or less.  I also prefer not to deal with several sliders, which all A's seem to have.  I don't plan to go off road, but narrow, winding back roads are definitely on the agenda.  I don't know much about diesel & don't really care to!  Buuuut..... maybe I can keep my Element?  That 7 feet of wasted space, it seems to me, would make the class C feel more like driving a traditional vehicle, no?  And what about all that storage over the cab?

There are plenty of class As under 30 feet. Mine is 27. The huge majority of class As under 30 feet are gas and not diesel. Here is eBays current listing of 280 class As between 26 and 35 feet:

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/RVs-and-Campers-/50054/i.html?Motorized%2520Sub%2520Type=Class%2520A&rt=nc&Length=26%2520%252D%252035ft&_dmpt=RVs_Campers&_fln=1&_flso=0&_fpos=95127&_fspt=0&_qfkw=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p4506.c0.m282

I lived in a 32 foot class C for a year and I currently live in a 27 foot class A. Even though the class C was 5 feet longer when I am on the inside it feels 5 feet longer than the class C. I much prefer driving the class A. You sit up higher so you have a better view of the road. You don't have that silly overhead thing so you have a much better view of the world.

But don't take my opinion or anyone else's as fact. Find out for yourself. Go to an RV dealership near you and walk through a bunch or RVs. Then test drive a few. See for yourself. Class A's have a ton of storage underneath the floor. It is called the basement. It is a much better place to store things than over the drivers head. What happens to all that stuff if you stop quickly? Not all As have slides. I hate them and don't have any on my rig. In your price range most class As will not have a slide.

There are plenty of smaller Class A's and there ought to be some in your price range.  People usually select a C because the driving area/cab is familiar, but an A of the same size is a much better rig all around, and it only takes a few days of driving to get used to the different driving position. After that, you would never go back!

Here are some examples of A's in the 25-31 foot class and under $30,000:  You can search rvt.com and rvclassified.com and fine tune your requirements, but I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

http://www.rvt.com/rvdetail4747972.htm
http://www.rvt.com/rvdetail4627732.htm
http://www.rvt.com/rvdetail4670372.htm

Before deciding on a unit - especially choosing a class A over a class C - test drive both types!  Personally, I hate driving a class A and miss our class C.  My husband loves the class A. It's a matter of taste and what you're comfortable with.  If you prefer small cars, a class A may be kind of intimidating.  But test driving will help you decide.  If you're not happy driving it, it won't matter how spacious a unit is.  Slides really aren't much of an issue, though.

I bought a class C in 2009 because the one we found had the nearly perfect floorplan for us.  I looked at a few class A's and would have bought one if we had found the just right floorplan.  Guess what I'm saying is floorplan, floorplan, floorplan.  Now that I've had a MH for a while, I think I would prefer a class A - if, once again, I could find the right floorplan.

That said, another big seller for us on the particular unit we bought was the hydraulic levers.  For someone like you, I would highly recommend them.  As it turns out, most class A's have them, most class C's do not - at least that's my impression.

Oh yes, one last thing, you will be more likely to find a class A that can tow your Element.

Very good info from all and much appreciated.  Of course, I AM going to test drive both types and visit plenty of dealers and shows.  I have a year and I am just starting out.  I would love to be able to keep my Element - it's a great car.  I know they don't recommend towing it flat (it's a 2008) but I also know that they often don't say anything about things like that because of liability.  If the Element is built on the CRV chassis and a CRV can be towed 4 down, why not the Element?  Just doesn't make a lot of sense to me and, all things considered, I'd do it.  However, I am willing to go get a CRV or Fit if I have to.

Isn't it tough to see your toad in a class A?  Is backing up even possible?

mollibee, I'm wondering if that big open cab in a class A sort of makes you feel like you're in a pinball machine.  All that glass and open space would certainly take a little getting used to.

There is a show right now at the mall - if it EVER stops raining so hard I will go to it!

Before you do anything about a Toad, make sure it will be towable otherwise you will need expensive modifications.  There are several strings in which this has been discussed so you should search to get more information

Ed

Backing with a toad more than a couple of feet is a problem.  It can be done, but not by me, anyway.  The best advice concerning this is to know your limits and try not to get into situations that might require backing.

As for seeing your toad in a class A - yes, it can be an issue.  That's why many class A's have rear view camera systems.  Even some class C's do not have a rear window and need a rear view camera.  Just something else to be aware of as you shop.

Hfx_Cdn said:
    Before you do anything about a Toad, make sure it will be towable otherwise you will need expensive modifications.  There are several strings in which this has been discussed so you should search to get more information

Ed

Well, I already have the Element and I like Honda, so there you go.  I think I'll ask this question over on the Honda Element Owner's forum too.  According to the MH magazine's PDF the FIT and CRV are towable.

Where were you 45 years ago?  :'(  I was just forced into early retirement and cannot sell the house due to the lousy economy.  I would love to sell out and travel, but DW wants nothing to do with it.  I guess I am envious of you goals,  Go for it.  There is just too much to see and do in this wonderful country of ours to let being single stop you.  There are some security issues you should maybe address, but nothing that cannot be overcome.

donn said:
Where were you 45 years ago?  :'(  I was just forced into early retirement and cannot sell the house due to the lousy economy.  I would love to sell out and travel, but DW wants nothing to do with it.  I guess I am envious of you goals,  Go for it.  There is just too much to see and do in this wonderful country of ours to let being single stop you.  There are some security issues you should maybe address, but nothing that cannot be overcome.

donn, My 35 lb. Australian cattle dog will take care of security just fine, as she has for the past 5 years.  I am her personal project, she is my velcro dog.  Being single isn't an issue for me.  It's new right now, but it won't be a problem.  Chances are pretty good that this is the real thing and it's something I've wanted for a long time.  I didn't expect to be doing it so soon and the planning of it is helping me to pass through the rough spots.

Funny about that darn real estate, hey?  5 years ago my place was worth over half a million.  Now????  Who freakin' knows?  I just want to pay the mortgage and get outta Dodge!  lol

[size=12pt]Although not single we did have a home, stuff in it, boat and other vehicles to sell before going full timing. A lot of the things we never thought would sell were sold on internet forums. So if you?re not a user you might want to look into that aspect for ?stuff? disposal.

FastEagle
[/size]

Remco Towing (the dinghy towing experts) reports that the Fit is towable using the same procedures as the CRV. It's just that Honda does not authorize it, which means there would be warranty issues if you ever had a transmission problem and still under warranty (but its an 08, right?).  Remco makes gear to modify cars for 4-down towing and we here have found Remco Towing's application lists to be accurate and reliable.

http://www.remcotowing.com/vehicles

A test drive of  a Class A is likely to be intimidating simply because the driving position and view are so different from what you are accustomed to. But it is actually a much better view of the road and surrounding traffic. It takes short while to accustom your driving reactions to the A, though.

Backing up any toad is not recommended. The tow bars are not designed for the stresses in reverse, and the car will jack-knife very quickly anyway due to the caster angle of the front wheels. You can usually back a few feet very carefully, but not much more for most cars.

Nearly all class A's have rear cameras as standard equipment, and excellent side view mirrors (and sometimes cameras) as well. The mirrors on an A are larger and better positioned than the van-like mirrors of a C.

A Class A will have a larger weight carrying capacity than a similar size C and generally can tow more weight as well. That 's because the van chassis of a C is maxed out at around 14,000 lbs gross weight, whereas the custom design motorhome chassis in an A starts at around 17,000 lbs (and most are 20k-26k lbs). A 30 foot C is pretty much at the extreme limit for a van chassis it is built on.

There are lots of reasons that an A is superior to a C if you are talking 26 feet and up - I've explained only some of them above.

Talking about visibility, one of the "extras" we have on our class A that I love is (in addition to a rear camera) side cameras.  Even with mirrors, you get blind spots where you can't spot a car that is right next to you.  On ours, when you turn on your turn signal, a camera that is "car level" is activated.  It shoots down the side of the MH and eliminates the blind spot before you change lanes.  If you get a class A, this is a great extra to look for or add.

I'm a woman, age 65 and I travel with my mentally challenged daughter, though this year has been a problem.  With her illness and the horrible summer not much got done.  At month end I'm taking off again for awhile. My husband works overseas and is not home much, but even when he is I doubt he goes with us.  He likes to work on the motorhomes more then he likes to travel. Of course I can see why, he has been all over the world the last 10 years.

I am one that just had to have a class C, I was scared to death to even drive it.  I hated the thing, sorry, not wanting to offend anyone.  I didn't have a toad, but I couldn't see, the visibility is pretty bad.  I felt claustrophobic because of that hanging cabover.  Honestly get one if you want but living in it full time and with the lack of storage I don't think you will like it for long.  In fact it was just months before ours was sold.  Hubby worried because it was to old, I just didn't like it.

So then came my current class A, a 29 ft Winnebago with 2 slides.  It takes me about 20 minutes to set up.  Stop, push buttons to level it.  Then push buttons to put out the living room slide, then another to  put out the bedroom slide.  I usually hook up my water and sewer and cable first though or you are hunching under a slide to do so.  I didn't want to tow anything at first but hubby wanted me to have a tow car.  It is way easier then I thought.  This one has tons of storage under it.  A single could live in it nicely.

But my saga continues.  I wanted a W/D and something heavier so this week we bought a diesel pusher, a 38 footer, I don't know if I can handle it and the air brakes and all so we bought old again.  Here we are back to old again a 1992, I do not recommend something that old being single, I would at least get a 2005 like my gas Class A.  But I have a husband that likes projects to well and he can fix about anything. One this old has no slides which I will miss, I think, but a lot more room then I ever visualized. It has an automatic leveling system which I think will be great.  This one has things he wants to do to it and also check all over to make sure its ok being so old for me to take alone.  We just got it a few days ago and he has way to much to do with other projects around here to get it all done so I know I will be waiting on it, sigh.  But I hope to take it out in the spring, we shall see.  I might take it to a shop and have the fluids and filters changed, just some things like that to help, sort of nudge him along, we shall see. ;)

We are thinking once I see if I like it to sell both of those and get me a newer diesel pusher.  Kind of expensive to do it this way I guess but it could be awful expensive to spend 100 grand and then find out I can't do it and I would have no motorhome at all to use for awhile, not going there.

I really enjoy it, but with a garden, chickens, and rentals to look after I'm not able to get away like I want to.  I'm going to just have to say forget some of this stuff and go.

We have discussed what to do if one of us "goes" first.  I would likely have to stay in this house even though it would be to big, but its very cheap to live where I am.  And I'm sure hubby would stay, having our daughter reduces some of our choices, but that's ok, we will take care of her. But me, I will travel long as I'm able to do so safely. 

I traveled before I got a motorhome and will after I can't drive one.  We also love cruises and guided tours.

Back
Top Bottom