Seeking to buy property in Tn for rv get away but need some advice please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Willie1971

Hello all.

I am a active duty military troop with about 15 years in the service.

I would like to buy 30 or more acres of land in the forest s of TN.

My thoughts are to pay this off now while I am able to work so when I retire I have something.

Problem is I need some advice on what part of the state to focus in on.

I am pretty flexible. I want to be no more than an hour from a large city and I don't want to live in a subdivision on a mountain side.  I just want to buy a chunk of land and do what I want with it.

I know that's a very vague question I asked but if anyone has any experiences in TN id love to hear from you.

Thx

Good thoughts thanks.

I think this is something I will have to just do a lot of research on. 

Lucky I have a motor home to boondock in while I drive aimlessly. lol

I am surprised that someone that used live in Tn hasn't chimed in with their favorite area.  I know we have a lot of experience in here and I would love to hear some thoughts.  I guess everyone goes further south.

try in the Crossville, and Cookeville area, these are on the Plateau and I-40.  North East Tenn, around Greenville is quiet and people leave you alone.

Before you put out any cash check carefully with local zoning requirements for restrictions on RV sites.

As a retired military myself here is what I would do. 

Nothing.
You have a min of 5 years left.  A lot can happen in 5 years.
Maybe you'll find a better place.
Maybe you'll decide you want to space A around and want to be near a major pax hub.
Check out the local paper (on line) at least a year to find out what the area offers and or what problems. (every place has some problems)
If you are like most of us when you do retire, you'll have to make it on 1/2 of what your making now.
Which isn't that hard if you have everything paid off.  (cars are killers on the back pocket) and they have to be replaced.
You have been stationed all around and just want to settle down and move when you want to, not when told. 
Travel all over for the first 3 years.  I bet you'll find someplace better.  either taxes, job, schools etc...  There is always some place better and you have to find that out for yourself.  Take your time and see the country (not just bases) on your own schedule.  The last 3 years I found the hardest.  You can't get retirement out of your mind, everyday. I loved the service and I also loved getting out.
Just my thoughts

Well said, Path.  You've outlined very serious reasons why NOT to just settle down.  Unless you have family, some new enterprise to begin, or some specific reason to settle immediately after retirement for the rest of your life, take your time. 
For us the first thought was, Gee, we never have to move again.  How wonderful!  But after four years in one place, we both unconsciously, without saying it to the other person, got the itch, and wished we could see something different again.  This was many years before we became involved with RVs.  And because by then there were so many commitments made, we could not just pull up stakes and move on.

You really can't be sure of the place you want until you have seen it all, and you have not seen it all by any means, even by being in the military, because while serving, you are still pretty confined to the military outlook on life and surroundings.  We ended up a continent away from where we first settled down.  Most of our family is still back there, but we are so much happier where we are that there will be no going back for us.

Just my 2c worth  ;D

Daisy

Great advice path and daisy.  Thx..

For me though there is the nagging feeling that I should get something now and get that sucker paid off while I can work.  Been looking at land in Colorado and tn.  I vacationed in Colorado bunches and just love it.  I also like the privacy of the mountains in tn.  I will look at areas that others mentioned above.

Thanks for your thoughts.  They were well received.

Willie

Willi1971:

You did not day say how old you were...... have to believe in range of 40 to 50 at retirement.
Retirement..... can't wait... wow!  Nothing to do..... all right!

Please...., put working somewhere in your plans...... unless you are to inherit money in future, inflation will make you real poor soon. Retirement without money is no fun for most.
just another point of view.
Good luck in life!
Oh to plan to plan..., to dream to dream, life's a trip!

sundance3200 said:
try in the Crossville, and Cookeville area, these are on the Plateau and I-40.  North East Tenn, around Greenville is quiet and people leave you alone.

X2. Cookeville has a nice VA clinic and is a real nice area. We have thought about settling there when we come off the road(fulltimers).

Mr Bojangles said:
Willi1971:

You did not day say how old you were...... have to believe in range of 40 to 50 at retirement.
Retirement..... can't wait... wow!  Nothing to do..... all right!

Please...., put working somewhere in your plans...... unless you are to inherit money in future, inflation will make you real poor soon. Retirement without money is no fun for most.
just another point of view.
Good luck in life!
Oh to plan to plan..., to dream to dream, life's a trip!

Well I am 41 now.  I just wanted something that I could pay off while I was working and be done with it.  I am going up to TN this summer and my wife and I decided to stop in some off the beaten paths when we get a good vibe on an area.  I bet with the economy/ housing down now we could find something at a good value.

Thx for your input.

Land Watch has all kinds of gorgeous tracts all over the US, check it out.

I wouldn't buy so far out either, you never know what can happen to the area and you have a long time to go yet. 

Looking around is fine and fun, but buying something, I would likely wait.

It's like I have 25 acres back home that my folks had.  I thought maybe we might go back and build there someday.  Well wouldn't you know what moved in but strip mines.  My farmer and my neighbors would not sell, they wanted to keep farming but not even half a mile north of us its all changed.  They do have to reclaim it but its not the same.  And I'm not sure about water now.  My farmer will buy the land at a great price but I hesitate to sell it too.  But would I want to live there now, I doubt it.

I just wanted something that I could pay off while I was working and be done with it.

Or start setting aside money now and let it collect interest until you retire.  Then pull it out when you find something you really like and pay for it in full.

Before you put out any cash check carefully with local zoning requirements for restrictions on RV sites.

Not only would you have to worry about zoning now but what about when you are ready to move onto the land? DW and I tried to buy some land close to the grandkids in a couple of different states to set up as our own little rv pads so that when we visited we would always have a place to stay. TN was one of the states we looked at. We found that, unlike IN, the other state, there were many areas in East TN where there was no or limited zoning and it would be possible to put an rv there. Unfortunately, most of the land where zoning allowed this was so far up in the hills or so isolated and far from anything, even getting a decent sized rv there would be a problem. In IN, no land was available within 150 miles where living in an rv was allowed. The earlier advice to save the money and buy when you need the land is sound. Life changes and to be stuck with property that no longer fits your plans can be a an unneeded complication. Cash is always good  to have. It buys freedom.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom