Generator Oil Change Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wolf Pack Fan

Just looking for feedback from all. Our motorhome has an Onan Marquis 7000 generator. Since tailgating season is upon us, it'll be getting a fair amount of use. It's approaching 150 hours now and has been changed once by the dealer. I can't find the book that recommends the oil change intervals or what type of oil to use, so I thought I'd post here. I know a lot of folks should have some good info.

I was thinking of using a mile a minute rule or 60 mph. With this, 150 hours would equal = 9000 miles and changing every 50 hours would compare to changing a car every 3000. The gen is not seeing heavy loads during this time of the year. No ac use, just intermitent microwave and tv.

Change interval ? Best practices.
Brand of oil ? Personal preference. I like Amsoil but not the price.
Onan filter or after market ?
Type of oil ? full syn, para syn, regular.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

You can download an operator manual for the Onan 7000 here:
http://www.cumminsonan.com/rv/products/gasoline/compare?gensetId=136&detail=true

Onan recommends their own "Onemax" oil, which is a 15W40 viscosity and suitable for use from 10F. to 100F, but they also suggest plain 30 weight as long as temps stay above 32F. . Oil should meet the API spec SH, SG or SJ.  See page 6 of the operator manual

Changes every 150 hours or yearly, whichever comes first.

For what it's worth, I change mine about every 75-100 hours.  My onan manual (Emerald Plus 5500 watt) says 100 hours is recommended.  I use Onan parts.  I use straight 30 weight oil in the summer at 10w-30 at the last change in the fall.

AndyinLexington said:
For what it's worth, I change mine about every 75-100 hours.  My onan manual (Emerald Plus 5500 watt) says 100 hours is recommended.  I use Onan parts.  I use straight 30 weight oil in the summer at 10w-30 at the last change in the fall.

Andy

I believe the OP has a diesel generator and yours is a gas model. Different maintenance programs.

Make sure you have a full tank of gas, if you get down to 1/4 on the gas gauge, the generator may not run.

I just changed the oil in my Onan4000 and used Mobil 1 synthetic. Anyone have any problems using that oil? I have used in my Honda eu's for years without problem.

Wolf Pack Fan said:
Onan filter or after market ?
Type of oil ? full syn, para syn, regular.

Thanks in advance for all replies.

I use my onan 10kw steady...Onan filters(Kubota actually lol) are a rip off ...I've switched to Fleetguard (you can buy off any Cummins) ...about $8 each. I use Walmart house brand 10-30 oil, same specs as any other but 40% cheaper. Also don't forget the air filter and fuel filter!!

You'll need to clean the spark arrestor as well every couple years.

I use Walmart house brand 10-30 oil, same specs as any other but 40% cheaper.

Then you might as well get your filter there, too.  I've been using Fram PH3614 on my Briggs and Stratton V-twin lawnmower for years.  My Generac uses the same engine (or a damn close clone) and the same filter works there, too.

I also use Fram filters (or the WM store brand) for my Onan, and Farm & Fleet was the store to first look up my generator and tell me the matching Onan replacement.  However I found that the factory filter (which mounts sideways in the generator) was sized in a way that it ended up flush with the generator body and was nearly impossible to loosen and remove.  So this year when I changed the Onan oil/filter (I rarely use mine so it just gets the annual change) I matched the filter diameter and threading and picked a WM store brand that was just a tad longer than the original.  It will give it a little more filtering volume but was substantially easier to get on and off.

I have had bad experiences with Fram. I know of 2 instances where the filter media has come apart and destroyed engine in one and blocked oil passages in another. There was some test done by an independent website but were threatened by manufacture's so had to shut down site. Fram and Champion were on the bottom of the list with Delco next to the top. Just thought I would pass this on.

I'm thinking of going with a K&N filter, if they make one that fits properly.  They cost a little more, but they're good quality.  I used to be a big fan of Hastings filters, many years ago.  They manufactured the filters for Amsoil back when I was a dealer.  They didn't use a pleated paper filter media, which basically only filters at the V in the pleats.  The Hastings and Amsoil version had a fibrous media that filters the full length of the media.

I corresponded briefly with K&N recently and asked about country of origin and if they made their own oil filters or contracted out. I got in return a generic answer stating that their filters were made to their exacting specifications...means made in China I suppose.

catblaster said:
I corresponded briefly with K&N recently and asked about country of origin and if they made their own oil filters or contracted out. I got in return a generic answer stating that their filters were made to their exacting specifications...means made in China I suppose.

Yeah, you're probably right that they're made in China.  They're answer sounds like the kind of answer you'd get from a politician.  They still have good products though and as far as their air filters go, they save money by a long shot of disposable paper filters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom