Diesel vs Propane Generators ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hrow

Just starting the RV learning process with an eye on a 24 - 28 foot diesel. In all likelihood I will end up with something like a Winnebago View or Thor Avanti (other ideas warmly welcomed).

It seems that the generators are available as either diesel or LP (gas as well, but that makes no sense in a diesel RV) and was wondering what the advantages and downsides of either might be. With LP I am wondering how long the 13 gal capacity on the View will last as it doesn't seem like that big a tank. Same problem for diesel though. With only a 26 gal fuel tank I can imagine running into range limits in some of the more remote places I would like to go if I also need that tank to run the geni.  Your thoughts would be appreciated.

We have a diesel pusher with a diesel generator and it makes sense to me to have them share a fuel source, notwithstanding the design limit that will not allow the diesel generator to source fuel when the tank is less than 1/4 full. Ask me how I proved that.  8)

For me, that's a 100 gallon fuel tank, so the math problem is solved knowing the generator will take something less than .75 gal an hour at full load to run.

Many variables here, which include your limited fuel supply, the number of hours you need your generator, and the load you put on it.

Since mine came the way it did, I had no decision to make, and I cannot to speak to LP generators as better or worse from experience. Most of this is just a math problem, but I feel sure some LP folks will share their experiences. In my logical mind, I would think it easier to acquire diesel than LP way out in the boonies, but I could be way off base there. You can always jerrycan a solution for a diesel, but I suppose you could portable tank a solution for LP.

Informed minds will prevail.

We figure half a gallon per hour for our 10 kw diesel generator so the fuel they use is really negligible.  Based on previous threads here in the forum the biggest issue with propane generators is their noise.  The newer diesel generators are amazingly quiet.  Also, even though most of us have propane on board, diesel is a safer fuel so why add another propane product if it's not necessary.  I'd choose diesel anytime.

ArdraF

Don't know the exact numbers but the propane generator can go through that tank in a very short period of time. I have one and wish I had the diesel.

That's what I was afraid of. I hope to be spending a lot of time in wilderness areas and am concerned about the limited energy capacities of the View line. Also looking at the Avanti but its a lot more and the extra length isn't a plus at some of Canada's national park campgrounds where a 27' max seems common. 

To me it is a no brainer.  Diesel in a diesel is the only way to go.  At least that way you can carry an extra five or ten gallons of diesel fuel with you if you were worried about running short.  Using propane could get hard to find in some locations.  Plus the fact propane generators are notoriously fuel hungry.

The trouble with LP is when you run out you are screwed.  I would rather have a gas genny than LP unless you could rig the genny to run on 20lb BBq tanks.
I have a 7.5kw diesel and LOVE it.  I had the genny running for a full 24 hours this summer and had up to THREE AC units running/frig/outside lights etc and used just over 1 Litre/hour (<1/3 gallon).  The AC was running almost the entire time...at least 2 units anyway.
You could dry camp for weeks on a full tank of fuel.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom