Another fulltime health insurance question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hamilton2010

My husband and I are going to begin fulltiming next year and we are going to be based out of South Dakota.  I'm looking for input on health insurance and I have read through many of the existing articles.  I'm 28 and he?s 37 so we?re a long way from AARP or Medicare.  I was looking into Blue Cross Blue Shield but read that they won?t allow an account if you don?t have a street address.  We will only have a PO Box like many others.  I?m now looking into Assurant Health and United Healthcare.  Does anyone out there have a nationwide coverage plan through either of these companies?  If so, what are your thoughts?  Or do you have any other suggestions for a good company we can get nationwide service with in South Dakota?

I know this topic has been covered many times and appreciate any new input!  Thanks!

If you are full timing you should not be using a PO Box. You should use a mail forwarding service, then you will have a real street address.

We used Assurant (1 year for me, 2 for Sue) until we were eligible for Medicare) and had an $11,000 premium with $5000 dollar deductibles with exclusions or larger deductibles for everything mentioned in the health history on our applications.

Never had a claim but also couldn't find anything else that wasn't a HMO with limited coverage outside eastern SD.

We use mydakotaaddress.com, in Madison, SD, rather than the Post Office. We had no problem using that address with insurance. If you call Terri perhaps she can help you in your search. She is extremely helpful on most anything you need done. (Phone # on that web site.)

Thanks so much for everyone's input!

I had just started looking into mail forwarding services and didn't realize they provided a street address.  I'll take a look at mydakotaaddress.com. 

We also use a PMB, Alternative Resources in Sioux Falls,  with AARP (United HealthCare).

I think some are considered as street addresses for voting purposes and some aren't. Check with the individual service and registrar.

I'm glad to find this thread.  We will be looking for coverage when our employer plan goes to full COBRA payments in February.  :-\

How do you all find a company to work with in South Dakota?  I've checked ehealthinsurance.com for starters, and found no coverage for Lake County (Madison).  I'm not sure how to start digging in.  Should I talk to the Terri you all reference?

Blue Cross Blue Shield has a database that identifies many- maybe all - mail forwarding services street addresses as  a commercial address and not acceptable. They also require that you be in the state for six months each year. We ran into that in NH before we moved to SD.
In NH we were able to use our daughter's address and we rented a seasonal site we used when we were in NH in the summers, so we were able to keep our BC/BS policy.

When we moved to SD that was no longer possible and we went with a high deductible Assurant policy. We had no claims so don't know how they are on that front.

We are now both on Medicare with a United Health Care medi-gap  policy. We have had claims in several states with no problems.

Back
Top Bottom