2 bench seat towable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chrishibbard7

My daily commute vehicle is getting closer to death and I'm considering replacing it with something I could tow and fit my family of 6 into.  Anyone know of any fairly lightweight, low-ish gas mileage vehicle I should consider?  6 seats belts means a 2-bench vehicle, (don't want to tow something large and gassy as a 3-row SUV or van) but bench seats are  pretty rare out there these days, it seems.
My RV can pull much heavier than I am willing to tow, and style is of no concern.
Any suggestions?
thanks.

You are going to need a full size sedan or mid size suv to seat six comfortably. As you say, a full width front bench is rare in anything less than a full size pick up. Are you looking new or used?

new or used. 

Not too worried about comfort in the back seat: my kids are skinny :)  Would need to seat a 3rd person up front tho. 
thanks.

Agree with Roy - you are going to want a fairly large vehicle to get seating for three adults in the front, though. The smaller sedans and SUVs lack width in the front seat - they are really designed for two people up front.

There are very few 6 passenger sedans left on the market. If you are using a tow dolly, check out the Chevy Impala. 30-35 MPG highway depending on how you drive. Very comfortable and dependable for many thousands of miles.

Why not consider a mid size SUV with 3rd row seating suchas the Dodge Journey.  Probably have to order the third row as an option.

The Chevy Impala as John mentioned has the bench seat option as well as the Buick Lucerne. My understanding is the bench is listed as an option on those from $200 to $300 so not sure if that would be something you could readily find in stock or have to order.

Most Chevy dealers stock 6 passenger Impalas. Frequently, they will have low mileage lease turn ins or cars they buy from daily rental service. These (daily rentals) are well cared for and will save you substantial money.

The pre-Five Hundred (I think built until 2006) Taurus & Sable offer 3-passenger seating in front.  If the car has a column shifter, it should seat six.

If a pick up would work, take a look at the Dodge Ram 1500 work truck.  Can get it with a 60/40 bench up front and a bench in the real, complete with doors all around. 

A friend of mine just bought a Ford Taurus X - it's the crossover/wagon, whatever you want to call it. Buckets up front and in the rear but it has a 3rd row for 2 more bodies. I don't know if it's towable but it is a nice vehicle. His is AWD but they make regular FWD, too.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom