WiFi Shootout - CTR35 vs. Wifi Ranger vs. Pepwave Surf Mini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

3Gstore_Matt

I'm happy to report that I've finally got a direct comparison of the WAW (WiFi as WAN) feature on all the entry level models! I figured this information may be useful if you're on the fence about any new purchases and which model would work best for the WAW feature.

You can read my full review here - WiFi as WAN Shootout: CTR35 vs. WiFi Ranger vs. Pepwave Surf Mini

I also did a live video to show there were no special tricks when comparing the units:

Click: WiFi Shootout Video: CTR35 vs. Wifi Ranger vs. Pepwave Surf Mini

Hope you guys enjoy!

Matt

I am confused by your test. If you are testing the WFR, shouldn't you be comparing it to the CradlePoint MBR95? They are about the same price and size, with similar form factors and, having used both, found the MBR95 easier to work with and with more user feedback and contol. I also found the WAW and failover to work better on the MBR95. The results for the Pepwave aren't really comparable since it isn't designed to do the same things as the other models

BernieD said:
Matt

I am confused by your test. If you are testing the WFR, shouldn't you be comparing it to the CradlePoint MBR95? They are about the same price and size, with similar form factors and, having used both, found the MBR95 easier to work with and with more user feedback and contol. I also found the WAW and failover to work better on the MBR95. The results for the Pepwave aren't really comparable since it isn't designed to do the same things as the other models

I was comparing the entry level WiFi as WAN products, which would be the CTR35 at $79.99 currently, WiFI Ranger at $99.99 currently and Pepwave Surf Mini at $99.99 currently. The feature set on each of the models are slightly different, which I do try to explain within the review. It will ultimately depend on what features you really want in the end, but those are the three cheapest solutions available from different manufactures.

The goal wasn't to compare all model features, just the WiFi as WAN connectivity. 

Personally, I have no use for the Wifi as WAN feature. My main/only use of the device is to plug in an air card. I never drive the coach to a Starbucks, and I doubt any Starbucks parking lot would accommodate our coach. But, I knew there was a reason I kept the CTR35 after upgrading to the MBR95 (because the CTR35 wasn't compatible with my newer air card).

Back to the original topic.... I appreciated Matt posting the links, and especially appreciated the video - so I could better understand what was going on. However, I was expecting something else when I read the subject line "shootout"? This really was not a comparison of "performance" per se, but more a comparison of ability to see/detect various networks, and this is reinforced in the video and article as antenna gain/efficiency. Performance suggests something more.

Matt,
Just to change the subject a little; I currently use a '350 and ran into the situation that I have to use Explorer to gain initial access (not secure). I use Firefox normally and it took a minute (actually a couple of weeks) to figure out why my password (from the back of the modem) was rejected every time. This happened on two computers.
Ernie

Ernie n Tara said:
Matt,
Just to change the subject a little; I currently use a '350 and ran into the situation that I have to use Explorer to gain initial access (not secure). I use Firefox normally and it took a minute (actually a couple of weeks) to figure out why my password (from the back of the modem) was rejected every time. This happened on two computers.
Ernie

Not sure what's going on with your 350. You can go into the admin console at http://192.168.0.1 and enter the last 6 characters of your Mac address (Connect via Ethernet), go into the "Tools" tab and select "User Login" from the sub menu on the left. You may want to verify the password that you have entered in there or disable the feature so you don't have to enter a password when joining via WiFi.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlm611
Back
Top Bottom