Sidewall bulge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blissful7

We own a 1997 Holiday Rambler that has just developed sidewall bulging in the Master Bedroom area just below the windows. My husband feels it is a water problem and since he is a do-it-yourself-er is planning on repairing the supposed damage.

Is this a reasonable thing to do? He feels he can remove the damaged wall below the window. Replace insulation and install some type of bead board that we could paint in a coordinating paint plus seal around the area of the windows.

Has anyone had this problem and has done this type of repair?

Thanks for any help.... :)

Be sure to locate the source of the water when you have the wall apart.  There is no plumbing in the walls back there so it's probably coming in from the roof.

Forum member Robert helped a friend fix a sidewall problem on his 5th wheel. In that case, it was the outer wall, but there may be some tips there for you. Click on the Library button above, select Tech topics and click on Fifthwheel sidewall repair for the illustrated story of the repair. Click on the small images in the article to see larger versions of the photos.

Any chance we could get you to take before, during and after photos of your repair and maybe make a few notes of what was done? They could help other folks in the future.

Thanks.

Like Ned said, make sure you find the source of the leak before replacing the panels.  Ned said it could be roof, but it could also be right at the window.  Check for any distortion or damage above the window.  If none there, I would be more suspicious of the window installation.  Once open, check for any rotten wood and replace it if you can before re-insulating.  You might be able to match the paneling.  If it is not something common at a lumber yard, then contact the manufacturer of the rig and they might give you a vendor who made it, or they might even have an old piece.  Do not proceed with closing up the inside until you have hosed down the entire area to make sure you corrected the leak. 

Good point about the window, Ron.  I should have thought of that.  The 97 Endeavor doesn't have paneling, it has wallpaper, and it's ugly IMO :)  I think I'd replace it with wood paneling if I had to tear out the wall anyway.

In addition to fixing the currently affected area he might want to consider checking the seals on ALL the windows. They are not really that difficult to re-seal, but easier if a two person job. Also, as stated above, check all the roof seams for possible leaks before doing the repair.

Back
Top Bottom