seriously considering converting shower to storage...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carson said:
On a little sidepoint... not a thread drift.

Jack Russels... There was a case here in Florida last week where a Sheriff deputy shot and killed a little feller.

He, the deputy, approached the home with 2 Russels. One was a wimp, the other a warrior. The warrior broke thru the screen door and tried to have lunch on the Deputy's  leg. Bang.

What can I say.  :( :'(

Carson FL

And how is this not thread-drift, Carson ??

Bruce Patterson said:
Ardra, boy, am I with you on this one.  Since I've been married to a Brazilian, I've become accustomed to taking a minimum of two showers a day (I take up to 5 or 6 when in Brazil), and our trailer has a 3/4 size bathtub.  Don't take baths very often, but the extra room is nice when we decide to shower together.  Remember the 60's?  When I get up in the morning, first thing I do is start the coffee and get right int the shower.  I can't imagine using the campground showers.  Many places I've stayed don't have them anyway.

Hmm, You have piqued my curiosity. Not sure I understand the connection between being Brazilian or married to a Brazilian and taking multiple showers per day. What am I missing here?

One "con" would be when you are selling your RV. If you are trading the dealer is going to need to make it a shower again since the vast majority of buyers want one. They will deduct that cost when figuring the trade value so it will cost you money. The best of both worlds might be the temporary option which could be easily removed (back to a shower) when it is time to sell.

Oh my goodness if Sue Anne and I did not shower daily we couldn't stand each other!

In the summer when working out in the heat hubby and I are known to change clothes a couple of times a dat and step into the shower at home to freshen up.  Here in Houston we get drenched working outside.

One of the reasons I got the bigger motorhome was for the w/d and the other, well there were others too, but another reason is Sue Anne saw the bathtub and said that's for her.  It's a pretty nice size. 

I'm not crazy about our bedroom storage, the Winnebago has more.  But I told DD we will put some clothes in storage boxes under the motorhome and when traveling we can rotate stuff and therefore not have the closet jammed.  I can now label boxes and store some jackets, umbrellas and things we only use sporadically. I think I will dedicate certain clothes to the motorhome period and not drag them in and out just as I do other items.

Also I do not like public bathrooms or showers I have never used the shower facilities in a campground we use our own.  During the day , kitties food and water is in the shower.  The diesel has a cat door in the bathroom door but I may have to get her a smaller litter box for in there.  Think I will also get her a smaller food dish and water bowl.  She hides and rides under the couch in the Winnie, don't think this has a spot for her, not sure where she will go.  Will have to do something for her.

It must be very tight for 2 kids and 2 adults and I'm sure its hard to store needed items.  Hope you can work something out for space.

wgb1 said:
Hmm, You have piqued my curiosity. Not sure I understand the connection between being Brazilian or married to a Brazilian and taking multiple showers per day. What am I missing here?

Not sure what you are missing.  You tell me.  Brazilians are big on hygiene.  In the Amazon it is hot and humid, so we take lots of showers.  I sometimes take up to 5 per day.  Now I'm in Las Vegas, so I'm down to two per day.  One when I get off work and one when I get up. 

carson said:
On a little sidepoint... not a thread drift.

Jack Russels... There was a case here in Florida last week where a Sheriff deputy shot and killed a little feller.

He, the deputy, approached the home with 2 Russels. One was a wimp, the other a warrior. The warrior broke thru the screen door and tried to have lunch on the Deputy's  leg. Bang.

What can I say.  :( :'(

Carson FL

Seriously??? What, where, I'm confused...this is definitely off the thread!

Edit: Fix quote

I know I am late to this discussion, but we just purchased a new to us Travel trailer, and we do use the shower/tub as a closet.  I hung a tension rod over the shower enclosure, then hung an organizer (purchased in the closet section of walmart) over it.  we put tp, towels, extra bath supplies in it. Under it we have two small baskets that are plastic and we have our toilet treatment type supplies and shower supplies (that we take to the shower house at the campground).  Also have command hooks stuck to wall of the shower to hang mop and broom.  The shower curtain hides it all when pulled closed. 

We have a very small, 17', travel trailer. It has a wet bathroom that we do use if we have to. Like when we are on the road and stop at a rest stop, Walmart, truckstop. When at a CG we use their facilities except in the middle of the night. I don't think we will convert our BR into storage. I have put up shelves, 10" boards that span the width of the trailer and sit atop the window valances above the queen size bed and the dinette. I have looked at larger trailers, which would require a larger truck. More money. We have fun in our little trailer. I am thinking of getting one of those tents that attach to an easy up, which we have. We could use that for a place to sit out of the weather and to store the stuff we carry in the trailer that gets in the way when we are parked.

Our first trailer was a 25 foot TT with no slides.  It seemed big coming from a truck camper.  We used the shower daily and prefer not to use campground showers.  I found extra storage all over the place.  The closet in the bathroom had a raised floor in it.  Under that floor was the water heater taking up less than half of that space.  I took the floor out and cut it in half and added a brace and made it a pull up panel.  We kept all of our spare paper goods in there..plates, napkins, paper towels, TP, I even had a pair of boots in there.  Under the sofa was a water tank.  It had a lot of space on each side and we used that space for plastic bags of folded clothes like T shirts, pull over shirts, socks, extra bath towels, etc.  The area where the power cord fed into the trailer was about 3 times as big as it needed to be for the cord.  I added a small inside door into that area and walled off a smaller area inside for the power cord to feed into.  The rest of the area was used to store stuff.  There was storage under the booth cushions.  You had to take the cushions off and pull up the boards to get in there.  I added doors to the outside of the booth ends inside the trailer and made one side a slide out storage bin for canned foods and a slide out shelf over the top of the cans.  The other under booth seat storage had an outside hatch.  That made for a long reach under the booth seat.  I put a partition in the middle and had storage accessed from the inside or outside.  There was some dead space between the entry door and the back of the booth.  I made a bookcase that rested on the floor and attached to the back of the booth.  It was amazing how much unused areas that we found and modified for storage.  I installed magazine/book holders on the wall at the end of each booth seat.  My DW even made throw pillows for the sofa and booth seats with zippers.  No filling inside the pillows, we filled them with clothing items, dish towels, gloves, sweaters, etc.  The shower....was always ready for taking showers!!  We had found so much extra space that I took the loaded trailer to be weighed again to make sure we were below gross weight...we were well within.

If you are going to use the shower for storage...if it is a rear bath make sure you don't put hard things in there that will bounce while driving and break or punch holes in the shower floor.  A friend made that mistake. 

Well as I see it, you answered your own question don't take showers use it as storage. Problem solved.

ArdraF-- I'm with you, too.  Our budget Fiesta has a nice size shower.  Much more convenient than hauling towels, soap, etc. to the campground shower.
Another one for DW is dish washer.

I haven't seen any posts stating the obvious, take only the stuff you and the kids actually need. Unless you are out for a week or more at a time why are there duffle bags of stuff? Most CG's either have laundry or one is nearby. And, most importantly, make dad and the kids assist with the laundry. It helps when there are more people doing a job.
RichH

aguablanco said:
I haven't seen any posts stating the obvious, take only the stuff you and the kids actually need. Unless you are out for a week or more at a time why are there duffle bags of stuff? Most CG's either have laundry or one is nearby. And, most importantly, make dad and the kids assist with the laundry. It helps when there are more people doing a job.
RichH

I think they are in the MH for an extended time.

I'm in the process of renovating a mid-60s 14' TT. All the plumbing has been removed by a previous owner, and there is enough water damage and half-arsed "repairs" and "modifications" that we're planning on gutting it to the studs (inside and out) and rebuilding. The beds/seating, kitchenette, and a/c locations are planned out just fine.

The shower is about 3'x2'. We don't plan on using it, and I get annoyed with how small shower are in houses, so I'd likely never use it (I'm 6'4"). We've been tent campers for years and have no problems using the on site showers. If anything, I'll add a shower to the outside, with mounts for a removable curtain (great for rinsing off bodies and chairs after beach trips). I'm not too concerned with resale value, since it's currently one foot in the scrap yard, and we're fixing it up to our personal tastes, and not tripping to flip it for a profit. Also less plumbing and not worrying about interior waterproofing would nice.

That said, we've never had a camper, and I'm not yet sure how to utilize the extra space. It seems from the comments here that everyone likes more storage. Is there a "best" method? Open shelves? Cabinets? A closet? Since I'm starting from scratch, we can go any way with it, I just don't have enough experience to have a preference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom