EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: seriously considering converting shower to storage...  (Read 13754 times)

jrabbit

• ---
    • pjamz5
seriously considering converting shower to storage...
« on: October 15, 2011, 12:27:34 AM »

> has anyone ever done this?  pros or cons?
>
> we only use the shower for shoving stuff and dirty laundry.  it is fairly large compared to the ones in the rentals we had before that we also never used.  (well, I used it maybe twice). I don't shower often, nor do the kids, and hubby would rather use camp showers.  we do not boondock, and I don't know if or when we would.
>
> the primary complaint right now is visible storage.  I think we are all guilty of overpacking because we can't see or find what we have.  we are not over the towing weight, but I sincerely think better storage would improve our social interactions in the tiny space!
>
> as I type this, my feet are propped up on duffle bags of clothes on the floor under table, there are baskets of breakfast food and sandwich bread on the table, and the shower is stacked with laundry baskets of dirty laundry, rugs, and school supplies (which topple when we drive, so I am constantly rearranging and bracing things).
>
> we will be renting a house for a month in Calgary before we head out in the RV again, so I would like to try to do some improvements, if possible. 
>
> thanks,
> --janis
>
--janis
Hippie Wife and Mom of 3

2015 Ford F-350
2010 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 345-DBQ
2003 VW diesel Jetta
Photos: https://philhyde.smugmug.com/RV

Molaker

• ---
  • We don't camp. We tour.
    • Pumpkin and Us
Re: seriously considering converting shower to storage...
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 08:02:02 AM »
We use our shower much the same, although I use it for showering often enough that I would miss it (and so would those around me :) ).  If your storage needs are that great, perhaps you might want to consider towing a small box trailer or adding a hitch mounted cargo box.
Tom & Joyce and Ditto the "don't tell her she's a dog" Westie
U.S. Navy (Ret)
2014 Winnebago ERA 70X 24' class B Sprinter chassis

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2011, 09:16:07 AM »
Stick some easily removable storage racks or containers in the shower and give it a try. One thing that might work for you are stackable drawer units, maybe something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Stack-Drawer-X-Large-White-20-75/dp/B000N29K4C

They are inexpensive, you can add as many as you like and the drawers make for easy access while keeping things neat. I see these in 3 or 4 drawer sets, or individual units as in the link above.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

deal

• ---
  • Canadian (GTA)
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2011, 10:44:01 AM »
Stick some easily removable storage racks or containers in the shower and give it a try. One thing that might work for you are stackable drawer units, maybe something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Stack-Drawer-X-Large-White-20-75/dp/B000N29K4C

They are inexpensive, you can add as many as you like and the drawers make for easy access while keeping things neat. I see these in 3 or 4 drawer sets, or individual units as in the link above.

^^^This

I did exactly that. The kids clothes and the laundry all 'belong' in the shower in their proper drawer. If one of us wants to use the shower I can move those drawers onto the rear bed and make it available. We normally use the campsite provided showers.
July 2010 - purchased first RV (1998 Triple E Senator 28ft class C - Ford E350 V10)
retired but stuck in a stick house full time

ArdraF

• ---
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2011, 01:42:32 PM »
Nothing gets stored in our shower because we use it almost every day.  That's one of the reasons we have an RV - so we have our own toilet and shower and don't need to use the ones in campgrounds!  Many years ago in a Class C we stored our lawn chairs in the shower but now have ones that are designed better and fit in an underbay.

I wouldn't even consider buying an RV without a shower so I think it would be a mistake in terms of resale.  Maybe instead you need to reconsider what you carry and rearrange how you carry it.  Also, stop at laundromats more often so you don't have duffle bags full of dirty clothes.

ArdraF
ArdraF
:D :D

jrabbit

• ---
    • pjamz5
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 11:44:55 PM »
I appreciate the comments.  we are in a 25' travel trailer with no slides.  it has 2 bunks and a fold-down queen bed/couch (I found bins that fit perfectly in the space under the couch' which hold craft/school supplies and ready-to-eat food).  under dinette storage is too complicated, so it is being used inefficiently now, but holds things like towels, tools, rugs.  there is a nice cabinet by the bunks, which needs to hold more than  it does.  the two older kids filled it. with junk instead of clothes.  it does not go all the way to the ceiling, so that will be mod#1, if I can figure out how to do it without real tools!  we also have the bed of the truck, which currently holds a generator and a few bins of things we will use when we get to our destination.

- the plastic drawers won't fit in the tub.  (it is a deep tub). or, at least any plastic drawers that would significantly help wouldn't fit!
- the duffel bags contain clean clothes - dirty laundry is in a laundry basket in the tub, but I can't stack it veto ally while we are driving.  it is the wasted vertical space that is frustrating me.

the real problem is convincing the kids they need to put their stuff away, or they will never be able to find it!  add to that the problem of constantly rearranging ... we are on an unusually long trip right now, and we cannot fix the problems we are having, but the kids are getting on my nerves with constant whining about the space problem.  I don't see this as a permanent problem because if we are staying in one place long enough, we could effectively rearrange.

thanks again!
--janis
Hippie Wife and Mom of 3

2015 Ford F-350
2003 VW diesel Jetta

Bruce Patterson

• ---
  • Bruce and S˘nia Patterson
    • The Republican Forum
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 09:40:42 AM »
Nothing gets stored in our shower because we use it almost every day.  That's one of the reasons we have an RV - so we have our own toilet and shower and don't need to use the ones in campgrounds! 
ArdraF

Ardra, boy, am I with you on this one.  Since I've been married to a Brazilian, I've become accustomed to taking a minimum of two showers a day (I take up to 5 or 6 when in Brazil), and our trailer has a 3/4 size bathtub.  Don't take baths very often, but the extra room is nice when we decide to shower together.  Remember the 60's?  When I get up in the morning, first thing I do is start the coffee and get right int the shower.  I can't imagine using the campground showers.  Many places I've stayed don't have them anyway.
Wandering Bruce
FT since 1993
2016 40' Winnebago L attitude Bunkhouse
2008 Ford F450
We are somewhere in Pennsylvania
RepublicanForum.com

Lowell

• ---
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 09:50:50 AM »
I have considered removing the top bunk and putting in a closet rod.   The grandchildren are getting too old to travel with us much anymore.
Lowell

2005 Cherokee28A TT
pulled by 2009 Dodge 1500 Crew Cab 4X4
KF7YET

Tempe, Arizona

Cant Wait

• ---
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2011, 11:12:56 AM »
Granted it's only the DW and myself, but we would never consider using the shower area as storage. We often camp at campgrounds with no sewer hook-ups, but still use the camper shower most of the time. I never really like using the campground showers being as you never know what was done in the shower before you use it. I'd rather take the blue tank and drain the grey tank daily then use most campground showers.
2012 Winnebago "Our Incredible Journey"  40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2005 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now
Home - Western NY

Bruce Patterson

• ---
    • The Republican Forum
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2011, 07:05:27 PM »
Granted it's only the DW and myself,

I'm out of the loop here, what is a "DW?"  Darned Wife?
Wandering Bruce
FT since 1993
2008 Ford F450
RepublicanForum.com

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2011, 07:10:57 PM »
I'm out of the loop here, what is a "DW?"  Darned Wife?

You got it. Also Darling Wife, Damned Wife, depending on the moment.

Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
~We can't be lost because we don't care where we're going~
Here's where we are http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276
2015 Allegro Ooen Road
1973 Sunshine Yellow VW Bug

Tom and Margi

• ---
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 07:31:22 PM »
Dear Wife, Doting Wife, Delightful Wife, etc.

therealsimpsons

• ---
  • Stan & Becky & Moe the Cat
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 10:27:01 PM »
Or should it be?....I'm going to get hammered on this one...haha!!

Dutiful Wife   ;D

05 Beaver Monterey Laguna IV
400 HP C9 Cat
06 Honda CR-V toad with Blue Ox

Lady Fitzgerald

• ---
  • Jeannie
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2011, 10:07:00 AM »
Or should it be?....I'm going to get hammered on this one...haha!!

Dutiful Wife   ;D

Where did I put my 4 lb. double jack?  ;D
Jeannie

Between RVs (to put it mildly) but planning on buying a TT to full time in.

Bruce Patterson

• ---
    • The Republican Forum
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 12:36:35 PM »

You got it. Also Darling Wife, Damned Wife, depending on the moment.

OK, my next guess was it was going to be some kind of car, like a DW instead of a VW.  My wife expects me to shower at least twice a day (more in tropical climates), be clean shaven and wear nice clothes that aren't wrinkled.  She even irons her underwear.  If I don't put something away immediately after using it, I'm in serious trouble.  If my feet smell, I get evicted.
Wandering Bruce
FT since 1993
2008 Ford F450
RepublicanForum.com

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 01:00:17 PM »
I'm sure you could also stick in some German or Portuguese words that start with "D". Just be aware that DH is Darling or Damn or Darn or Demanding Husband. So careful what "D" word you use :)

Wendy
Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

DinnerDiva

• ---
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 10:41:56 AM »
Ok, here's my solution to some storage issues.  We are fortunate enough to have a large sliding door wardrobe that holds everything but clothing.  There is a rod across the top like in a normal closet.  Instead of attaching hangers, etc (which I fall off the rod when moving) I use one of these which I bought at Ikea. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40210553/  This is my linen closet.  This has has 5 "shelves" or compartments and I use one for a set of extra sheets, one for beach towels, one for regular towels, one for hand and face cloths - you get the picture.  Depending on your shower area, you could get one or two of these (depending on the room you have) and put a tension spring rod from wall to wall in the shower up high and hang this on it (or install a rod that is more permanent if you can) - it would make use of verticle space and could hold clothing, etc.  I bought two more similar and plan to put them in the long, skinny closets in the bedroom area which are about a foot wide with a rod at the top.  I don't hang cloths in the RV anyway and this would give me one shelf for undies, one for t-shirts, one for jeans, etc.  The possibilities are endless and Ikea has tons of this type of thing and they are pretty cheap.  Also, something like this http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70116511/ might help keep the dirty laundry in a more compact space.  I know laundry is a pain and hard to store - I end up folding it and putting it in large trash bags to go to the laundromat but there are only 2 of us which makes it much easier than with kids who go through tons of laundry.  I agree with some of the others, I need my shower and could not live without it - hate to use campground showers.  Good luck with the small area storage dilemma!
Jane and Adrian with Oscar and Nikko (two ornery cats)
2004 Gulfstream Voyager
2009 Hyundai Accent toad

The trouble with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true.  Abraham Lincoln

The bend in the road is not the end of the road
unless you fail to make the turn.  (anon)

jrabbit

• ---
    • pjamz5
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 08:40:45 PM »
ok, ok, ok.  I understand the message. :)
I found a laundry hamper and some other storag bins which have made the current voyage much less cumbersome.   we clearly need a bigger RV, but we are making do for now.  nobody has shown any interest in using the RV shower, though ...
--janis
Hippie Wife and Mom of 3

2015 Ford F-350
2003 VW diesel Jetta

zip0

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 01:24:03 PM »
When we had our TT I converted the tub/shower into storage. I cut a piece of 0.25" white plastic sheet to fit on the top ledge of the tub. Then I purchased shelving from home Depot (the type with tubular legs that fit into each other) there was enough room to fit three shelves and one for the top. I was able to put two plastic storage bins on each shelf held in place with bungee cords. on the top I had an additional 6" of storage.
" A day without camping is....WORK"
2003 Bounder 35R
3 Jack Russell's

carson

• ---
  • memories of yore
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 02:11:49 PM »
On a little sidepoint... not a thread drift.

Jack Russels... There was a case here in Florida last week where a Sheriff deputy shot and killed a little feller.

He, the deputy, approached the home with 2 Russels. One was a wimp, the other a warrior. The warrior broke thru the screen door and tried to have lunch on the Deputy's  leg. Bang.

What can I say.  :( :'(

Carson FL
Carson, 
 West Central Florida
Ex RV'er. (1995 Winnebago Adventurer)
2007 Buick Rendezvous, SUV / CROSSOVER

...Logic works like a charm...

Wendy

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 06:47:20 PM »

Jack Russels... There was a case here in Florida last week where a Sheriff deputy shot and killed a little feller.

He, the deputy, approached the home with 2 Russels. One was a wimp, the other a warrior. The warrior broke thru the screen door and tried to have lunch on the Deputy's  leg. Bang.

Carson FL

And how is this not thread-drift, Carson ??

Wendy, Mike, and Gordon
2015 Allegro Ooen Road

wgb1

• ---
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 09:33:59 PM »
Ardra, boy, am I with you on this one.  Since I've been married to a Brazilian, I've become accustomed to taking a minimum of two showers a day (I take up to 5 or 6 when in Brazil), and our trailer has a 3/4 size bathtub.  Don't take baths very often, but the extra room is nice when we decide to shower together.  Remember the 60's?  When I get up in the morning, first thing I do is start the coffee and get right int the shower.  I can't imagine using the campground showers.  Many places I've stayed don't have them anyway.

Hmm, You have piqued my curiosity. Not sure I understand the connection between being Brazilian or married to a Brazilian and taking multiple showers per day. What am I missing here?
Walter & Kathi
NE Texas
2011 Keystone Bullet 246RBS
2000 Chevrolet Silverado

dave61

• ---
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2011, 07:43:03 AM »
One "con" would be when you are selling your RV. If you are trading the dealer is going to need to make it a shower again since the vast majority of buyers want one. They will deduct that cost when figuring the trade value so it will cost you money. The best of both worlds might be the temporary option which could be easily removed (back to a shower) when it is time to sell.
2004 B Touring Cruiser 27
Ford E450 V-10
Tampa Bay FL

PatrioticStabilist

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2011, 10:10:24 PM »
Oh my goodness if Sue Anne and I did not shower daily we couldn't stand each other!

In the summer when working out in the heat hubby and I are known to change clothes a couple of times a dat and step into the shower at home to freshen up.  Here in Houston we get drenched working outside.

One of the reasons I got the bigger motorhome was for the w/d and the other, well there were others too, but another reason is Sue Anne saw the bathtub and said that's for her.  It's a pretty nice size. 

I'm not crazy about our bedroom storage, the Winnebago has more.  But I told DD we will put some clothes in storage boxes under the motorhome and when traveling we can rotate stuff and therefore not have the closet jammed.  I can now label boxes and store some jackets, umbrellas and things we only use sporadically. I think I will dedicate certain clothes to the motorhome period and not drag them in and out just as I do other items.

Also I do not like public bathrooms or showers I have never used the shower facilities in a campground we use our own.  During the day , kitties food and water is in the shower.  The diesel has a cat door in the bathroom door but I may have to get her a smaller litter box for in there.  Think I will also get her a smaller food dish and water bowl.  She hides and rides under the couch in the Winnie, don't think this has a spot for her, not sure where she will go.  Will have to do something for her.

It must be very tight for 2 kids and 2 adults and I'm sure its hard to store needed items.  Hope you can work something out for space.

Bruce Patterson

• ---
    • The Republican Forum
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2011, 11:48:05 PM »
Hmm, You have piqued my curiosity. Not sure I understand the connection between being Brazilian or married to a Brazilian and taking multiple showers per day. What am I missing here?

Not sure what you are missing.  You tell me.  Brazilians are big on hygiene.  In the Amazon it is hot and humid, so we take lots of showers.  I sometimes take up to 5 per day.  Now I'm in Las Vegas, so I'm down to two per day.  One when I get off work and one when I get up. 
Wandering Bruce
FT since 1993
2008 Ford F450
RepublicanForum.com

4ducksrus

• ---
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2011, 09:43:23 AM »

Carson FL

Seriously??? What, where, I'm confused...this is definitely off the thread!

Edit: Fix quote
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 10:34:54 AM by Ned »
Jim & Mikie

2011 Itasca Meridian 40U
2013 Jeep Rubicon
2003 HD Ultra Classic
WIT WI54011

Maxmansmom

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2017, 11:24:20 PM »
I know I am late to this discussion, but we just purchased a new to us Travel trailer, and we do use the shower/tub as a closet.  I hung a tension rod over the shower enclosure, then hung an organizer (purchased in the closet section of walmart) over it.  we put tp, towels, extra bath supplies in it. Under it we have two small baskets that are plastic and we have our toilet treatment type supplies and shower supplies (that we take to the shower house at the campground).  Also have command hooks stuck to wall of the shower to hang mop and broom.   The shower curtain hides it all when pulled closed. 

Oldgator73

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2017, 09:24:59 AM »
We have a very small, 17', travel trailer. It has a wet bathroom that we do use if we have to. Like when we are on the road and stop at a rest stop, Walmart, truckstop. When at a CG we use their facilities except in the middle of the night. I don't think we will convert our BR into storage. I have put up shelves, 10" boards that span the width of the trailer and sit atop the window valances above the queen size bed and the dinette. I have looked at larger trailers, which would require a larger truck. More money. We have fun in our little trailer. I am thinking of getting one of those tents that attach to an easy up, which we have. We could use that for a place to sit out of the weather and to store the stuff we carry in the trailer that gets in the way when we are parked.

RVfixer

• ---
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2017, 02:15:22 PM »
Our first trailer was a 25 foot TT with no slides.  It seemed big coming from a truck camper.  We used the shower daily and prefer not to use campground showers.  I found extra storage all over the place.  The closet in the bathroom had a raised floor in it.  Under that floor was the water heater taking up less than half of that space.  I took the floor out and cut it in half and added a brace and made it a pull up panel.  We kept all of our spare paper goods in there..plates, napkins, paper towels, TP, I even had a pair of boots in there.  Under the sofa was a water tank.  It had a lot of space on each side and we used that space for plastic bags of folded clothes like T shirts, pull over shirts, socks, extra bath towels, etc.  The area where the power cord fed into the trailer was about 3 times as big as it needed to be for the cord.  I added a small inside door into that area and walled off a smaller area inside for the power cord to feed into.  The rest of the area was used to store stuff.  There was storage under the booth cushions.  You had to take the cushions off and pull up the boards to get in there.  I added doors to the outside of the booth ends inside the trailer and made one side a slide out storage bin for canned foods and a slide out shelf over the top of the cans.  The other under booth seat storage had an outside hatch.  That made for a long reach under the booth seat.  I put a partition in the middle and had storage accessed from the inside or outside.  There was some dead space between the entry door and the back of the booth.  I made a bookcase that rested on the floor and attached to the back of the booth.  It was amazing how much unused areas that we found and modified for storage.  I installed magazine/book holders on the wall at the end of each booth seat.  My DW even made throw pillows for the sofa and booth seats with zippers.  No filling inside the pillows, we filled them with clothing items, dish towels, gloves, sweaters, etc.  The shower....was always ready for taking showers!!  We had found so much extra space that I took the loaded trailer to be weighed again to make sure we were below gross weight...we were well within.

If you are going to use the shower for storage...if it is a rear bath make sure you don't put hard things in there that will bounce while driving and break or punch holes in the shower floor.  A friend made that mistake.   

JFN

• ---
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2017, 02:46:10 PM »
Well as I see it, you answered your own question don't take showers use it as storage. Problem solved.

John & Connie Neal
2006 Dodge 2500 5.9, PacBrake
Smarty Jr Tuned
2006 KZ 29.5' Durango
MaxBrake, Brake Controller
Pressure Pro TPMS
K6JFN

Hosted by Over The Network