Lexington, Kentucky to Clinton, Connecticut

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndyinLexington

This will be my first attempt at a trip log. 

Day One

We left Lexington about two hours later than our goal, which is typical for a morning departure for us.  I kept thinking of work related things to take care of, and one thing led to another as it often does.  We finally were able to escape at about ten AM and headed north on I-75.  Stopped for a quick lunch about 33 miles northeast of Cincinnati at a rest area.  Our route takes us through Columbus, Ohio and then east on I-70 to the Penn tpke, to I-81, I-78, I-95 to Connecticut. 

Clinton is a quaint little town on the shoreline about a half hour east of New Haven.  The purpose of our week-long trip is to visit my brother-in-law who recently developed heart trouble.

We're also scheduling a little vacation/sightseeing time, and hope to try out our new camera.  Stay tuned for some photos in the nextfew days.

We drove about 475 miles today, which is more than I felt like driving, but not as far as we'd hoped to get.  We've stopped for a few hours sleep at a service plaza on I-70, and willcontinue the drive tomorrow, with a scheduled arrival time of around 3 PM.

Much of I-70 in Pennsylvania has been re-constructed, at least thus far.  The ride quality is much improved over the conditions in May 2010, when we were through here last.  Several sections remain under construction as well.

Day Two

Slept well and got up at around 7:30.  We were back on the road a little after 8 AM and made good time the rest of the trip.  Road conditions have improved quite a bit since 2010 when we were through here last.  We didn't stop to do any sightseeing as we were trying to get to Clinton in time for supper (we did).  We did stop for lunch at Friendlies and enjoyed some hot food and a break from the road.

We made 9.1 MPG for the trip up, towing the 05 Malibu and driving 57 mph. 

Day Three

Today we went to Essex, Ct and rode the Connecticut Valley Railroad Steam Train, from Essex up to Deep River and back.  This is a nice trip up the Connecticut River valley, with some good views of the river and adjacent marshland.  We had a chance to take quite a few photos with the new Sony A-55.  I will post a few as soon as I get thm downloaded and re-sized. 

If you get to Essex, there is a restaurant downtown called The Black Seal that is well worth trying!  Essex is a small, very old, quaint New England town,and it is a great place to spend a couple of hours just browsing the shops and galleries.

Brings back memories...lived in Haddam, Middletown,Danialson, & Putnam...spent lots of time in Deepriver too..Ate tons of long-neck clams too. There's some really nice restaurants and cool fairs there too.used to be a great dinner theater by the swing bridge in Haddam I think it was..haven't been back since '92 ...You've got me thinking about maybe a spring trip...thanks for your reports..safe trip & look forward to more.

AndyinLexington said:
Much of I-70 in Pennsylvania has been re-constructed, at least thus far.  The ride quality is much improved over the conditions in May 2010, when we were through here last.  Several sections remain under construction as well.

Brings back thoughts of when I was a kid in Georgetown, KY. My grandparents were from PA (Philly and Lancaster areas) so we visited about once a year. The PA turnpike was not built as yet on the first trips I remember. On our first trek after it opened I recall stopping at each of new Howard Johnson's along the way.

We crossed the Ohio at Maysville, drove the brick streets thru Chilocothe <sp>, and cross through West Virginia via Wheeling. Can't recall exactly where we picked the turnpike. I think our car was a 47 Nash.

That was all about 100 years ago . . .  :)

Thanks for sharing your trip report!!

Day Four

This was a rainy day.  DW went shopping and sightseeing with her sister in law, and I caught up on some work.  Also went to find a replacement shade for the door window.  Ended up at the local Ace Hardware and they were able to custom cut one for about ten bucks.  Also picked up a small clip on fan for the rear bedroom, and some ice trays (no ice maker in our rig).  Ate a great dinner at the Fish Tale.  Lobster roll and onion rings for me and grilled salmon with redskin potatos for DW.  Definitely worth a stop if you get to this area.  They have one in Madison (Exit 62) and one in Westbrook (Exit 64).  Both on Route 1. 

Day 5 (Thursday October 20)

Today I spent the day with a good friend from high school.  He is from England, so we went up to Foxwood and visited the Princess Diana Exhibit that is there for a few months.  It was a good time, and if you are into Diana (which I'm really not that much) it is very informative.  Lots of info and pics from her childhood, growing up, and of course the wedding and funeral. How sad that someone who gave so much to so many would pass on at such a young age.  Makes one consider ones own mortality (at least that is what it does for me).  The ride up and back is through densely wooded and rolling hills forest land - typical of eastern Connecticut when you get away from the shoreline.  Fall colors are not quite at the peak yet, but getting there.  Evidently the additional rain from the hurricane has skewed the leaf-changing schedule some. 

We had a late lunch on the way back at Bill's Seafood in Westbrook.  If you like clam strips it's a great stop.  The best on the shoreline in my opinion.  We sat outside on the deck to eat and watched the birds around the adjacent marina.  A little windy but that was a good trade off for the very nice view.  Not busy this time of year, but a great meal.

Later in the evening my wife and I took an elderly lady to dinner.  She and her husband were a real encouragement and great friends to us when we were newlyweds, back in the mid and late 80's.  Her husband died of cancer about a year and a half ago, and we've kept in touch.  They are real special people to us.  We had a very nice evening with her.  Dinner was (where else!) the Fish Tale again.

Day 7 & 8

Today we left about 9:00 AM to head back.  Going back, we decided to take I-95 to I-287 to Tappan Zee bridge.  A very nice route and a good alternative to the GW bridge and the NYC mess.  We drove most of the day and ended up stopping for the night at the Cabela's just east of Wheeling, WV.  It was a long day but we like to get most of the drive done the first day and have a shorter day the second.  That worked well.  We all slept well.  The furnace kicked on a couple of times during the night and it was about 38 degrees at 7 AM the next morning.  No one had patience for breakfast so we stopped at a McDonalds across from Cabella's and hit the road. Drove continuously till we got to Georgetown, KY where we stopped at a rest area near home and disconnected the toad. 

That's about it - a good trip but a long drive. 

Sounds like you had a great time. And I've added some places to my "list" if we ever make it to the northeast. Thanks.

Wendy

Hey Andy, Clinton is my home town and we'll be heading that way in August.  You stopped at 3 of my favorite restaurants! Great advice you got on where to go, either that or you were very lucky.  Thanks for the reminder to my taste buds... looking forward to seeing my parents, the shoreline, and especially the seafood!
Steviewonder

Back
Top Bottom