Road rules

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chatter33

As a former RV owner, I would like to comment on how some RV owners drive. We currently own a motorcycle and travel in groups of 2 to 15. While I realize some RV's cannot travel at top speed, it is only courteous when you notice a large group of motorcycles behind you to either slow down and pull over a bit so we may pass and PLEASE do not speed up when we are trying to pass you. We are trying to enjoy a road trip as much as you do!  Thank you and happy RVing!

Maybe some of your group could SLOW DOWN and quit trying to pass on double solids or on the shoulder.

As a group we keep our speed at the legal speed limit, I cannot speak for other groups. I know there are plenty who break the rules!  I am only talking about those RV owners who choose to stay under the speed limit, I realize gas is expensive and going slower makes better gas mileage. I honestly am not trying to be disrepectful just make the roads enjoyable for everyone.

I am a motorcycle rider and an RVer. The biggest mistake motorcycles riders make is having the assumption that all of the riders MUST travel together.  The fact is a motorcycle is a singular vehicle and should behave as such.  Ever try to merge onto a freeway when a group of 10 to 15 motorcycles is cruising by, separated by 20 to 30 feet?  It's like trying to pass a train. 

Both vehicles need to share the road, and each have their own set of challenges. The motorcycles are small, fast, and easy to miss in your mirror.  RV's are big, don't maneuver well, and are hard to accelerate and harder to slow down.  On a motorcycle it's hard to be calm when you are following that "rolling roadblock". 

Patience and understanding is key.  Slow down and enjoy the ride.  In either vehicle.

I have to echo "Sarge".  I am a new RV driver and a long time biker.  It is legal to 'split' lanes in
some states on a motorcycle.  Personally I choose not to do it, but some do and as long as it remains
legal there is little to be done. 

Sarge has it right, when Common Courtesy rules the road, we all have a nice trip.

The Big Larry

I'm going to second the suggestion that individual cyclists pass one at a time - it's how I was taught to pass slower vehicles when schooled on riding in a group.

And I'm also going to suggest that cyclists get over the pack mentality that overcomes almost all groups of riders.  Not in our RV, but in our everyday vehicles, too many times I've found myself behind a group riding slower than the posted speed (and slower than safety requires) leaving me with a quarter mile of vehicles to pass if I want to continue at the legal speed limit.  They never seem to pull over...

In the RV, we do our best to let all vehicles around us, sometimes going to the extreme of really slowing down and pulling over onto the shoulder when it's necessary.  We're not in a hurry and I feel more relaxed when I'm not worrying about someone making a kamikaze pass.

Ditto that Sarge! I am a trucker and also a RV er, and agree that motorcycle riders need to slow down and stop passing in between traffic. I know most motorcycle drivers are respectful, but just like the big trucks out there it just takes one or two to give them a bad reputation.

chatter33 said:
...it is only courteous when you notice a large group of motorcycles behind you to either slow down and pull over a bit so we may pass...

Depends what you mean by "pull over a bit". If I feel I'm holding up traffic on a 2-laner, I will pull over to the point of riding the white line to let ANY TYPE of vehicle see past me and decide if they want to pass. I will not, however, put my family at danger by slowing down excessively or pulling on to the shoulder to let others by me.

And, may I ask in return that when you do pass me (in either direction), you don't ride with your foot peg & handlebar hanging over the yellow line?

When I am driving the coach on 2 lane roads I keep a constant check of the traffic behind me. I usually will look for a place to pull over when it is safe to do so to let the following traffic pass. When I had my motorcycle I do remember (on the Blue Ridge Parkway) motorhomes having a convoy behind them and not pulling over at overlook places to let the following traffic get by. On a few occasions  ::) I do remember doing some double yellow stuff (I did a check of traffic in front  of the motorhome and then did a big right wrist twist to get around). I would first scoot over near the double yellow to make sure no on coming traffic was there and that I had safe distance to get around. Was it being foolish....probably....but...I am still here. ;D

codgerbill said:
When I am driving the coach on 2 lane roads I keep a constant check of the traffic behind me. I usually will look for a place to pull over when it is safe to do so to let the following traffic pass.
I try to do the same thing, but sometimes it is difficult to determine if the delay caused by my slowing down and pulling over is really going to gain anything for those behind me. :-\  Seems like many times when I pull over, just over the next hill the road has a "slow traffic" lane or becomes 4-lane. :mad:

It's really hard when on a 2-lane road GOING UPHILL to slow down and pull over and have to get that steam up again to get going uphill. However, we do try to pull over when we can and there is a line of traffic behind us. And it's up to the folks behind us to stay calm and wait until we can pull over or until it's LEGAL and SAFE to pass. We were on a 2-lane road in Kansas, going the speed limit, with a line of traffic behind us. There was no place to pull over to let them pass. Two a**holes (cars, not bikes) decided to go ahead and pass on a double yellow approaching a blind curve. The poor lady who came around that blind curve had nowhere to go and ended up rolling over in a ditch while the bozos who caused the accident kept right on going down the road. And when the police arrived, someone said that there was a motorhome going slow and everyone was getting frustrated. We were going the speed limit, maybe that's "slow" in some people's minds.

Wendy

Wendy said:
someone said that there was a motorhome going slow and everyone was getting frustrated.

I am afraid the motorhome going slow would not be the cause of a crash. Another driver's inappropriate reaction to that, however, would.

We spent a lot of time in the West this year on two lane roads with lots of motorcycles. We keep a constant eye out for the obvious "scenic overlooks" to use to spare the traffic behind us, and watch the mirrors for buildups or those who want to pass six cars at a time.

We have also seen other RV'ers who do not pay so much attention to their surroundings and that is unfortunate.

And unless bikers have a parade permit, they are still individuals who need to behave as responsibly as the rest of the drivers. Just because they take up the least room and are the most maneuverable does that make them immune to the law or the consequences of bad decisions.

I'm an RV'er, a former dump truck and OTR driver, and a "to the core" biker (notice that I did not say motorcycle enthusiast which so many riders today are). 

Yes, bikes are fast and maneuverable, and should quickly and easily pass the average RV.  Often the rider's sense of timing and knowledge of vehicle operation are not up to the task and accidents happen.  This is a sad fact of highway safety.  As an RV'er I suggest just maintaining your speed and direction.  As a rider comes up behind you to pass they'll calculate their passing based on your motion, any change in your motion can throw them off and make for a dangerous situation, just let them pass you.  Wave hello if you choose.

Also, regardless of how you feel about the riders and how they ride, do not do as I've had some do to me.  Some drivers consider it their obligation to show a rider that he or she should not pass and the driver will then proceed to block them (I've seen truckers, RV'ers, and car drivers all do this).  If you ask me this action is nothing less than attempted homocide and I have been on the receiving end of such "driving lessons" before, luckily I can ride better than they could drive.  Don't forget, if a bike hits you it will do far worse damage to the rider and his vehicle than it will to your rig, that rider does NOT want to get too close to you. 

Bikes tend to be symbols of a certain freedom of the road and due to their speed and maneuverability they are often used that way in traffic, hence the land splitting, white-lining, and cutting in front at traffic lights.  You cannot stop it.  Any attempt to do so might kill the rider and put you in prison for the rest of your days.  All your complaining about this will be to naught.  Education of riders is the key, but even then there are people who will heed the sound of the wind rushing past their ears and use their bikes to avoid traffic and find a piece of open road.  And I wish them Godspeed!

As we sit here preaching to the choir, we can only hope that chatter33 reads the replies and shares them with his fellow riders.

Thank you all for the input. I realize none of us are perfect and everyone breaks the rules sometime. We try very hard to be courteous drivers and realize there are 2 sides to every story. We are all riding for enjoyment and want it to stay that way. Tahnks to all and safe travels!  :)

SargeW said:
I am a motorcycle rider and an RVer. The biggest mistake motorcycles riders make is having the assumption that all of the riders MUST travel together.  The fact is a motorcycle is a singular vehicle and should behave as such.  Ever try to merge onto a freeway when a group of 10 to 15 motorcycles is cruising by, separated by 20 to 30 feet?  It's like trying to pass a train. 

Both vehicles need to share the road, and each have their own set of challenges. The motorcycles are small, fast, and easy to miss in your mirror.  RV's are big, don't maneuver well, and are hard to accelerate and harder to slow down.  On a motorcycle it's hard to be calm when you are following that "rolling roadblock". 

Patience and understanding is key.  Slow down and enjoy the ride.  In either vehicle.

I don't speed but still I wish I had a dollar for everytime I got stuck behind a string of motorcycles taking up the same amount of room as three or more cars with no room between to allow leap frogging them. I would also love to have a dollar for everytime I got stuck behind an RV that wouldn't use the turnouts provided, even if they had a string of cars piled up behind them. Both groups have their guilty parties.

RoyM said:
Maybe some of your group could SLOW DOWN and quit trying to pass on double solids or on the shoulder.

I second this I was rolling at 55 MPH in a 65 MPH area held to the right as far as possible and allowed every to pas when they can but when the passing lane quits I center up in my lane. Then I get blasted by 3-4 more passing illegally on a blind hill I'm blowing the air honks to alert the other driver as well as flick the high beam at the same time mashing the brake and jaking all at once...

Guess what?! No got hurt... But I end up getting the middle finger for it... WTH?!

Trust me I'm also a motorcycle rider too... I see a lot of people driving like id10ts on the road...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom