Boat Loader

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lowell

Have any of you used one of those boat loaders that lift the boat and flip it onto your truck rack?  If so, What do think of it?

I've seen them at boating/RVing shows, but never owned one. I thought they were neat.

Thanks Tom.  When we had a pop up, it was esy to put the boat on the top of it.  Now with the TT, we have been leaving the boat behind.  Seems like the boat loader might be our answer.  I'm hoping to check one out soon.

One reason I haven't bought one is that I have nowhere to attach the racks on top of our Suburban which we tow behind the coach.

Well I ended up buying a truck rack with a manual boat loader for $300 that I saw on Craig's list.  I am the third owner of this boat loader made by Karry Industries.  I found a phone number on the Internet for Karry Industries and gave them a call.  They put the inventer of the boat loader on the phone with me and he stepped me through the set-up process. I got it installed today.  I need to make a slight rope length change so it parks a bout 8 inches more forward.  But all in all, I am quite happy with it.

Attachments

• PB050144 (Small).JPG
    PB050144 (Small).JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 131
  • PB050143 (Small).JPG
    PB050143 (Small).JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 102
  • PB050145 (Small).JPG
    PB050145 (Small).JPG
    66.3 KB · Views: 102
  • PB050147 (Small).JPG
    PB050147 (Small).JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 116
  • PB050148 (Small).JPG
    PB050148 (Small).JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 124
Thanks Lowell. One question - when the boat is in/near it's vertical position, it looks very close to the back of the truck. How do you protect the truck?

The ropes that attach to the transom are enclosed in a length of rubber hose.  The rubber hose comes between the boat and the bumper if contact is made.

Great topic and post.

I am in the process of moving from tent camping to TT. My main concern is the boat. It comes before the camper, so leaving it behind is not an option, and one of the reasons I continue to tent camp. That would be if I used a tent, generally I use a 10x20' dining fly and pitch my cot under it. When I bring the dogs I bring the tent, dogs and coons don't play nice at 3am. Now that the wife wants to go, I need to step up to the TT. She "needs" a/c, hot water, and flush toilets. For some reason the water spray fan, solar shower, and cat hole don't count.  ;D

I have been looking at those Boat Loaders from several companies and had the same question. How well do they work, and are they worth the money?
Actually, I designed one and while searching for parts I came across companies that make the whole units.

I realize this thread is old, however I would appreciate any more information from others with similar units. Any preference of units, or locations (SUV or TT top)?
Thanks.

I just used my boat loader with the TT last week for the first time since we bought it. I have used it several times without pulling the TT. I was very pleased with everything and so happy to have the boat along on this campin/fishing trip.  We made a round trip of about 600 miles.  I didn't feel any wind or other effect of the of the boat on the trailer.  I got  9 mpg going (uphill) and 12.5 mpg coming home (downhill).  It's interesting that if I don't have the boat on the loader , I get a lot of wind noise from the rack.  With the boat on the loader, I don't get any wind noise.  My loader is manualoperated and I found it helpfull to have a small stool to stand on to crank it.  I could get a battery operated attachment for it but I'm too cheap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom