EAGLE W/ 8V71 DETROIT AND 4 SPEED MANUAL TRANS.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dukeman7595

Hello everyone,

Would anyone be able to give some information on this BUS ?  The bus is located in N.C. at a retail bus sale lot..
The bus has been converted to a M. H. and has the following,  2 roof top  AC units, full bath, power steering, awing  and is a model-05 series .. The year is a 1970 and appears by the photos to be well done , the exterior is  very appealing to the eye as is the interior..

The dealer is asking 22,500,00 .. My problem is I am not sure  if this is a good price for what he has, a Eagle bus which I have no Idea about .. I am very new to the Rv world and have taken just one trip thus far and enjoyed it very much.

The concept of owning a BUS conversion is appealing to me , they look  very sturdy and I am told they give a nice ride..  And I like the idea that they are different then the average Rv out there..

I don't want to make a mistake and buy something that will be a headache instead of a pleasure like Rving was meant to be . 

I would really  like some help  and a lot of advice from my follow members and thank you all in advance
P.S. I have visited the library and researched  as much as possible but EXPERENCE  beats any books to a new person to the Rv world..

Sincerely, JOE

Joe,, go over to the "bus conversion magazine bulletin board" There you will find all the GMC,,MCI,,Eagle,, Prevost,, and several other brands.  Be farwarned, you will find that ownership of these conversions is demanding of mechanical knowledge and experience. I owned a 1962 GMC PD4106 = a 35 foot rear engined bus of Greyhound vintage for 14 years and enjoyed it. But it requires WORK.>>>Dan :) (Since then I have helped to convert two more)

I also think there is something called bus nuts and

http://www.busconversions.com/
Is a 4 speed the usuall set up for 8v71?  I would think 6 or 8 speed could handle mountains better.

I had a 8v92, drink oil, and always had that shaft for the flex plates, got pretty good at changing them.  Did find 2 crank end caps cracked at 70k.  Lucky I caught it when I did and worth checking every 30k or so. Drop oil pan and see for yourself.  Never had a part problem.  Oil cooler fell off one time and I spent entire day (hitch hiked) getting to nearest dealer.  Took taxi back, $80.00 bill.

Path,, No doubt it would,, but the time frame here is 1960s thru the 1970s. The transmission is not an engine factor, they were selected by the coach manufacturer not by the engine, and space,  technology, and cost  was a consideration..>>>Dan

And the 8V71 was first introduced in 1957 and considered the "hotrod of Desiel engines" 568 cubic inches of "screeming jimmy).>>>Dan

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom