10 Watt Halogen light bulbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep. I had the chance when SIL was stationed there. Never did tho. There are at least 3 on the base

Gary RV Roamer said:
Starlights' Revolution brand is what I get from www.RVledbulbs.com. Excellent quality Leds that are designed for automotive & RV use. No hinky 12.0v vs 12.6 or 13 to worry about - they work across a wide range of voltages. I think you will find they now have a full range of bulb types and sizes (lumens) - pin base, wedge, bayonet, festoon, fluorescent tubes, etc.

Exactly Gary!  Lots of worrying about voltages for nothing!

That's great if you're talking about Starlights, I know Greg and he's a good engineer. But historically other LED's have not been built with the acceptance theirs are. That's also why theirs are more expensive...
Buy the best and cry only once.

Update on the 10 watt halogens. I replaced the ones in the rig that had burned out. There is a distinct difference in brightness in the new ones as opposed to the original ones. The new ones are noticeably dimmer than the other ones even though they are supposed to be 10 watts as well.  It won't make a huge difference to me as the lights don't get used often.

But hey, what do you want for .42 cents each........  They must be rated in Chinese watts...

SargeW said:
Update on the 10 watt halogens. I replaced the ones in the rig that had burned out. There is a distinct difference in brightness in the new ones as opposed to the original ones. The new ones are noticeably dimmer than the other ones even though they are supposed to be 10 watts as well.  It won't make a huge difference to me as the lights don't get used often.

But hey, what do you want for .42 cents each........  They must be rated in Chinese watts...
Watts don't equal Lumens. You are likely still drawing 10W, but what you don't see in light is probably turning up as heat.

As Jeff says, all 10W bulbs are not equal in light output (lumens). In fact, one could easily create a 10w "bulb" that produced no light at all, though that would be better named a 10 watt resister.  ;)

SargeW said:

You may find that although they don't produce as much light they may last longer. All other variables aside, the hotter a lamp burns (for the same wattage) the shorter the life, but the more light it produces.  For example, the 500 watt theatre lamps I used in fixtures when I was working were available in two versions - a 300 hour (13,000 lumens) & a 2000 hour (10,000 lumens).  The 300 hour version produced more light at a higher color temperature (3200?K vs 3000K).

vermilye said:
You may find that although they don't produce as much light they may last longer. All other variables aside, the hotter a lamp burns (for the same wattage) the shorter the life, but the more light it produces.  For example, the 500 watt theatre lamps I used in fixtures when I was working were available in two versions - a 300 hour (13,000 lumens) & a 2000 hour (10,000 lumens).  The 300 hour version produced more light at a higher color temperature (3200?K vs 3000K).
The long life versions better known as parkinglot lamps.

SargeW said:
Wow! A little bright for the living room........
Well..... You only need one, and can open a surgery room on the side.. :eek:

Gary RV Roamer said:
We used to have several G4 pin base 10W halogens. They lasted ok - at least a couple years of use, but the suckers were so hot, and sucked so much amperage that I got rid of them. The one over the coffee pot used to keep the coffee warm, though. Now I have to re-heat it!

Heat - that is the main reason I was looking in to replacing the halogen with LED.

Hi,

Just noticed this today after replacing every light in the 34y (about 30) with LEDs. In the first 30 days of ownership, I lost seven lights of mixed types (4 ea. G4 Mixed 10 And 20 W, the entry light, 2 reading lights - and I've discovered the shower has a light-burned out of course). I've spent about $250 but It will be worth it in reduced hassle. Bought all from RV LEDS.

Gripe - You'd think Winn could afford to put quality lights in $230k motor home! But at least they did put good sensors on the tanks.

Ernie

Yes we are. We have the white and find them more than adequate.  The  lumins are between the 10 and 20w G4's.

Note - the large Win fixtures are G4-20 (20w, not 10) while the small are 10w.

Ernie

All my Ebay LED bulbs are working perfectly still.....Make sure you buy the lumens that you want.....All my LED's cost less than $50 total  ;)

SargeW said:
All of the LED's that I have seen are rated in "lumens". How does that compare to the usual "watt" rating for a regular light bulb?

The 10 watt G4 bulb is rated at 100 Lumens at 12 volts. At the higher voltage that we generally have, the light will be proportionally higher. LED replacements are available at various light outputs up to 250 Lumens

One thing to be aware of is that the ratings for incandescent bulbs (including halogen) will be for a new bulb. As the bulbs age, the output drops significantly. That does not happen with the LEDs.

Joel

Great Horned Owl said:
One thing to be aware of is that the ratings for incandescent bulbs (including halogen) will be for a new bulb. As the bulbs age, the output drops significantly. That does not happen with the LEDs.

Joel
I was not aware of that! Thanks!

Note that the higer voltage equals higher lumens does not hold true for quality LED's. They are regulated to the spec voltage and should not vary their light output.

Ernie

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom