what states allow double towing??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhonda 2

I have a 25' 5th wheel pulled by an F250. I also have a small rowing boat on a modified skidoo trailer. I'd like to trailer the boat behind the 5th wheel- which I guess is called double towing. Boat is only 14' long and weighs just 90lbs. So what eastern states allow this sort of thing and what are the implications of double towing. Many thanks in advance.

beaverfever said:

That table has its problems to which you need to pay attention.  For instance, it states that California permits double trailers.  Well maybe.  It permits them only if the driver is in possesion of a Class-A commercial license with a special double trailer endorsement.  The vast majority of RVers are not going to have those specially endorsed licenses, nor are they ever going to get them. 

Treat the tables as reliable only for negative information:  if the table says the state forbids double trailers believe it and do not double tow in those states.  If the tables say you can tow double trailers in a state, check that information out with the website of the state's DMV before you try such towing there.

Rhonda 2 said:
I have a 25' 5th wheel pulled by an F250. I also have a small rowing boat on a modified skidoo trailer. I'd like to trailer the boat behind the 5th wheel- which I guess is called double towing. Boat is only 14' long and weighs just 90lbs. So what eastern states allow this sort of thing and what are the implications of double towing. Many thanks in advance.

1.  Backing up with a double trailer combo is a chancy thing at best.
2.  One reason for that is that the second trailer is usually hidden behind the first.  That makes go-ahead driving a matter of faith that the silly thing is still there.  :-\ 
3.  Sharp right hand turns with a 5th wheel get even more problematic.
4.  All that means that you will need to unhitch the second trailer before you try to move into a camp site.
5.  Over all length of the tow is regulated -- generally to 70, 65, or 60 feet.  See the table mentioned above.
6.  And then there are the state licensing requirements described above.

Rhonda 2 said:
So does triple tow mean truck, 5th wheel, boat?

Many thanks guys

Probably.  Note that I use double trailer instead of double/triple tow.  The second trailer can be a boat, or a utility trailer, motorcycle dolly, or whatever.  The first trailer is always a 5th wheel unit.

Rhonda 2 said:
So does triple tow mean truck, 5th wheel, boat?

No, that's a double tow.  There are a few states that allow a true triple tow (3 trailers behind a tractor) but those require a CDL with an endorsement.

When I was looking to tow a trailer with motorcycle behind a car attached to the motor coach, I was informed, by print from the manufacturer, that it was considered triple towing. I don't know how they arrived at that decision, other than perhaps the "local" law, but I decided it wasn't for me. I think the laws are too open to local interpretation which can lead to problems down the road.

Somewhere I read that in CA the last unit must be a boat. Not sure if that's true since I have not read the CA motor vehicle rules.

You might consider the platform type of carrier, often with a swiveling single wheel, that mount rigidly to the vehicle in front of them. These then become part of that vehicle since they turn as a part of it rather than as a trailer. Should easily handle a light boat. I've even seen them used for a full size motor cycle.
Ernie

Jim Dick said:
When I was looking to tow a trailer with motorcycle behind a car attached to the motor coach, I was informed, by print from the manufacturer, that it was considered triple towing. I don't know how they arrived at that decision, other than perhaps the "local" law, but I decided it wasn't for me. I think the laws are too open to local interpretation which can lead to problems down the road.

Somewhere I read that in CA the last unit must be a boat. Not sure if that's true since I have not read the CA motor vehicle rules.

The CA vehicle code says nothing about that.  Since double trailer trailer towing is limited to holder of a commercial Class-A license, the DMV handbooks only deal with commercial towing.  Triple trailer towing is entirely prohibited in CA.

I have seen the boat trailer only provision in some mid-western, great plains states.  IIRC that also includes CO but do check that out specifically.

Carl L said:
I have seen the boat trailer only provision in some mid-western, great plains states.  IIRC that also includes CO but do check that out specifically.

Used to be truck - 5th wheel - boat combo in Colorado was the legal combo but I'm not sure if that's still the case. That's the combo I see around here. But I still think it's crazy.

Wendy
Cortez CO

Wendy said:
Used to be truck - 5th wheel - boat combo in Colorado was the legal combo but I'm not sure if that's still the case. That's the combo I see around here. But I still think it's crazy.

Myself.  ;D

Carl,

Thanks for the clarification. I see I didn't state my case properly. When I mentioned trailer, I should have said "platform with dolly wheel". The manufacturer's website stated it could be considered triple towing. Still don't know where they came up with that term since one would only be towing two units. ???

Jim Dick said:
Carl,

Thanks for the clarification. I see I didn't state my case properly. When I mentioned trailer, I should have said "platform with dolly wheel". The manufacturer's website stated it could be considered triple towing. Still don't know where they came up with that term since one would only be towing two units. ???

"Doubles" and "triples" are an ongoing PITA in the trailer discussions around the Forum.  Myself, I have adopted the CA DMV usage which uses double trailers and triple trailers.  I figure that most folks will assume that a tow vehicle will be a part of that parade.  :)

Rhonda 2 said:

It's really hard to find a answer because some states allow it with a 5th wheel but not a TT and most of the charts combine them together. The best way is to contact the states directly. I know for sure that with a 5th wheel the only Midwest and Western states that don't allow it are Oregon and Washington.

Denny 

rvpuller said:
It's really hard to find a answer because some states allow it with a 5th wheel but not a TT and most of the charts combine them together. The best way is to contact the states directly. I know for sure that with a 5th wheel the only Midwest and Western states that don't allow it are Oregon and Washington.

Add California to that list of states prohibiting multiple trailers as I explained above.

Towing multiple trailers can be the subject of direct restrictions prohibiting or permitting it.  It can also permit it with licensing provisions that would prohibit almost all RV drivers from towing multiple trailers. 

Last year on my way to AZ, I followed a F-350, with about a 30'  5th wheel RV, & pulling a 16'ish ski boat. I was with him for about two hundred miles on I-5 through Sacramento on a Friday around noon. He was not bothered by the CHP.

Kevin

Happy Prospector said:
Last year on my way to AZ, I followed a F-350, with about a 30'  5th wheel RV, & pulling a 16'ish ski boat. I was with him for about two hundred miles on I-5 through Sacramento on a Friday around noon. He was not bothered by the CHP.

Kevin

A.  He had a commercial Class-A license and a double trailer endorsement, OR...

B.  He was just plain dumb lucky that he was not stopped, ticketed, forced to unhitch the boat, and arrange for a separate tow of it.

Pick yer choice.  ;D

Carl L said:
Add California to that list of states prohibiting multiple trailers as I explained above.

Towing multiple trailers can be the subject of direct restrictions prohibiting or permitting it.  It can also permit it with licensing provisions that would prohibit almost all RV drivers from towing multiple trailers.

We spent 3 winters in Brookings OR and there was a lot of 5vers from California pulling  boats into Oregon, I asked a few and it was legal in California and they took their chances coming the 12 miles into Oregon.

Denny

rvpuller said:
We spent 3 winters in Brookings OR and there was a lot of 5vers from California pulling  boats into Oregon, I asked a few and it was legal in California and they took their chances coming the 12 miles into Oregon.

Denny

Unfortunately, the California Vehicle Code disagrees with them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom