Length of Class A for us?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChinMusic

My wife and I enter semi-retirement in 2013.  I plan on thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail that year, taking 5-6 months.  We would move the RV every 5-14 days north as I hike north.  I don't know how often we would move it, but we would figure that out soon enough.  We would like to stay as close to the AT as practical with the option of boon-docking from time to time.  We would like to pull a small SUV.  If the Appalachian Trail goes well I might thru-hike the Pacific Crest Trail the next year.  While I am backpacking she could explore the corridor with the SUV.

I understand that some lengths of RV don't fit (are a pain to park) in some locations.  What length RV fits in most places we would likely encounter?

We have no RV experience.  This first RV would sorta be a test-run for us.  We would still have a home to go back to.  If we find out we like the RV lifestyle we would consider this first RV a starter.

If I have left out any key info, please ask.  I first joined this site years ago.  2013 is getting here fast.........

For two people living in an RV I would not want less than 30 feet. RV parks can accommodate just about any size RV you can buy. Campgrounds are where you will run into length restrictions. 35 feet is about the maximum for most state and national parks, although there are plenty that will take up to 40 feet. It is not a problem with the size of the campsite, it is the roads around the campsite that are usually the problem.

Here is an article I wrote from out Library that might be of interest to you, it is called Full Timing 101. It gives a lot of info on what you should know and do before becoming a full timer.

http://www.rvforum.net/joomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=435:fulltimeprep&catid=29:fulltiming&Itemid=45

I have a 32' class A with one slide out.  I'm glad I don't have anything bigger because of some park restrictions.  If I ever get another class A I will look for one the same size with three slide outs.  To me it's not the length so much as the number of slide outs.

It all depends on the parks you choose along the Trail. I don't think overnight parking is allowed inmost trailhead parking areas, so you will need to find parks in the vicinity. The sizes of their campsites is unpredictable, as are the amenities those sites may offer. If close proximity to the trail heads is your goal, I would try to stay smaller, but without sacrificing much in terms of battery capacity and fresh water & waste tank sizes, since I suspect the nearest campgrounds will have few, if any, amenities such as electric or waste dumps.

But if you want more comfort and convenience, I would want 30-35 feet.

Why don't you rent a 30 foot Class C and spend a week somewhere along the Trail and see for your self?

Your first RV and you are just trying it out to see if you like it. I would definately go for a used unit. That way you will not tie up the big money. You can find real good units for sale from a couple of years old to units from the 1980's and 90's on the internet if you look. Have them checked out if you can before buying. Just about every unit has something wrong with it, be it a small thing or big problem.

Also, I would recommend getting a copy of the Trailer Life Campground Directory.  It has thousands of public and private campground listings for the entire country and includes important items like length limits and facilities.  You can check out some of the campgrounds along the AT to see if they have length limitations.  Many older campgrounds weren't designed for the newer and larger RVs we have today.  In addition, some have lots of trees which is nice for the setting but difficult when trying to follow the road into the campsite.  It's not always the length of the campsite itself, but the access roads getting to it that may make maneuvering more difficult because you don't want to scrape the RV trying to get around the trees.

ArdraF

Pierat said:
Definitely rent first!

I haven't thought of renting. I guess we could do a 3-5 day trip where we drive to an area and rent nearby.  I plan on spending a week near Damascus, VA next May.

Is renting really gonna help?  Other than getting an idea of concept, will 5 days really help with floor plan?  I can't imagine finding something to rent close to what I was wanting to buy.  I suppose if the 5 days is a total cluster it may make us rethink the whole thing.

I suspect that ALL newbies go through a period of stress.

My short list for a unit is in the 32-ft range, Class A, preferably diesel (I guess that doesn't matter if I'm considering it a "starter unit").  I think we would prefer twin beds instead of a queen.  We are used to a king and find queens (hotel experience) to be a bit uncomfortable.  I don't mind the twin since no one is kicking me.......lol  For the front area, just a place to chill, watch TV, and play on the computer will do.  I assume most all RVs of that size will sleep 2+ others in a pinch in the main area.

I thought you were looking at much smaller units than 32 feet, so suggested renting to see if you could survive in 24-26 feet.  If you have already decided that 32 ft is your threshold for space, then you have pretty much left the small campsite league.  32 feet is the lower end of "big rig" and is a nice compromise size.

Gary RV Roamer said:
I thought you were looking at much smaller units than 32 feet, so suggested renting to see if you could survive in 24-26 feet.  If you have already decided that 32 ft is your threshold for space, then you have pretty much left the small campsite league.  32 feet is the lower end of "big rig" and is a nice compromise size.

I don't want to leave the "small campsite league".  I thought I read where 32' was the sweetspot.

OK, back to the original question.  How big can you go without resticting your campsite options?  Within reason.

How big can you go without resticting your campsite options?  Within reason.

Impossible question.  I know of camping areas where 25 feet is considered large, and others where 34 feet is considered small.

I think you are right that 30-32 feet is the sweet spot between size and comfort. You should have no difficulty in 90+ % of camping areas. The rest will require something in the 18-25 foot range and that sacrifices a lot in terms of fulltime living.

I'd have to say that 32' is a very good compromise (of course I'm biased), but you don't have to settle for twin beds. We have a king size bed (annd more comfortable than the bed at home), good sized shower and all of the reasonable amenities. We're comfortable nearly anywhere and have not run into a park where we didn't fit; including a number of state parks. I do expect that it might be a different story in the N.E. part of the country.
Ernie

Now I'm back to the 30-32 range.

If we drive to Lazy Days in Feb 2013 with our SUV loaded up, what chances are we find something workable there?  I don't think I'd be comfortable dealing with eBay.  I am going to need some hand-holding for the first buy.

Get to an RV show at some point and just look look look, with no plans on buying yet.  You need to SEE what 32' means to you, and what floorplans you like and don't like, 3 slides versus no slides, etc.  Online photos and our internet descriptions are only going to mean so much.  Once you look at some rigs and walk around them, your preferences might change.  It's a whole lot better to figure this stuff out BEFORE you buy, rather than realize that you want something else after a few months of living in an RV that you bought somewhat hastily.

As an example, when I was shopping I was sure I wanted a 25-28' Class C.  After finally seeing some Class A's in person at a large dealer lot and a year of researching (lots of it done here), I ended up with a 35' Class A.  Big difference!

Take your time.  Know what you want before you buy.  Stay around the forums and learn all you can during this research/shopping process.  That will ease the first-timer jitters to some extent.  ;)

I'm kinda isolated here in Central Illinois.  The internet my only convenient tool. 

As far as floor plans, I think we are pretty easy.  Either twin or a king bed (a queen is my least fave).  For the main area just a place to lounge, watch TV and use the laptop.  I'm pretty simple.  For a 30-32 I would assume very few have a washer/dryer.  I would like an awning with a grill.  Slides would be nice.  I'm sure there are things like water capacity, generators, batteries, etc. etc. that are important but I am just not knowledgeable enough on the subject to even know what I want there.

I have searched RV Trader but feel a bit lost.

ChinMusic said:
I'm kinda isolated here in Central Illinois.  The internet my only convenient tool.

You can't be too far from me.  ;)  We ended up driving from IL to upstate NY to buy our rig, then driving it back... again that was after a solid year of research.  See if you can get to Pontiac RV (Pontiac, IL) to get a look at their inventory sometime. 

Just goggle RV's for sale. Camping world has a bunch. There are a lot of 1-4 year old units that you can do pretty well on.

I'd stay as far from lazy days as possible. If you mean the dealership in FL.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom