want to install washer/dryer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NintendoKD

I found a washer dryer combo on a local classifieds site that fit dimensionwise, however the dryer required 220v.  I am seriously thinking of using a full combination washer dryer Japanese style.  The ones in Japan always amazed me.  The have small capacities, but are fully self-contained and portable, and the best part, are high efficiency and portable "like a portable air conditioner".  I was wondering, however, what is available out there.  Any advice on known models that fit the bill?  I do not want to wait 9 hours for towels to dry, and I cannot hang clothes outdoors because of lot rules so I need a vented system, but I do not have 220v or gas connections.  I will also need to install an on-demand system for hot water to avoid taking cold showes.  Our dimensions are 24"wide 66" total tall and 24 1/2" Deep to the spigot.

looking at haier, pinnacle, and splendide models.  I know a guy at an rv repo place that may have some stuff up for sale, I'll try giving them a call first.

looks like haier is the way to go in terms of compact, low power draw, and low water useage, and the best part, I don't have to pay a premium fullsize price.  I can order it to my local walmart and then pick it up at my latest convenience.  Less than 600 out the door.  Any bad reviews on these things?

Just so you know in advance.  Haier is a Chinese company, not a USA company having China make the product.  When I worked at Target, Haier products were brought in and we seemed to have alot of Haier products returned.  Their air conditioners wouldn't cool a closet let alone a bedroom.  Hopefully if you buy that washer it will work very well.  I would check to see if you could find other peop;e who have bought the product and are satisfied with it.

I believe any dryer you buy that uses 220v will be unusable there's too much amperage draw . some can be converted to 110v but again heavy amps and long drying times.
As to the *On-demand* water heater again the high amp draw will be a problem. There must be a reason why Mfg's don't go to the propane on-demand water heaters. That will be my plan when my water heater decides to go to the big campground in the sky.

ArdraF said:
Splendide washer/dryers are made for RVs.

ArdraF

This I know, but I just can't get the wife to love the steep price for one.  She is from Japan and says that "Japanese made anything is better and cheaper".  I would love to have one of the ION steam washer/dryer combos from Japan here, as the one that we did have while there was AWESOME!  The market just hasn't opened up in the states for such compactism.  The physical dimensions were small, however the stuff they have over there puts the big expensive models here in the USA to shame all day, unless of course you are totally sold on sheer volume alone.  I live in an RV and live semi-compact lifestyle so a smaller load capacity is a reasonable setback for a washer/dryer combo.  I'll keep you all updated on the status of what I decide.  I did some research on haier and it is 50/50 on product reviews, seems a little too touch and go for my comfort.  The customer service, however is supposed to be excellent.  If anyone knows anything I missed however a pointer in the right direction would be much appreciated.

thanks,

Kevin

thought you all might like this, here they are from singapore: http://go.bestdenki.com.sg/catalog/home-appliances/washer
this is a company that is also in Japan and sells some, but not all of the same models available in that region.  It is all in english.

The last time I saw washers evaluated in Consumer Reports the steam versions didn't rate very well and were not recommended.

ArdraF

We have in our stick house an LG washer/dryer combo ventless and it does a good job.  It is more standard size having a 22 lb capacity.  The wife just loves it, and it gave her more room in the laundry room.  Although she has just filled it up with more yarn for knitting.  Oh well, I just go in to put loads in and take loads out once in a while.

One other thought, if the appliance is wired for 220 volts, changing it to 110 will first cost money, then there is a good chance that you will damage the motor by running it at a low voltage. If your avatar is current, not many Class C rigs are wired for 50 amp, which is not 220 anyway but two 110 legs. 

The money you save buying the cheaper model may disappear trying to change the appliance and the rig to make it work. Just my thoughts. 

SargeW I thought the 220v was for the element not the motor. The only thing i see would be it would take  VERY long time to dry clothes in it wired that way.

I have to concur with Sarge, I believe you need a 50AMP hookup for all washers and dryers.

The Splendide vented combo is the most popular of the washer/dryers used in RVs, followed by the Splendide stackables with the vented dryers. The ventless models are not very popular because of the considerably longer drying times and increased use of water. Because of their popularity, it will be easier to get parts and service for them.

120v dryers do take longer than 240v dryers to dry a load but put far less strain on an RV's electrical system. A 30A system can handle a combo with little to no trouble and a stack set with a little care not to run to many appliances at the same time. 50A services can handle both kinds without any trouble.

Most RV load panels do not support 240v circuits although some people have Mickey Moused one in. Besides violating code, there is the danger that a 50A service might be 120/208v (they still deliver two 120v feeds). Those services are still rare but they are out there, Trying to run a 240v appliance on 208v will probably ruin it, especially if it has a motor in it.

There are some high end RVs that have 240v appliances but they run the same risk of running into a 120/208v service unless they have provisions in place to circumvent the problem, like running the generator or an inverter.

Residential appliances, with the possible exception of apartment sized, are considerably heavier than the ones normally used in RVs.

Excellent summary, Lady Fitz!

In my experience 120v dryers take nearly twice as long as 220v, but in an RV the advantage of being able to run on 30A service (we've even run ours on 20A) trumps the time factor. Besides, we have plenty of time. Just throw a load in the Splendide and go on about our daily activities, and the wash is done later in the day..

A few things I forgot to mention... A Splendide RV washer/dryer combo will wash 15 lb. of clothes but dry only 11 lb.  The stackable will also wash 15 lb. but the dryer can handle 13 lb. Either can handle a set of queen sized bedding and may be able to handle a light to medium weight blanket (depending on the blanket; the blanket would have to be washed separately). Anything heavier will have to be done in a laundromat. One could avoid that by using layers of lighter blankets instead of one heavy one. If one is willing to give up having a quilted bedspread, one might be able to wash a light weight bedspread.

Although they take up more space and weigh more, stackables have the advantage of being able to wash a load while another load is drying. With a combo, one has to weight for the wash/dry cycle to complete before starting another load. With stackables, the more consecutive loads one does, the more time one saves over using a combo. Also, stackable do not have to be stacked. They can be installed side by side (or in separate locations) and even elevated to spare one's back (the combo can also be elevated). It all depends on how much room one has and where the space is located.

One has to change the way clothes are washed and dryed when using RV washers and dryers because of the limited capacity. Figure on having to run a load pretty much every day instead of letting them pile up and doing them all at once on the weekend. While, in theory, one can let a combo wash and dry without any intervention, it is better to pull the clothes out of the machine after the spin cycle, fold them, then put them back in to the dryer to avoid wrinkles. I pretty much do that at home anyway when I move clothes from my washer to my dryer. I shake the wrinkles and tangles out and kinda sorta fold the large items as I toss them in the dryer.

Personally, I couldn't care less about wrinkles in my undies or sheets (or even my jeans) since they will be stretched out when in use and besides, who the heck is going to see them? The advantage of not having sit in a laundromat while doing laundry more than trumps the disadvantages of the smaller, slower machines. Also, my machines stay clean which is more than I can say for most laundromats I've been in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom