Any pilots or aviation geeks out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deal

I spent about a week reading a thread on another forum that was started by an airline pilot who was 'giving back' to the community by offering his insight into any flight oriented question. It turned into an amazingly educational thread with input from an Apache helicopter pilot serving in Afghanistan, many general aviation pilots, etc. The main pilot tells stories of his own flights as well as explains pilot actions in many disasters that have happened over time. He is very good at explaining the technical nature of his job and the extreme attention to safety and procedures that pilots of airliners use to transport us safely. It's a fascinating read if that topic interests you.

Warning, the thread is addictive and will chew many hours of your time if you allow it. Note you can change the settings when viewing to allow 100 posts per page and even at that there are 41 pages to read.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/34/other-other-topics/ask-me-about-being-airline-pilot-flying-general-628324/

Fellow pilot here, CFI MEI Commercial Single engine land and sea, multi engine land, Instrument.
I have criss-crossed the country and up to Alaska several times.

I'm a retired, dual category military pilot with all of the civilian ratings. I've also flown commerically in Part 135 operations. The website is an interesting read, but there are quite alot of 2 digit IQ questions that wouldn't be worth answering.

Skyking> There appears to be more than a few of us who use the Skyking handle. Maybe that's why I had to purchase my own domain to be able to use it in the URL  :)

"You haven't see a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."  -- Amelia Earhart

FLYBOY said:
I'm a retired, dual category military pilot with all of the civilian ratings. I've also flown commerically in Part 135 operations. The website is an interesting read, but there are quite alot of 2 digit IQ questions that wouldn't be worth answering.

Skyking> There appears to be more than a few of us who use the Skyking handle. Maybe that's why I had to purchase my own domain to be able to use it in the URL  :)

"You haven't see a tree until you've seen its shadow from the sky."  -- Amelia Earhart

I have flown a straight tail 310 for 24 years so I chose it with a purpose:)

Checking in.  ATP, FE, CFII, MEI, A&P.  Not doing much flying right now.  Still interested though.  Lots of changes in the industry in the past 20 years.  Not all for the best, in my opinion.

I started in the aviation business in 1959 as a lineboy. 46 years later it was time to really seeing North America instead of checking out its airports and looking down at everything.

When anyone asks why I stayed so long my response is to tell the story of the little old lady (sorry ladies) who watched a lineman servicing the lavs on an airliner. Before pulling off the black cap over the outflow port you should always make sure some clown at the last stop didn't replace the cap and then open the knife valve to the (black) tank. Of course in his inexperience the lineman forgot and when he pulled the cap he got a "blue" shower.

The elder matron walked up and asked: "Young man, can't you find a better job than this?"

"And give up my career in aviation?" answered the neophyte with blue effluent dripping off his nose.

And was that lineboy named Jeff by any chance? :D

Ned said:
And was that lineboy named Jeff by any chance? :D

I got to fuel Cubs,  Champs, Luscombes, and an occasional Bonanza. Ozark started service about five years later.

Jeff, that was the year my 310 was rolled off the line. I bet you have tales to tell. My instructor had a few, like the canadian who flew in for fuel, picked up all the empty beer cans that fell out when he opened the door, cracked another and sat on the tail of the plane while the lineboy fueled it up.

I grew up in the country near Strother Field in Southern Kansas.  I also spent time working around airports fueling planes.  I've been a Private Pilot since 1967, but haven't been an active pilot for many years.  I used to fly a C-172 out of a grass strip in Kansas when I was young.  I took my Son up in it for his first ride in a small plane about 1977.  It got him started and he's now a Captain with Skywest Airlines stationed in Houston.  I just couldn't afford to fly enough to be as proficient as I wanted, so I just quit flying myself.

I especially enjoy the old Warbirds and have been a volunteer at the Lone Star Flight Museum in Galveston for almost 20 years.  I love being around anything with a round engine.  We give rides to help make a few bucks to recover from the tremendous damage from Hurricane Ike in 2008.  We've got a B-17 (Thunderbird), B-25 (Special Delivery), SNJ, PT-17, and a TF-51.  We have many more planes, but these are the only ones certified for rides.  We recently leased land at Ellington Field south of Houston to locate the museum to a safer location.  Even a 100 year storm chance is too much of a risk to take with such precious exhibits.

I also try to make it to Oshkosh whenever I can. 

I wasn't a pilot but I was a military helicopter flight engineer, crew chief, and door gunner.  Three years active duty and eighteen years reserves. 

One helicopter crash in 1969.  See picture below.

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd417/JamesDAllen/PR06731427018.jpg

Worked for Boeing as a manufacturing engineer and a manager for twentyseven years.  I worked on B2, 727, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, & 787 aircraft.

Wife retired from Alaska Air.

JD

I got my Private in 1970, then proceeded on the G.I. Bill to get Commercial, Instrument, Multiengine and CFII. While towing part time for a glider operation in Albuquerque, I got my Glider Commercial, also. When they expanded into a flight school, etc. I was fortunate enough to get to fly a variety of aircraft, from J-3, PA-11, et al, to Great Lakes and Stearman -- wonderful memories!

In the mid-90s I bought into an L-21 (military Super Cub -- see my avatar). I've been inactive, though, for about 10 years now.

8) Retired airline capt, flown lots of general aviation, owned a C-206. My current ride is a land-bound Sprinter (Roadtrek RS Adventurous) which seats six and is certified for IFR, known-ice, has an APU, fridge, microwave & lavatory, and I can actually afford to operate it! Haven't cancelled yet because of weather or maintenance. It is a little slow, however, compared to the Boeings.

It was, for a couple of seasons. Then Cessna came out with the newfangled sleek looking 310 and it was love at first sight  :-*

One of my friends purchased and framed a poster from 1966, with Kirby on the wing of a 320 Skyknight. He was doing the fair and airshow circuit. They had painted "Songbird 3" on that one.
I have it out in my shop:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom