First Time 5th Wheel Pull

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ADubois

Hi there
As I posted in a previous thread I was looking at a Terry TT and wound up buying a 5th wheel. Well tonight I drove it home.  All I've ever towed was TT and with my truck a 97 F350 CC 4x4 Powerstroke my truck rides like it's got 8 sided tires. When I would hook up my TT to the truck it would really get to bouncing on the CA expansion joint highways. I didn't have a weight distribution system on it. The truck could handle the trailer just fine but you couldn't get a way from the bouncing. Well tonight was the first time I've ever towed a 5th wheel. And have never towed anything like a 5th wheel with this truck. It smoothed this truck out so nice it felt like a completely different vehicle. There were sections of highway that I know all to well are bouncy and the truck just flowed over those sections. It was really fun cruising down the road pulling this rig. Man what a nice tow!!! I'm really stoked and can't wait to take it out this weekend if the weather behaves.
Anyhow have a nice evening to all.
Alan

Glad to hear you had an enjoyable first tow experience with the 5th wheel Alan.

Glad to hear you are happy with the new rig!

Yes, a fifth wheel is generally a much nicer tow. You will especially notice the difference if your previous travel trailer was not set up properly. However, you may occasionally encounter a concrete road where the spacing of the expansion joints is exactly wrong for the length of your rig and it can set up an annoying pitching motion.  It's a matter of physics, but fifth wheels sem to react more strongly to it than travel trailers, for some reason. With any sort of luck you won't ever have to drive one of those roads, but I wanted to forewarn you in case it happens.  Nothing's wrong - just find a different highway to use.

You'll also get a pleasant surprise the first time you pull it in a crosswind.  MUCH less propensity to sway, particularly if you are being passed by an 18 wheeler.  5ers are much more stable, at least IMHO.

I've owned a fifth wheel for about 4 years now.  I will never go back to pulling a TT.

Congrats on the new rig!

Finally get to take it out this weekend for the first time sense  buying it. Do to rain and friends wedding. I've not had the chance to take it out. So I'm excited to go camping.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom