Lower Florida Keys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rrountree

Just returned from camping and kayaking in the Lower Keys last week and wrote an article for my blog, floridarambler.com. The focus of the blog is on outdoors recreation, such as kayaking, snorkeling, camping, hiking, etc.  Basically, the article is about things to do, places to camp, where to kayak, where to eat, etc., in the Lower Keys.

Would love it if you travelers out there would take a look -- and add your own experiences, either here on this thread or directly on the blog post.

I'm sure I didn't cover all the bases and want to hear about your visit to the Lower Keys. I'm sure others in this forum would benefit, as well.

(the attached photo is a remote launch site I found for our kayaks on Summerland Key)

Attachments

• lk-summerlandkey-boatlaunch-700_edited-1.jpg
    lk-summerlandkey-boatlaunch-700_edited-1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 59
I would like to go out there but whats it like to drive a motorhome on that highway way out in the ocean?

Also do you have to make reservations way ahead to park  in RV parks on the keys, I would think the space would be limited for RV's.  This is something I may look into a bit later this year.  We like going to Florida, maybe take off on a cruise or something to, IF all works out, hard to plan here it seems.

That's a very lovely site.

Driving an RV on the Overseas Highway through the Keys is a breeze. The "new" bridges are wide with shoulders, unlike the old bridges that were taken out of service in the 1980s and early '90s.

If you plan to go to the Keys during peak winter season, January to March, then you should make your reservations early, 11 months in advance for the four state parks in the Keys -- Pennekamp, Long Key, Curry Hammock and Bahia Honda.  Keep in mind there are often cancellations as snowbirds change their itineraries, so random checks right up to the time you arrive are definitely worthwhile. (Florida State Parks are booked online through ReserveAmerica.)

RV sites in private campgrounds are not as difficult to reserve, but they can get expensive -- $80 and up. Still cheaper than a motel room or cabin, but a little stiff compared to the state parks ($36). State parks elsewhere in Florida are less expensive.

The slowest periods in the Keys are after Easter until early June, then after Labor Day until just before Thanksgiving. Summers are busy with Floridians, and snowbirds flood the Keys in winter.

And thanks for visiting my blog! Hope you find some useful info there. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom