Motor home Registered By Chassis Build Year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wincom6

I just received the title from the state of Pennsylvania, for my 2004 Meridian. The vehicle is on a Freightliner 2003 chassis.  The state registered it as a 03 model.  The vehicle had a  2004 Ohio title. Has anyone had this happen? and do I have any appeal? Thank you in advance for your information[/size][/size].

I had the same thing happen when I imported our RV to Nova Scotia, all I did was bring the previous paperwork showing that Coachmen showed it as a 2001, on a 2000 Freightliner chassis, and they corrected it.

Ed

The year of the chassis is irrelevant, it should be titled according to the year that Winnebago assigned to the coach, 2004.

You might want to consider the tax bite and leave it an 03.>>>Dan  ( My 98 sits on a 97 chassis, engine and trans, I'm not complaining.>>>D

Thank you Ed and Ned for your help.

Thanks Dan but the tax in Pennsylvinia would be the same, they charge percentage of the price you pay minis your trade in. I?m thinking that if I want to trade or sale it the buyers will want to try to get the price down based on the year. 

Per federal law, the year of the vehicle is that assigned by the manufacturer on the original Certificate of Origin. That is what Ohio used on their title. The chassis VIN is NOT the determining factor and you should go back to the PA DMV and ask them to correct their mistake. If the clerk insists the VIN code is the controlling date, ask to speak to a supervisor until to find somebody who knows the relevant law. That change of model year is worth several thousand dollars of depreciation.

Wincom6 - I tried to attach a pdf file with a letter sent by a Federal trade Commission official discussing the issue and citing federal regulations that require the model year to be the year the motor home builder specifies, not the incomplete chassis model year. However it is too large. If you want to send me a PM with your email address I will send it to you.

I had the same problem our old coach was a 2003 on a 2002 Ford .Called Winebago and they sent me a letter to give the DMV and they then changed the title to 2003.

Wonder if I can get that done in Texas, they did the same thing to me.  I bought an 05 and Texas put 04 on my title, I agree, I lost money at that moment.

PatrioticStabilist said:
Wonder if I can get that done in Texas, they did the same thing to me.  I bought an 05 and Texas put 04 on my title, I agree, I lost money at that moment.
Several years ago, we purchased an 01 on a 00 chassis in TX. The seller did not catch it until she dug her papers out to sell to us. She was able to get it changed to 01, either before or during our purchase of the unit.

I feel your pain. Our 2010 Jayco Seneca is on a 2008 Kodiak. Luckily, GM delayed the start of the warranty.

Ken

By federal law, the year of the vehicle is that assigned by the final manufacturer on the Certificate of Origin. That is the year that MST go on the title. The VIN is NOT the controlling date, no matter what a DMV or insurance clerk says. Insist that they correct their error - somebody in their hirarchy will know and understand the relevant law.

Thanks, since we are getting ready to sell it, I will do it soon as possible, maybe I can at least get a corrected title.  But I don't have a certificate of origin since I'm not the original owner.  Can I request that from Winnebago?  My insurance carrier did the same.

The Manufactuer's Certificate of Origin was turned in to get the original vehicle title. That year from the MCO should have made it onto the title, and should have progressed from that title to yours when the vehicle changed hands. Are you saying they arbitrarily changed the year on the title? In that case, they should already have the documentation (previous title) on file.

Contact Winnie Owner Relations - I think they can provide you with an an official letter concerning the correct model year.

An error such as this may have been there for years and escaped notice until now. Or it may have crept in on the last change of ownership and the State DOT should be able to correct it without creating too much havoc.... But civil servants are civil servants!!!!

Get the info from Winnebago if possible and have at least some official documentation to argue with.

The VIN is NOT the controlling date, no matter what a DMV or insurance clerk says. Insist that they correct their error - somebody in their hierarchy will know and understand the relevant law.

Whoops I had the current registration in the cabinet and looked at it;  its correct, its the insurance that has it as a 2004.

After reading this post I decided to check my Title and PennDOT registered my 2006 Adventurer as a 2005. I contacted Winnebago owner relations and within 20 minutes they emailed me a letter stating that my M/H should be registered as a 2006. I'll be in touch with PennDOT to have the corretcion made to my title. Thanks to this "AWSOME"  forum and Winnebago for the heads up and help. ;D

One thought, with so many manufacturers having gone out of business, some people may not be so lucky as to get a letter to take into the DOT.  So, be carefull when or if you are moving intra State/Province, or buying a used unit.  Once you pass over the previous registration you loose that record of what year was showing on the previous registration.

Ed

Back
Top Bottom