Hitch mounted bike rack on toad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dar

Would like to hear from those of you that transport your bikes via hitch mounted bike rack on your toad? How long, how often, what kind of rack? The reason I ask is the bike rack instructions advice against using them on trailers/towed cars so I would like to hear from those that have done this successfully or unsuccessfully if you wouldn't mind. Thanks for taking the time.

We used a trunk mounted rack on our Honda Accord LX and have a hitch mount for our Canyon.  Both worked ok, except when we dragged the hitch mount through Canyon de Chelly :)

Wall Mart sells one for under $100.00. it fits in your 2" receiver and is a tray that holds up to 250 lbs. great for many uses including bikes.>>>Dan

I custom made a bike rack that straps on to the spare tire on the back of my CJ7 Jeep. I have carried both my road bike as well as my wife's without any trouble for the last 8 years. I think the combined worth of the bikes is greater than the Jeep so, believe me, if I had any concerns I would not transport them like that.

Jay T

When I was researching bicycle racks I saw what the bicycle cops used in my city.  It is the Alsop softride www.softride.com/ .  Have used it a number of years now and many thousands of miles.  My only complaint is that the supplied straps are subject to drying and uv deterioration.  This is easily solved by going with a bungee cord.  Safe, secure and drops down for easy bike loading and unloading.  Drop it down and can open the lift gate on my Cherokee. Also can remove the arms when not carrying bikes and it is as if it is completely removed.

we have a rack that goes into the receiver hitch on the Jeep.  seems to work fine but the bikes get road grime if it rains.  pics.

Attachments

• IMG_5675 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_5675 (Medium).JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_5676 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_5676 (Medium).JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 24
Thanks everyone for the suggestions/photos. I researched bike racks for more than a month and had finally purchased what I thought was stable/secure enough based on reviews, biking forums, ect. Purchased a Thule Doubletrack, assembled, installed & tested bikes the same day delivered and was pretty happy with the purchase. Later in the evening read all the print after the instructions (I know, should have read first :-[ ) only to find it state "not for use on trailers or towed vehicles :eek: ". Well, burst my bubble! So I have to ask myself, why? On a trailer I can understand because most likely the suspension but with a towed car? I realize a towed car gets jurked around more than when being driven but, well, just...but. So since I have seen many a bike rack on towed cars I guess I was just wondering if there were allot of bike rack failures out there that I, or the others doing it just were not aware of.

Post a pic... it's probably as good as any of them but the lawyers write most of the instruction manuals anymore.  Half of the manual is full of warnings and don'ts.

If you are really concerned you could get one of these and put the bike rack in the upper receiver and the towbar in the lower receiver.

Attachments

• IMG_5678 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_5678 (Medium).JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 43
taoshum said:
we have a rack that goes into the receiver hitch on the Jeep.  seems to work fine but the bikes get road grime if it rains.  pics.
I was considering doing the same thing, but I did not like the idea of the tail lights being blocked by the bikes - LEO's might not either.

Molaker said:
I was considering doing the same thing, but I did not like the idea of the tail lights being blocked by the bikes - LEO's might not either.

Light comes thru spokes pretty well but it could be an issue I guess.  The tail lights on the RV are clearly visible since they are so high.

Oh well.

Could you put them on a roof rack on the toad? We have a roof rack on the VW where we can carry the bikes, also have a hitch rack on the motorhome.

Wendy

::)
taoshum said:
Post a pic... it's probably as good as any of them but the lawyers write most of the instruction manuals anymore.  Half of the manual is full of warnings and don'ts.
My first thought as well. I attached a photo from a website for a clearer pic. I went digging and found this statement on Thules website concerning all of their hitch mounting racks (NOW I find this :mad: ? LOL);
"All Thule Hitch Mount instructions state not to install them on any towed vehicle.  Thule does not test the hitch carriers on motorhomes as the length of the vehicle puts extra stress on the drawbar which will cause the rack to fail. We suggest that you check with your local rv dealer for alternatives."

So don't use on MH, towed car or trailer....ok, got it.....so....RVers shop elsewhere? LOL

Attachments

• DoubleTrack.jpg
    DoubleTrack.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 15
Dar said:
::) My first thought as well. I attached a photo from a website for a clearer pic. I went digging and found this statement on Thules website concerning all of their hitch mounting racks (NOW I find this :mad: ? LOL);
"All Thule Hitch Mount instructions state not to install them on any towed vehicle.  Thule does not test the hitch carriers on motorhomes as the length of the vehicle puts extra stress on the drawbar which will cause the rack to fail. We suggest that you check with your local rv dealer for alternatives."

So don't use on MH, towed car or trailer....ok, got it.....so....RVers shop elsewhere? LOL

Maybe some one who is using this model will jump in here.  I thought you were gonna put the bike rack on the back of your toad?  If so, I don't see the difference between driving the vehicle and towing it.  I guess you remove the bicycle wheels from the bicycle frame and stow them inside somewhere?  Good Grief, it's getting complex.

taoshum said:
I thought you were gonna put the bike rack on the back of your toad?  If so, I don't see the difference between driving the vehicle and towing it.
Yes, at least that was the original plan and I think still is.
taoshum said:
I guess you remove the bicycle wheels from the bicycle frame and stow them inside somewhere?  Good Grief, it's getting complex.
???? this is a platform rack, you have to leave the wheels on. Actually it is extremely easy and fast to use.

I love & appreciate everyone's ideas about the double recevier on the back of the motorhome and did consider it previously as well as a roof rack on the toad (my personal favorite) but I am short with a bad back and hubby has one arm so hard for either of us to get anything up too high which is the main reason I went with a platform style on the toad idea(pathetic pair aren't we? LOL).

At this point one would say, good lord woman, leave those darn bikes at home which I did say to myself but then later said to self, I want my bikes darn it and I am taking them! This is not rocket science darnit ::) ! Or is it :eek: ?

So do me a favor since I have convinced myself to quit bothering you good people and just do it, if in your travels you see a Thule Doubletrack, a Diamond Back and a Trek in the road would you please call me and let me know, I would be extremely greatful!

If your toad has a way to do it, run a couple of straps through the bike wheels, around the rack and around the bumper.  Those racks tend to waggle back there and the straps dampen that motion, as well as provide additional security.

If you've got the Thule and you've got it installed and you like it, quit worrying about what some stupid lawyer-written warning says about not mounting it on a towed vehicle. I bet it's just a case of CYA because they haven't "tested" the rack on the back of a toad. Go enjoy yourselves.

Wendy

We have a Thule on our Jeep toad, similar to that of taoshum. Other than picking up dirt/etc. from the road, it's pretty much ideal, in my mind. It comes with a strap that I wrap around each wheel and around the vertical support on the rack, which keeps the bikes from rattling around back there. I don't remove the wheels. I also have a Kryptonite lock I bought for my motorcycle years ago, and it fits nicely around a bike wheel and the rack -- it's quite a bit longer than what I see in bike stores.

Thanks for the success stories and glad to hear a Thule has survived it Larry. This one has integrated locks, no removing anything, sits on the wheels, ratcheting hooks lock down on the frame. I'm keeping it and using it and over worrying about it  ;D ! Wendy you sound like my DH, LOL and you are both right. I can't believe I let the attorneys get to me ::) .

Back
Top Bottom