A fantastic trip in the west, that turns to nightmare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lmdesert

Hello all. We are a French couple.
We started our trip June 17, 2010 in Denver.
We rented an RV C25 almost new at Camping World International.
Step one was in Colorado Springs, Garden of the Gods RV Park. Nice day biking in the park of Garden of the Gods.
Then we arrived June 19 at Great Sand Dunes National Park. Unfortunately it was Saturday and the campground was full. We spent the night at the RV Park near the park entrance. It was OK.

The next day we took the road to Mesa Verde NP where we spent two nights camping in the park. This is a very nice camping.
On June 22, we took the road to the Needles in Canyonlands NP. This is a wonderful place. We stayed two nights and had a very beautiful hike.
And then we got to Arches NP, where we had booked a camping site at Devil's Garden campground. It was June 24, 2010.
The next morning we went hiking in Devil's Garden, and on our return, we discovered that our RV had been completely destroyed by fire. All we had now was our hiking clothes, our backpacks and our bikes.
It was a disaster but it allowed us to experience the kindness of Americans, especially the park rangers who helped us a lot later.
But that is another story and we tell it in our blog (see signature line).
We still do not know why the RV caught fire while we were not there, it was closed and nothing was lighted inside. After a year of investigations by three insurance companies, there is still no explanation.

What we do know is that we met  great people in Moab. Be sure we will return!
Edit: Removed duplicate link.

There are more ways for fires to start than I can imagine.. and even with "nothing lit" there are electrical loads, and some things may still be lit that you'd not think of, a gas leak and a spark, somethign on the engine.  sparks from campfires blowing in the wind.. Arson, and a host of other things too many to list.

I'm sure the investigators know the full list and are working on it. Thus, you are in good health.

Very few people burn to death from fire in RV's.. The stuff they make them of is very nasty when burned, and thus one or two lungfuls of "Smoke" and you are a goner..

The investigation reports have been completed. We have been told by Camping World that the cause of the fire inside the vehicle could not be determined by the 3 investigators. We asked for the reports but they did not send them to us. They offered us a monetary compensation that we finally accepted. I think that we will never know how did the fire triggered.
But you are right, nobody was hurt and, thanks god, the absence of wind prevented the fire from spreading to vegetation and then to other campsites...

Since this was a rented RV, was the renter (Camping World) reimbursed by one of the insurance companies for the loss of their RV, or are you responsible for that?

After a year of investigations by three insurance companies .....

Could you please explain which three insurance companies were involved and who they represented?

Very sorry to read about your bad experience with the RV fire. It appears you made the best of a bad situation and continued on. I also think you would experience the same kindness from Americans for the most part in any part of the country you might visit. On a side note, I must say you have posted some absolutely beautiful photos on your blog. Thanks for sharing.

Walter

Since this was a rented RV, was the renter (Camping World) reimbursed by one of the insurance companies for the loss of their RV, or are you responsible for that?
I think that they were reimbursed by their own insurance company. Camping World offered us a monetary compensation  that we finally accepted.

Could you please explain which three insurance companies were involved and who they represented?
The three insurance companies were working for
1. Camping World
2. Constructor (Thor Industries, the RV was a Fourwind Chalet)
3. Devices supplier (fridge, stove, clim...)
We asked for the investigation reports but Camping World did not answer about that :-[
This why we finally accepted the monetary compensation, even if we had lost much more value in the fire.

I also think you would experience the same kindness from Americans for the most part in any part of the country you might visit.
I'm sure about that, but I can only talk about what I know!! :)

Very nice blog and wonderful pictures! I'm sorry that you had to go through all of this but at least you got to finish your trip and see some spectacular places.

In my opinion Camping World did not treat you right! I don't know if it'll do any good but you could try emailing  Marcus Lemonis Chairman and CEO FreedomRoads, Camping World and RVs.com  Email - [email protected]
He posts on another RV forum and seems to very willing to resolve problems. I know that you already settled but it couldn't hurt to try. God luck!

Thank you very much, tonyandkaren, for your advice.
Now the case is closed because we have accepted the compensation and we signed the Property Damage Release. I believe Camping World when they say that the investigations gave no conclusion: I saw the wreck of the RV. There was nothing left. It was moved  2 days after the fire and insurance investigations were not conducted on site.
If I have something wrong with Camping World, it's more of us left alone, unaided, in Moab, and that it took three days to speak to a manager on the phone. Fortunately, the people of Moab have helped us!

PS I have visited your website. You are champions!!

I'm so sorry for the troubles you had, but so glad the great folks helped you out.

Devils' Garden...  devil at play in the RV?

By the way, for future reference, for anyone that ends up in this unfortunate situation, or something similar,  call the nearest RED CROSS (they are an international relief agency scattered through towns around the world).  They are set up to  have immediate help available, they often  have emergency aid already  in place, ready to roll,  to get you new  clothes, communications, hotel, food and so on to get you  jump started towards sorting your immediate needs out, while you deal with the rest of the  disaster.

I am appalled that Camping World did nothing to help you out at all for days. Good grief. I would have expected an employee from the closest location to show up in person on the scene as soon as possible to help you sort out your immediate needs.  They could have even called Red Cross to come to your immediate aid.  Red Cross will travel to the scene of your disaster.

It's the first few hours and days after a disaster that are the worst, when you need the most help. I am so glad the good people in Moab helped you out. What a frightening thing to have happened to you!

I saw your blog, it's  fantastic blog with outstanding photos. I am envious.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom